Jeff Miller Believes Global Warming is a Killer… of Dinosaurs

Picard and Riker Facepalm

During an interview with MSNBC host Richard Lui, Representative Jeff Miller (R-FL) said that he doesn’t believe humans are responsible for global warming because global warming killed the dinosaurs. Duh.

Miller: It changes. It gets hot, it gets cold. It’s done it for as long as we have measured the climate.

Liu: But man-made, isn’t that the question?

Miller: Then why did the dinosaurs go extinct? Were there men that were causing — were there cars running around at that point, that were causing global warming? No. The climate has changed since earth was created.

Others have been quick to point out that an asteroid killed the Dinosaurs, not global warming, but my immediate reaction was slightly different.

If Jeff Miller believes the extinction of the dinosaurs was caused by global warming, wouldn’t that represent an existential threat to humans?

If Miller really believes that global warming is a killer, shouldn’t we do something about it?

Apparently not. According to Jeff Miller, humans have no control over such things.

I would ask what they’re teaching children about dinosaurs in school these days, but Jeff Miller is an old man.

This entry was posted in Stupid Party and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Kennet

    Not a good week for people with the last name Miller.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Republicans are so adorable when they do science.

    I’ll never understand why wingnuts think “the climate changed in the past” is an argument against global warming. They’re admitting that the climate can be altered! It’s just being altered by us instead of something else. That’s like saying since lightning can trigger forest fires, no forest fires were ever caused by people.

    • Christopher Foxx

      I’ll never understand why wingnuts think “the climate changed in the past” is an argument against global warming.

      I was going to say I don’t know why idiots argue so strenuously against climate change at all, but then I realized the answer is, of course, obvious. “Climate change is a problem” is a position taken by the Left, so naturally…

      (Also, acknowledging that humans are causing it means taking responsibility for something and avoiding that comes second only to avoiding agreeing with a “liberal”.)

      • ninjaf

        Yes, the party of “Personal Responsibility” once again looks for a way to shirk theirs.

  • ninjaf

    And I thought the Right believed that humans and dinosaurs existed at the same time? He just said otherwise. Is he not the right brand of Christian? /snark

    If Jeff Miller believes the extinction of the dinosaurs was caused by
    global warming, wouldn’t that represent an existential threat to humans?

    The extension of this argument that Miller and like-‘minded’ troglodytes make is that it’s God’s© Will™ and/or a sign of The End Times.

    Only atheists — and other demon-possessed [see: (dishonourably discharged former) Chaplain Klingen-loopyhead (or whatever the fuck his name is)] — would object and/or try to alter God’s© Will™.

  • muselet

    Lui: Does this [voters believing scientists more than politicians on climate change] concern you though, when you look at 2014 and 2016?

    Miller: I’m concerned with the truth. And the truth is, climate has been changing for a long time. They call it global warming, global cooling — now everybody wants to call it climate change. Yes, the climate is changing. But it has been doing that for centuries. And for us to say that it is a settled argument right now I think, again, is a foolish argument to make, because there are scientists on both sides of the issue that say that’s [sic] it’s not settled.

    [emphasis in original]

    “… now everybody wants to call it climate change.”

    Just a few years ago, Righties pitched an almighty fit, demanding that climate scientists stop calling the phenomenon “global warming” because it still snowed in winter or some such. Finally, after growing tired of being bludgeoned with this ineffably stupid argument, climate scientists breathed a weary sigh and said, “Fine, we’ll call it global climate change. The description fits the phenomenon almost as well. Happy now?”

    The result was, of course, that Righties pitched an almighty fit, accusing climate scientists of using an ambiguous phrase to cover up their anti-American, anti-capitalist, anti-freedumb political agenda.

    “… there are scientists on both sides of the issue that say that’s [sic] it’s not settled.”

    Really? Name three climate scientists on each side who say that. Take your time, I’ll wait.

    “I’m concerned with the truth.”

    No, you’re not.

      … there are scientists on both sides of the issue that say that’s [sic] it’s not settled.

      He’s right. On one side there are three scientists who say it isn’t happening, and on the other side there are 97 who say it is.

      I mean, gosh. How is one to know which to believe?