Bergdhazi

According to the New York Times, meetings that members of the media have had with disgruntled members of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl’s former platoon are being arranged by Republican strategists.

“Yes, I’m angry,” Joshua Cornelison, a former medic in Sergeant Bergdahl’s platoon, said in an interview on Monday arranged by Republican strategists. [...]

“He wouldn’t drink beer or eat barbecue and hang out with the other 20-year-olds,” Cody Full, another member of Sergeant Bergdahl’s platoon, said in an interview on Monday also arranged by Republican strategists.

And according to Buzzfeed, the “strategists” that the New York Times refused to name is Richard Grenell.

Grenell, as you may recall, served as an adviser to Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign for just two weeks before resigning because people discovered that he was moonlighting as a raging douchebag on Twitter.

Grenell also served as a spokesman for Mark “Hiking the Appalachian Trail” Sanford and as an aide to John Bolton.

While I don’t believe we have anywhere near the full story, saying that he “wouldn’t drink beer or eat barbecue” isn’t exactly a sound indictment.

In regards to his rescue, the circumstances of Bergdahl’s disappearance are irrelevant. To argue otherwise is to argue that there are circumstances in which it’s okay to leave an American service member in prison overseas forever. That is the current position of the Republican party; that we should leave people behind if they refuse to drink beer and eat barbecue like Real Americans.

Did you, in your wildest dreams, imagine that we would see a day when Republicans attack an administration for rescuing an America from a Taliban prison?

General Martin E. Dempsey, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, released this statement today.

In response to those of you interested in my personal judgments about the recovery of SGT Bowe Bergdahl, the questions about this particular soldier’s conduct are separate from our effort to recover ANY U.S. service member in enemy captivity. This was likely the last, best opportunity to free him. As for the circumstances of his capture, when he is able to provide them, we’ll learn the facts. Like any American, he is innocent until proven guilty. Our Army’s leaders will not look away from misconduct if it occurred. In the meantime, we will continue to care for him and his family. Finally, I want to thank those who for almost five years worked to find him, prepared to rescue him, and ultimately put themselves at risk to recover him.

Is Bergdahl a distraction from Benghazi, or is Benghazi a distraction from Bergdahl? What is the hottest fake scandal at the moment? This calls for a focus test.

This entry was posted in Ethics and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    The GOP and its cohort’s desire to punish seems to be getting stronger with each passing year.

    I’ve been saying for some time that voting Republican these days has become an act of aggression, viz., an effort to punish people who can’t defend themselves for being the undeserving beneficiaries of some public largesse. They don’t deserve to be helped; they deserve to be shamed and made to suffer for their personal deficiencies. This is just a variation on that theme.

  • Clancy

    I cannot fathom how anyone could even contemplate arguing that the circumstances of his capture, his personal relationships with his cohorts, his politics, or even his parents’ politics should play any role whatsoever in determining if he was worthy of saving. He became worthy of saving the second he put on the uniform and we sent him into harm’s way. Period. If this kid has done something wrong, or if he violated any oath or laws, that’s for the U.S. military justice system to determine, not some Congressman, not Sarah Palin, and most definitely not the Taliban.

    BTW, It’s heartening to hear conservatives think it would be okay to let me rot in some enemy prison somewhere if I was ever captured during war. I had no idea that my dislike for bbq and being a teetotaler meant that I wasn’t a real American.

  • Teddy’s Person

    I’d like to know who’s paying Grenell. My sense is that the dude doesn’t do anything for free.

  • trgahan

    Poor, Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.

    If the President had only been the right party and skin color he would have been on the Today Show within 48 hours, book deal inked, movie rights sold, and have a set of Super Bowl tickets!
    Tough luck! Now he will spend the rest of his life a punching bag for the never outraged,
    racist, or resentful, non-authoritarian bent, independent, fiscal conservatives
    of our country.

    “wouldn’t drink beer or eat barbecue” isn’t exactly a sound indictment.”

    My other favorite totally unverifiable “indictment” so far is from a fellow serviceman who, in a Daily Beast article, claimed that Bergdahl “clearly deserted” because he disappeared in the night leaving everything including gun, helmet, and pack. He apparently only took his compass.

    Aside from fact that some Taliban footage clearing showing Sgt. Bergdahl wearing a
    helmet (I know it may not be his, but at this point it has the same weight as any of his fellow servicemen’s (or GOP funded stand-ins) opinions of what happened) who would attempt to run away in hostile territory without even their pack?

    • stacib23

      Do you remember the name of the female serviceperson who the Bush administration tried desperately to turn into a hero? Was her name Jessica something? At any rate, if the Republicans were sitting in the White House, we would have never heard the part about this guy being a possible deserter.

      • Badgerite

        Jessica Lynch.

    “Did you, in your wildest dreams, imagine that we would see a day when
    Republicans attack an administration for rescuing an America from a
    Taliban prison?”

    I would have thought it to be expected, what with the Islamunofascist-Pretender-TheSherrifIsNear-in-Chief now illegally being black while in the USofByGodA.

    BENGHAAAAAAAAAAAAAZI

  • Brutlyhonest

    Further proof that the true believers of “The Party” truly are against anything this President does.

  • muselet

    The funniest part of Cody Full’s complaint about Bowe Bergdahl (via TPM):

    “He was always in his bunk. He ordered Rosetta Stone for all the languages there, learning Dari and Arabic and Pashto.”

    Someone posted to Afghanistan wanted to learn how to speak the local languages. Weird, right? Drinking beer and eating barbecue and hanging out is a far more productive use of one’s time in such a situation.

    What a twit.

    –alopecia

    • Chris Winfield

      You spelled tw@t wrong.

      It is, by definition, un-murrikan to be larnin’ all that forrn jibber-jabber.

      I’s ‘prized yew don’t know that, son.

      • http://vermillionbrain.blogspot.com/ Vermillion

        Indeed, the only language Murrikans need is Murrikan and YELLING MURRIKAN LOUDLY AND SLOWLY TO GET THE POINT ACROSS TO THE DUMB FURRINER.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Just further proof that there’s nothing the Evil Kenyan Atheist Muslim Nazi Pinko Commie Usurper can do that the GOP won’t piss on.

  • T.j. Thomas

    And the Republicans keep digging themselves deeper and deeper and deeper.

  • Christopher Foxx

    Did you, in your wildest dreams, imagine that we would see a day when Republicans attack an administration for rescuing an America from a Taliban prison?

    Nope. Not in my wildest dreams. In my every day musings.

    It was a certainty that the Republicans would attack Obama for this. Because it’s something Obama did, and this is who they are.

    Obama could have personally lead Seal Team 6 into the compound, killed Bin Laden himself, and then successfully completed a series of solo missions that rescued/found every single missing soldier. And the Republicans would say each and every one of those things shouldn’t have been done.

    Every time a Republican objects to Bergdhal’s release they should be immediately challenged right in the face with “Why are you in favor of leaving American soldiers in captivity?”

  • Christopher Foxx

    disgruntled members of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl’s former platoon

    I wouldn’t want to depend on any one of these “servicemen” to have my back. They disgrace their uniforms.

      Wouldn’t surprise me to find that those platoon members lovingly stroke the scripture passages engraved on their weapons.

      And/or are trying to find a supplier for the square bullets for their Puckle guns. (the square bullets were specifically designed for to kill the heathen Mohammedans)

      • Christopher Foxx

        Wouldn’t surprise me to find that those platoon members lovingly stroke the scripture passages engraved on their weapons.

        Given the speed with which they turned on their brother-in-arms in captivity, it would surprise me if they didn’t. That kind of betrayal usually only comes from the over self-righteous.