With Heroes Like These, Who Needs Enemies?

bcs_cliven_bundy

I just don’t see the America Independent Party going very far with candidates like this.

“The reason I’m excited to be here tonight is because Cliven Bundy is my hero,” said Janine Hansen, a candidate for Congress from Nevada’s 2nd congressional district who was among the speakers honoring Bundy at Friday’s IAP event. [...]

“We cannot allow this incredible opportunity that Cliven has given us to die,” Hansen said.

The Independent Party is backing a state bill that would seize land from the federal government. Never mind that that’s not actually possible.

I have no doubt that you could find a not-insignificant number of people in the West that would support similar legislation but, when you make Cliven Bundy — a dyed in the wool racist — a central figure or “hero” of your party, you’re severely limiting the number of people you can appeal to.

The number of people who will publicly support a man who appeared before cameras and said black people were better off as slaves is actually quite small even if they agree with him in private.

This entry was posted in Wingnuts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • RenoRick

    Even though I’ve stated this before in the comments on another story ABOUT this fuckin’ moocher, I feel the need to state it when I see stories on here. NEVADA DOESN’T HAVE THE RESOURCES TO MANAGE ALL THE LAND IN THE STATE!!! THAT IS ONE OF THE REASONS WHY THE FEDS OWN IT!!! She’s lived here a hundred years so she should know better too.

  • Shannon Combs

    Am I the only one who finds it ironic that someone running for an office in government is supporting someone who doesn’t believe in the U.S. government existing?

  • muselet

    It would be nice if meatheads like Cliven Bundy and Janine Hansen actually bothered to read the constitution of the state of Nevada. From the Ordinance:

    That the people inhabiting said territory do agree and declare, that they forever disclaim all right and title to the unappropriated public lands lying within said territory, and that the same shall be and remain at the sole and entire disposition of the United States; and that lands belonging to citizens of the United States, residing without the said state, shall never be taxed higher than the land belonging to the residents thereof; and that no taxes shall be imposed by said state on lands or property therein belonging to, or which may hereafter be purchased by, the United States, unless otherwise provided by the congress of the United States.

    So much for the loud claims that federal land in Nevada isn’t really federal land.

    Article 1, Section 2:

    Purpose of government; paramount allegiance to United States.  All political power is inherent in the people[.] Government is instituted for the protection, security and benefit of the people; and they have the right to alter or reform the same whenever the public good may require it. But the Paramount Allegiance of every citizen is due to the Federal Government in the exercise of all its Constitutional powers as the same have been or may be defined by the Supreme Court of the United States; and no power exists in the people of this or any other State of the Federal Union to dissolve their connection therewith or perform any act tending to impair[,] subvert, or resist the Supreme Authority of the government of the United States. The Constitution of the United States confers full power on the Federal Government to maintain and Perpetuate its existance [existence], and whensoever any portion of the States, or people thereof attempt to secede from the Federal Union, or forcibly resist the Execution of its laws, the Federal Government may, by warrant of the Constitution, employ armed force in compelling obedience to its Authority.

    So much for Bundy’s belief that the US government doesn’t exist.

    The “incredible opportunity” given to imbeciles like Janine Hansen is the opportunity to get laughed out of every court in the state and the country.

    Geez. Even Sean Hannity knew when it was time to cut his loses with this jagoff.

  • Hemisemidemiquaver

    Just think of the possibilities for debates in 2016: Hilary Clinton for the Democrats, Jeb Bush for the GOP and Cliven Bundy for the AIP.

    Would that it be so.