Worst Persons in the World

This makes me visibly angry.

A 17-year-old girl was kicked out of prom by a group of fathers who clearly spent more time thinking about her dress than their boys probably did.

After Clare and her boyfriend bought tickets to the Richmond Homeschool Prom, she bought a new dress that she made sure was long enough according to the event’s “fingertip length” rule. But Clare is 5’9″, and even though the hem of her dress was within the guidelines, she says her long legs led some chaperones to assume she was breaking the dress code.

After Clare and her friends hung out a little bit on the dance floor — she writes that they weren’t even dancing, just “swaying with the music and talking and enjoying ourselves” — Clare was pulled away by one of the dance’s organizers, who told her that some of the fathers chaperoning the event had complained about her. They reportedly said that her dancing was too “provocative” and she was going to “cause the young men at the prom to think impure thoughts.”

I suspect the fathers had “impure thoughts” about the girl and that’s the real reason why they asked her to leave.

Clare apparently thought the same thing.

“I’m not responsible for some perverted 45 year old dad lusting after me because I have a sparkly dress on and a big ass for a teenager. And if you think I am, then maybe you’re part of the problem.”

No shit. I sincerely hope the names of these shit-heel fathers are properly sullied.

The idea that their 17-year-old boys weren’t already having all manner of “impure thoughts” regardless of dress is fucking laughable. And who are these fathers anyway? Jehovah’s Witness?

(via ThinkProgress)

This entry was posted in Misogyny, Worst Persons and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://cendax.wordpress.com/ Norbrook

    As I recall from being a 17-year-old boy, all that was required to start impure thoughts was that girl in question be a) female; b) not unattractive. After that, the only thing that whatever she was wearing did was to determine the level of impurity.

    • gescove

      Really, all that was required was A).

      • http://cendax.wordpress.com/ Norbrook

        No, that was when I was 15. I became a little more selective by 17.

        • Razor

          men of any age will fuck anything that lets them. I’ve fucked a jar of Vaseline.

  • captkurt

    Based on their words and actions, these fathers seem to be adhering to Sharia Law. Fox News should be alerted, and the fathers duly investigated as secret Muslims.

  • gescove

    American Taliban insisting that women wear burqas lest they inflame the lust that men are powerless to control. Part of the problem? No… the entire problem, right there, in a nutshell.

  • Olivia

    Check out the photos in the Think Progress story. I am pretty sure that impurity of dress wasn’t the reason she was asked to leave. If the handsome young man in the photo was her date, I would bet money that he offended the pure adults in the room by being a few shades darker than the young lady.

  • muselet

    I’m going to guess quite a few wives were surprised that night by their husbands’ … erm … enthusiasm when they got home from chaperone duty at the prom.

    According to Opposing Views, the Richmond Homeschool Prom’s Facebook page was quickly inundated with negative comments about the incident. The page’s administrators deleted all the comments and shut down the page.

    Of course they did.

    –alopecia

  • burbank_burt

    Several thoughts . . .
    1. The boyfriend doesn’t feel it was racism (http://www.hannahettinger.com/an-update-on-clare/), and I’ll take his word on that.

    2. Based on the story this young woman has told (http://www.hannahettinger.com/fuck-the-patriarchy-guest-post-by-clare/), here’s my 2¢: I think the woman that stopped her at the door and told her that her dress was too short was angry that the girl proved she was wrong about the length of her dress (see also #4, below). The woman then stewed a bit, contrived the reason that “the men were having impure thoughts” and unilaterally decided to kick her out. — That doesn’t mean that the husbands weren’t leering and drooling . . . I just don’t think that was the actual reason that the woman kicked her out.

    3. I think her dress was more than acceptable. It wasn’t skin-tight, showing too much skin, nor ridiculously short.

    4. The woman that threw her out is an angry, old prude.

    5. All the kids should get their money back.

    6. I am filled with Schadenfreude at the amount of coverage this story has received. And it won’t end either. When they capitulate and refund the other kids’ money (or in fact don’t) this story will get additional play.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Note: Your links don’t work because they contain an extra “)” at the end. You can edit your comment to fix that.

      Other than that, very well stated.

      • burbank_burt

        Fixed. Thanks Christopher!

  • mrbrink

    Clare said what really needs to be said more often. That’s a huge advancement for Home Schooling.

  • tomshefchik

    Re-pig-lickin’s are so much like the Taliban. Females must be slut shamed because they themselves are emotionally immature.

  • Christopher Foxx

    and she was going to “cause the young men at the prom to think impure thoughts.”

    They’re teenagers. The balloons decorating the prom will cause the young men to think impure thoughts.