John McCain Just Makin’ Shit Up

Republicans tell us the five men exchanged for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl were rock stars of the Taliban; top dogs who may or may not bring about the end of the United States if given half a chance.

That’s pretty alarming, right? According to John McCain, it’s much worse than that.

During his appearance on CNN’s “State of the Union” yesterday, John McCain said the men released by the Obama administration were actually responsible for 9/11.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) on Sunday called the five Guantanamo detainees released in a prisoner swap for Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl “hardcore military jihadists who are responsible for 9/11″ and said he expects them to return to fighting against the U.S. [...]

“I’m sad to tell you I’m afraid they’re going to reenter the fight,” said McCain, who warned that ultimately their return could become even more dangerous because of Obama’s plans to remove all combat troops from Afghanistan.

According to McCain, these men were judged to be “too great a risk” to release and they were “responsible for 9/11.” And yet the Obama administration released them anyway?

Does that make any sense? No, it doesn’t. None of that is actually true.

Furthermore, the five men would have been released at the end of this year anyway as part of our formal exit from Afghanistan. By releasing them now in exchange for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, the administration got something instead of nothing in return.

I’m old enough to remember when then-presidential candidate John McCain told us that he knew how to find Osama Bin Laden but he couldn’t tell anyone until after he’s elected president.

We know how that turned out.

obama-osama-bin-laden

This entry was posted in Afghanistan, John McCain, Wingnuts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Robert Scalzi

    Does anyone take anything John “OldManYellsAtCloud” McCain says seriously anymore ?? Why do the “serious” news outfits keep booking this nursing home reject ??

    • FlipYrWhig

      Because he told them dirty jokes and war stories in 1999. Any Republican who isn’t a Bible-thumper and has a modicum of a sense of humor is a made man forever inside the Beltway. See also Simpson, Alan.

      • D_C_Wilson

        And because he’s never seen a news camera he wouldn’t shove his chipmunk face in front of. McCain maybe a bitter old coot who is sliding a steep slope into senility, but he still does know how to work the media.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    No matter who is released from Guantanamo, you can bet that the GOP will immediately start labeling that person a Terrorist Supervillain; the “worst of the worst,” the
    “mastermind,” the “most dangerous terrorist in the world,” the one (or however many) indispensable guy without whom al Qaeda could and would never even think or hope to attack us, but now that he’s out…..

    It’s like we’re the Washington Senators playing the ’27 Yankees, these guys are Ruth, Gehrig, Meusel and Lazzeri, we have all four of them tied up and gagged under the stadium bleachers before the game, but we let them go and let them play against us.

    To paraphrase Bill Maher from the other night, what possible good could come from making these guys out to be the X-Men?

    • D_C_Wilson

      It riles up the base and that’s all that really matters to teh GOP any more. Got to keep the tea baggers in a constant state of fear and rage.

      This tendency on the right to attribute superhuman abilities to the detainees is something I’ve noticed from the right before. When there was talk about moving the detainees to Supermax prisons on the mainland, there was similar hysteria. Our federal prisons hold some of the worst mass murderers, drug lords, and other violent crminals the world has to offer (including many terrorists), but for some reason, the right couldn’t imagine them being able to hold a couple of hundred terrorists, as if they had the ability to make the cell doors explode with their minds.

  • Christopher Foxx

    I’m old enough to remember when then-presidential candidate John McCain told us that he knew how to find Osama Bin Laden but he couldn’t tell anyone until after he’s elected president.

    And being over 8 years old, everyone else here is old enough to remember that, too.

    John McCain declared gave comfort and aid the the enemy during what he said was a time of war.

  • Robert Scalzi

    flipping between the big 3 today I could not help but notice the Fixed Noise header said – “Taliban 5 – Terrorist Dream Team” …… WTF ??
    As long as they continue to be allowed to broadcast this trash as news we are doomed.

  • Zen Diesel

    What a self defecating piece of shit. He is so bitter over losing the election that he can’t even thank the President for bringing home a POW.

  • muselet

    I do wish John McCain would spend more time at the family compound in Sedona, sitting on the deck with a bourbon and branch in hand, reflecting on a life well-lived, and less time in front of TV cameras saying ridiculous things.

    But if he did, I suppose he wouldn’t be John McCain.

    Remember also, too when john mccain seemed sensible and moderate? Hell, with the shit campaign gore ran, he could have easily won the 2000 election but he was “too moderate” and, more importantly, he couldn’t be controlled by the neocons. Well, he sure has fixed that, hasn’t he?