Afghan Captive Released

Artist — Dan Wasserman

In other events,

The Niels Bugge Cartoon Award asked illustrators and cartoonists from around the world to submit drawings based on a basic theme: climate. “Oceans are in our hands,” the contest proclaimed, urging participants from 75 countries to put forth their best (and satirical) interpretation of the singular global concern.

Here are some of the submissions, and here are the winners. I was going to use one for today’s cartoon, but they were all so profoundly sad and beautiful, I couldn’t decide which one to post. What do you think?

And, this is one I’m sure Alopecia can appreciate:

Bill Watterson, the famously reclusive creator of beloved comic strip Calvin and Hobbes, returned to your newspaper’s comics page this week, and you probably didn’t even notice.

And finally, I laughed the laugh of laughs over this: “LeVar Burton’s New ‘Reading Rainbow’ Theme Song Is Unexpectedly Disturbing.”

Have a great week, everyone.

This entry was posted in Afghanistan, Cartoons, Open Thread, President Obama and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    1) I think Pawel Kuczynski’s cartoon in particular is gorgeous, subtle and absolutely heartbreaking.

    2) Thanks for bringing Bill Watterson’s contributions to my attention. (I’d never have known otherwise, since I despise Pearls Before Swine.) I owe you one.

    3) Quoth Uproxx commenter “thecursor”: “Kneel before Kunta! KNEEEEEEEEL!”

    –alopecia

  • Treading_Water

    You think Levar Burton went dark? I’ll show you dark.

    The Lizard King reads too.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBRYsAfchkY#t

    • mrbrink

      I love Jimmy’s take on that and I sing it all the time in my best Jimmy-does-Morrison voice. Slays me. I’ll be singing it now throughout the day. I should say thank you.

  • Ellen Kuhlmann

    The MacKinnon one spoke to me, perhaps because as a sometime fisherman the symbolism hit me on a few levels. The Galindo one was funny, and loved many of the others, a poignant subject.

    And thanks for the tip on Watterson, so loved Calvin and Hobbs, enjoyed reading the blog post, as well as the strips he contributed to, great story!