Some Good News Out Of Legoland

Last year, as part of their new mini-figurine series, LEGO unveiled  Professor C. Bodin– “the first-ever female scientist in the company’s 81-year history.”

As toys go, LEGOS have been almost exclusively marketed to boys over the years, but as it turns out, the company’s idea of gender roles have been a bit antiquated, to say the least.

That’s not to say they never tried.

But when a father of two young boys discovered that his sons’ construction worker-themed LEGOS came equipped with a “Hey Babe!” sticker last year, he wrote the company and the company responded with a less-than-encouraging email back, and then a follow-up email that attempted to right the wrong.

After some backlash and some righteous citizen-lobbying, the company is set to introduce a new line of LEGOS that seeks to shatter some ‘plastic ceilings’ ready for release by August of this year, with more girl-friendly LEGOS ready to inspire the future of women in the workplace.

The Astronomer, the Paleontologist, and the Chemist.

And this is how the terrorists lose.

This entry was posted in Diversity and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Ned F

    Interesting. So now the sunglass wearing, hey babe, lego man is a high value collectible on ebay. Gotta go dig out my son’s lego collection which we spent a small fortune over the years. I wish Lego offered a buy back recycle program, even the day care and preschools who I offered them to have more than they can use.

    • muselet

      Ask your local women’s shelter if they want your Legos. Kids whose lives have been disrupted need normalcy, and nothing says “normal” like Legos.

    I could gripe about Lego losing sight of its original purpose, which was undirected play—that 1981 advert was one of a series showing what boys and girls had made, none of which looked like they came from a playset—but that would be churlish.

    Instead, I’ll give the company two and a half cheers (“Hey Babe!”? Really?), to be increased to three if the number of female minifigures explands.

    –alopecia