The Diabolical Liberal Media’s One Weird Trick To Make You Think About Guns

ScareQuotes

According to the National Rifle Association, describing a shooting as a “shooting” is some kind of nefarious media plot to trick you into thinking of a shooting as a “shooting.”

via Media Matters

Without mentioning the Isla Vista killings by name, on May 30 the NRA published a video commentary called “Propaganda,” in which “NRA News Commentator Dom Raso exposes the inaccuracy of the media – especially regarding their reports of mass shootings.”

During a critique of the media, Raso warned viewers of a “trick” where media figures “race to label anything with a gun as a shooting, because they know how much more attention they are going to get with that word.” According to Raso, the media use the word “shooting” so that viewers are being “subconsciously told to think about the tool they used” instead of the perpetrator.

It’s also possible that viewers subconsciously think about the tool they used (guns) because that’s what guns are used for; they’re used to shoot people.

If someone is shot, it would be a good bet to say that a gun was used. It’s not as if bows and arrows are regularly used for that purpose.

Is the NRA contending that “shot” is also a suggestive word? What would they prefer; perforated? Punctured? Freedom-ed? Liberty-ed?

Area Man Accidentally Freedomed in the Chest While Cleaning Libertyvessel.

If the NRA would prefer to see headlines like “Unhinged White Bro Unloads On Innocent People” which specifically call out the identity of the perpetrator, I’m okay with that. That should be acceptable, right? After all, at least several Republican congressional candidates have promised to “unload” on everything from drones to Obamacare. Unloading is what good, wholesome people do. Shootings? Not so much.

This entry was posted in Guns and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Nefercat

    “race to label anything with a gun as a shooting, because they know how much more attention they are going to get with that word.”
    —————————————————-
    Yes, well, good luck with the idea of convincing the media that they should not cover news in a way that will get them “more attention.” How dare they?

    “According to Raso, the media use the word “shooting” so that viewers are being “subconsciously told to think about the tool they used” instead of the perpetrator.”
    —————————————————–
    Well, if guns are so awesomely peachy keen and only ever used by good guys (who cancel out the occasional bad guy using one), what is the problem? The more publicity the better, right? This is how you will win hearts and minds, right? (The ones without holes blown through them, anyway.)

    The more we hear about guns, guns, guns, the more we will realize that we should all carry guns, all the time, everywhere, and use them to solve every problem, like having to watch idiot fathers teach their kid how to ride a bike wrong! Guy should be shot, right?

    We might be reaching a tipping point. Of murderous, dull-witted, idiocy, not horror, but I’ll take it.

  • 1933john

    “Area Man Accidentally Freedomed in the Chest While Cleaning Libertyvessel.”
    Laughed Out Loud at this one!

  • muselet

    “NRA News Commentator Dom Raso exposes the inaccuracy of the media – especially regarding their reports of mass shootings.”

    Okay, but …

    … Raso warned viewers of a “trick” where media figures “race to label anything with a gun as a shooting …”

    As opposed to Dom Raso using the magic word, indeed using the extra-special double-plus-ungood magic phrase “mass shootings,” which apparently isn’t a trick.

    How these people manage to survive the cognitive dissonance without their heads exploding is beyond me.

    –alopecia

  • lynnnoe

    I’m sorry but you’re supposed to say someone ‘suffered a fatal ballistic trauma’. lol