Ted Cruz Wants to Impeach a Fictional Attorney General

CruzOathkeepers

Senator Ted Cruz (R-Texas) has introduced a resolution to impeach Attorney General Eric Holder over the fake IRS non-scandal, but the fictional person he describes doesn’t sound anything like the real man.

“If attorney general Eric Holder continues to refuse to appoint a special prosecutor, he should be impeached,” Cruz said on the Senate floor. “When an attorney general refuses to enforce the law, when an attorney general mocks the rule of law, when an attorney general corrupts the Department of Justice by conducting a nakedly partisan investigation to cover up political wrongdoing, that conduct by any reasonable measure constitutes high crimes and misdemeanors.”

I don’t know who this “nakedly partisan” man is, but it’s not the man currently serving as the attorney general.

On the contrary, Eric Holder takes the rule of law more seriously than anyone I can recall in recent history, but justice is not found in pushing the boundaries of what you can enforce or who you can imprison. Justice is more than that; it’s striking a balance between the law and the harsh realities of the world we live in. It’s being righteous, but not unjust. Authoritative, but not arrogant.

But that is something today’s Republicans, in their black and white world, will never understand. To understand it requires empathy and the ability to moderate one’s opinion. Jurisprudence is beyond them.

Regardless of your opinion of Eric Holder, what Cruz is demanding is wasteful litigation of a non-case; a fake scandal. There’s no there, there. The nakedly partisan mockery Cruz and his colleagues allude to is a construct of their own imaginations, fantasies, and hubris. Furthermore, the Department of Justice has already launched an investigation into the matter.

This entry was posted in Justice and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • aynwrong

    I have said it before and I will say it again. The Republicans are the unchangeable kings of projection. “Nakedly partisan” is what stares back at Ted Cruz every morning when he looks in the mirror.

    • FlipYrWhig

      Dear aynwrong:

      Please discontinue putting “naked,” “Ted Cruz,” and “mirror” in the same sentence.

      Sincerely,
      FlipYrWhig’s Brain.

      • bbiemeret

        Still laughing….

      • aynwrong

        HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
        Well played sir. Well played.

  • theronware

    People like Ted Cruz were born to give other people the blues.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Why should Cruz care whether anything he says is true? People who listen to him will believe it anyway, people who don’t either know he’s lying or don’t give a shit.

  • Christopher Foxx

    when an attorney general corrupts the Department of Justice by conducting a nakedly partisan investigation

    He’s right. It’s high time we go rid of Alberto Gonzales.

  • bbiemeret

    They only appreciate prosecutorial discretion when it works in their favor.

  • drspittle

    Charlie Pierce wanted Holder fired, so it’s not just the right wingers.

  • gocart mozart

    I predict that Cruz will demagogue his way to the Republican presidential nomination.

  • Badgerite

    I sometimes wonder if Ted Cruz didn’t send his ‘body double’ to classes at Harvard while he
    hung out and smoked pot. Or something.