Republicans Block Student Loan Bill

Senate Republicans successfully filibustered and blocked debate on a bill today that would have allowed former students to refinance their loans, among other things.

The bill, authored by Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., failed to clear a procedural hurdle that would have brought it up for consideration in the face of Republican opposition. It went down by a vote of 56 to 38. It would have affected an estimated 40 million people begin paying a lower interest rate on their loans, but never would have won GOP support because of the way it was paid for.

How was it paid for? It was paid for by implementing the so-called Buffet Rule which institutes a minimum tax on millionaires who manage to pay lower tax rates than average people because their income is derived from investments.

Warren’s bill also would have reduced the deficit by approximately $20 billion by implementing the minimum tax. Aren’t Republicans suppose to love deficit reduction?

If the bill was paid for by kicking children off their school lunches, maybe Senate Republicans would have gone for it.

This entry was posted in Congress, Education and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    56 is a clear majority and 38 is not. These evil bastard republicans filibuster every goddamned thing, without even having to actually filibuster Jimmy Stewart style. These lazy, geriatric, hateful, lying scum broke our system of self governance and this is the shit we have to put up with.

  • Draxiar

    It’s really hared to not loath these people (Republican Congresslings) and see them as actually human beings with families that love them.

  • Nefercat

    “It went down by a vote of 56 to 38.”

    A reasonable person would think it a shame that 38 people voted against the bill.

    I am so sick to death of hearing about “losing” votes in which the “losing” side clearly had a sizable majority.

    This is a farce.

  • muselet

    Steve Benen:

    [Reducing student-loan interest rates] would, of course, cost a fair amount of money, which Warren’s bill would finance through the “Buffett Rule” measure. Republicans, as expected, condemned the tax provision, though Senate Democrats said they were open to alternative financing.

    GOP senators offered no alternative, preferring instead to just block the Senate from voting on the bill.

    These people are children.

      They’re not children. Children are usually well behaved. These Republicans are toxic scum.

      • muselet

        Maybe I should have included the qualifier “bratty.”

        –alopecia

    • drspittle

      Also, too, I think they are “a foul and pestilent congregation of vapours”. (H/T Shakespeare)

      • muselet

        They have a plentiful lack of wit. (It’s hard to go wrong with Shakespearean insults.)

        –alopecia

        • drspittle

          Yes. This is a time to craft pithy, insulting comments that capture the Rethugs’ moral and spiritual bankruptcy. I think years ago some English majors published a book of Shakesperian expletives. Perhaps it would be fruitful to compile a list of Shakespeare’s graphic descriptions of evil and pestilence so we can start using them – Shakesperian snark as it were.

          • muselet

            A few possibilities:

            You are a tedious fool. –Escalus, Measure for Measure (2.1.74)

            You blocks, you stones, you worse than senseless things! –Murellus, Julius Caesar (1.1.25)

            A very scurvy fellow. –Lucio, Measure for Measure (5.1.136)

            And thou unfit for any place, but hell. –Lady Anne, Richard III (1.2.110)

            A knot you are of damned blood-suckers. –Lord Grey, Richard III (3.3.6)

            Thou hast no more brain than I have in mine elbows, an asinico may tutor thee. –Thersites, Troilus & Cressida (2.1.24) [asinico = little ass, donkey, dolt]

            Nobody did better insults than Will the Quill.

            –alopecia

          • drspittle

            YESSSSS!!!!! Bookmarked!

    • Christopher Foxx

      GOP senators offered no alternative, preferring instead to just block the Senate from voting on the bill.

      And cowards. They don’t want to have to cast an actual vote against it so they don’t even let it come up.

  • Christopher Foxx

    A solution to this, or at least dent in making things better, is challenging these assholes. If reporters won’t do it, then the Democrat should.

    Blatant, in your face, you never get to approach a microphone without someone asking you point blank “Why are you willing to force young folks into heavy debt so that millionaires can have yet another tax write off? Why are you opposed to reducing the deficit?”

    But, sigh, we’re counting on reporters and Democrats.

  • notoriousbob

    Yet another example of a BS “filibuster”. We all know that if, heaven forbid, the Repubs get control of the Senate, they will change those filibuster rules faster than you can say ‘Freedom’. Then turn around and say Reid started it.