All For Nothing

AllForNothing

Artist – John Cole

In other news, Representative Kevin Cramer (R-ND) says he’s “not even sure” if discrimination is a real problem. No one has complained to him before, so it probably doesn’t exist.

Meanwhile, Senators Chris Murphy (D) and Bob Corker (R) have proposed increasing the federal gasoline and diesel tax by 12 cents over the next 10 years to pay for infrastructure. And that’s well and good, but their proposal also calls for offsetting the tax hike by making certain tax cuts permanent.

We live in an era when we’re expected to offset tax hikes with tax cuts, making the tax hike pointless to begin with, to ensure its neutrality just to have a chance of making it through a filibuster.

This entry was posted in Iraq, Open Thread, Taxes and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Ipecac

    We live in an era when we’re expected to offset tax hikes with tax cuts, making the tax hike pointless to begin with, to ensure its neutrality just to have a chance of making it through a filibuster.

    And it almost always makes the tax system more regressive.

    • Sabyen91

      Chris Murphy should have thought “Gee, there must be something wrong if I am proposing this with freaking Bob Corker.”

    • Christopher Foxx

      What filibuster? Nobody ever actually has to filibuster anymore. They just say they would and folks run scared.

      MAKE them stand there and actually state their case (about the only thin the Texas legislature does right) and the filibuster will all but disappear.

  • PAL52

    Thanks, for nothing, Chris Murphy fro backing an economic wash and a political giveaway. The GOP counter-proposal on the floor will be “Why don’t we streamline this idea a little and just not do the gas-tax part. Waddaya say?”