Outreach

In addition to being a notorious comment troll, it has also become evident that Arizona schools superintendent John Huppenthal (R) has a measurable amount of contempt for a significant portion of his students.

“We all need to stomp out balkanization. No spanish radio stations, no spanish billboards, no spanish tv stations, no spanish newspapers,” he wrote roughly a month after he was elected. “This is America, speak English.” [...]

“I don’t mind them selling Mexican food as long as the menus are mostly in English,” Huppenthal wrote. “And, I’m not being humorous or racist. A lot is at stake here.”

He’s not being humorous or racist — but — you need to speak English when you serve him his authentic cuisine and cerveza.

Writing as Falcon9 at the blog Three Sonorans in 2012, Huppenthal apparently described Mexican-American Studies, an experimental curriculum that was ultimately shut down by GOP lawmakers in the state, as “a racist program that pits the races against each other and encourages students to view themselves as victims and successful people as ‘oppressors.’”

John Huppenthal knows who The Real Racists™ are.

Picard and Riker Facepalm

This entry was posted in Education, Racism and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Mark

    Hey, Bob. Next time you want to go on vacation, go to the other subtropical paradise that is (theoretically) within American borders, Miami, Florida. Try to start a conversation with any retail salesperson in English south of Miami Gardens Drive.

    Florida, like Arizona, is part of the United States of America. Therefore, no one should have to learn a foreign language to do business here. Period. End of discussion.

    • JMAshby

      Go fuck yourself.

      • Mark

        Ah, the clear ringing sound of someone with no counter-argument. And a mod at that. Bob, time to reconsider someone’s employment, I think…

    • Lady Willpower

      Oh, I guess because you said “Period. End of discussion.” that means you actually proved something.

    • nathkatun7

      Are the names Arizona, Florida, and Miami English names?

  • Ipecac

    A lot is at stake here.

    What, exactly, is at stake here?

    Mark, why? If they don’t speak English, you don’t have to do business with them. Period. End of discussion.

    • Mark

      So, I should, what? Have to drive to another county to get a cheeseburger or a gallon of milk?

      My grandparents were immigrants. They learned English, while still sending their children to Ukranian school. What was good enough for them is good enough for every other immigrant.

      • JMAshby

        So, I should, what? Have to drive to another county to get a cheeseburger or a gallon of milk?

        Isn’t the Free Market wonderful?

        If you can’t buy a gallon of milk without help I’m not sure going to another county is going to help you.

        • nathkatun7

          By the way, what is the Spanish word for cheeseburger?

      • Ipecac

        What Ashby said. Plus, I think you’re exaggerating just a wee bit.

        If it’s economically disadvantageous for someone who doesn’t speak English, then they’ll learn English. But this is America and people have the freedom to speak whatever the hell language they want. It’s their right.

        Your right is not to patronize their business.

      • nathkatun7

        If you can say Arizona, Miami and Florida, you are already speaking a foreign language. Please spare us the nonsense and exaggerations! I am sure if you go to a restaurant/grocery store, owned by Hispanics, where they sell cheeseburger and milk, you will still be able to get them without being forced to speak Spanish. What is it about right wing Americans? Most people in other countries, including the country of your grand parents origin, are proud if they are able to speak multiple languages. I’ve watched young people in Ukraine proudly speaking English. I also know that many Hispanics and other immigrants learn and speak English everyday. Actually there are many immigrants who write and speak English better than you.

      • 1933john

        Why?

      • Ipecac

        I was in France recently. I guess it’s a miracle I was able to survive without starving.

        Or maybe I have the purchasing and people skills of at least a fourth grader.

        • Mark

          Or maybe you realized you were in a foreign country and decided to adapt to the natives by learning their language.

          Thank you for making my point for me.

          • Ipecac

            You *assume* that I learned French and that makes your point? Sorry, no.

          • Lady Willpower

            Have you ever noticed whenever someone says “thank you for proving my point for me” the exact opposite has occurred?

  • muselet

    Huppenthal is up for re-election this year, but he told the Arizona Republic last week he doesn’t believe the blog posts will hurt his chances.

    Sadly, he’s probably right.

    In another post, Huppenthal simply wrote, “MAS=KKK.”

    It’s good to see such closely reasoned argumentation from an elected official. John Huppenthal’s marshaling of logic and evidence is simply breathtaking. After all, teaching kids about the accomplishments of individuals who had or have skin darker than a manila envelope is exactly the same as a lynch mob.

    The word ‘racist’ gets tossed around rather casually on the interwebs. This is one time it fits perfectly.

    –alopecia

  • nathkatun7

    John Huppenthal should not be in charge of schools. He is anti-education. Young people should be taught the value of speaking different languages and learning from different cultures. When I went to school, more than fifty years ago, some High schools taught foreign languages, and you couldn’t graduate from college without fulfilling the Foreign Language requirement. In Catholic schools, learning Latin was a must!

    I am just amused that people who live in America, where so many places have Native American, Spanish and French names, still believe that English is the only language spoken here. Some right wing nuts here in California pushed the English only initiative. They didn’t realize the irony that such names as California, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Sacramento, San Diego, and Mitt Romney’s La Jolla, are not English names. So how do you go around claiming to be speaking English only?