Prosecutor: Military Had No Case Against 5 Taliban Prisoners

According to the chief prosecutor at Guantanamo Bay, the military had no viable case against the five prisoners that were released in exchange for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.

Brig. Gen. Mark Martins said he concurred with a study conducted a few years ago that found prosecutors were unlikely to win convictions against about 200 detainees, including the five traded for Bergdahl. Republicans such as Sen. John McCain, of Arizona, have derided the swap, saying it will put U.S. troops at risk.

“I concluded there was not a successful prosecution to be made,” Martins said.

But John McCain said the five prisoners exchanged for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl were “responsible for 9/11.” Fox News and other Republican congressmen called them the “Fab Five” the “Dream Team” and “the hardest of the hardcore.”

If that’s true, how could the military have no case?

Are you telling me John McCain, Fox News, and a whole host of other Republicans have been talking out of their asses?

Oh.

To recap: the five prisoners that were exchanged for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl would have been automatically released at the conclusion of combat operations in Afghanistan because they would no longer be prisoners of war and the military had no viable case against them anyway.

Taliban Swap

This entry was posted in Epic Fail, John McCain, Stupid Party and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    If that’s true, how could the military have no case?

    The question assumes that it actually matters whether or not “that’s true”.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Dontcha see?!! Gen. Martins is in cahoots with the islamofascists terrorists who hate our liberty an’ freedom an’ the Lord Baby Jesus, an’ want to take over ‘Murrika an’ replace it with Sharia law! To the Buttsignal so that we may summon the Dynamic Derps, McCainman an’ Grahamboy!!!

    • bbiemeret

      “To the Buttsignal!” HA, love it! ( * )

  • trgahan

    Poor conservatives….

    First we have the revelation that Bergdahl’s actions were inspired by the work of their favorite fiction writer they never read (Ayn Rand) but now even the military is proving to be too much into due process for their tastes.

    I mean, didn’t Brigider General Martin see the mug shots with the beards and funny hats?!? Clearly those were the best of the best we let go!

  • Badgerite

    Aren’t these the same people who were so smugly complacent, anticipating a ‘cakewalk’ in Iraq that even with a year to prepare for what promised to be a dicey occupation of a country riven by sectarian hatreds and violence, did not even bother to provide troops with
    upgraded body armor so that families of soldiers ended up buying the armor themselves just to see that their loved one had the best protection possible? I’ll answer that. Yes they were.