John Boehner Wants to Sue the President for… Something

bcs_boehner_sobbing

A spokesman for the speaker of the House has reportedly confirmed to The Hill that Boehner is considering a lawsuit against President Obama for signing executive orders.

Just don’t ask which executive order.

Press secretary Michael Steel provided no other details regarding timing of a decision and didn’t pinpoint specific executive actions Boehner would challenge.

“The President has a clear record of ignoring the American people’s elected representatives and exceeding his Constitutional authority, which has dangerous implications for both our system of government and our economy,” Steel said in a statement.

In an environment where conservatives believe Michelle Obama’s healthy school lunch program is an overreach, this statement from the speaker’s office is so vague as to be meaningless.

Given that same-sex marriage, environmental regulations, and Obamacare have already had their day in court, that leads me to believe their next target is immigration.

Although the electoral implications of such a lawsuit should be obvious by now, I would not be entirely shocked if Republicans file a lawsuit aimed at accelerating deportations. And while it’s been clear for at least a year that comprehensive immigration reform would never pass the House, not many would have predicted the Republican party was suicidal enough to file a lawsuit to kick children or “DREAMers” out of the country following the 2012 election.

If House leadership ultimately chooses not to file a lawsuit, it’ll be because they couldn’t narrow down an executive order that they would have any legal grounds whatsoever to challenge. It won’t be for a lack of desire.

This entry was posted in Ethics, President Obama and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Christopher Foxx

    this statement from the speaker’s office is so vague as to be meaningless.
    </i."

    Making it different than any other statement by Boehner… how?

  • muselet

    Brian Beutler argues that John Boehner has no choice but to file suit—a lawsuit Boehner insists has nothing to do with impeachment—after being outraged! for so long over Barack Obama’s actions. The danger for Boehner is that the base isn’t satisfied with a lawsuit and demands impeachment, because that almost certainly won’t go well for House Rs. It’s a tough position for Boehner to be in.

    Not that I have any sympathy for him, mind.

    Please proceed, Annoying Orange. Make our day. We want to see you bawl your widdle eyes out again after you, once more, get your ass handed to you over this latest pathetic attempt at wanting to have things your way.

  • JohnC80

    You gotta give the Republicans credit for two things: They don’t let things like shame and hypocrisy get in the way of a good smear against President Obama.