Weak-Kneed

Today has been a diligent reminder that Republicans are deathly afraid of evil-doers and they’re also not big fans of due process.

“If they bring him to the U.S., they will Mirandize this guy, and it will be the biggest mistake for the ages to read this guy his Miranda rights,” Graham told reporters, warning against a civilian trial.

Lindsey Graham: if this man is allowed to remain silent, we’re all fucked.

“I think he should be taken to Guantánamo. It’s where our detention facilities are,” said McCain. “It’s totally inappropriate to keep him anyplace else.”

John McCain: if this man is put on trial inside the United States, hell will follow with him.

“At times, this administration has been more interested in the politics of the war on terrorism than the execution of it, and we have not had an articulable detention policy in six years,” Rubio said in a statement.

Marco Rubio: we don’t have a coherent detention policy. No shit?

Between Lindsey Graham saying that we need to “have some quality time with this guy” and Mitch McConnell calling for him to be “interrogated extensively,” we have calls for torture with a wink and a nod and a tip of the hat. Lindsey Graham isn’t saying we should torture him, he’s just sayin’.

It should be noted that Marco Rubio is partially correct in that our detention policies don’t make a whole lot of sense, but it should also be noted that he and his colleagues are chiefly responsible for our incoherence.

As we’ve covered here extensively in the past, Congress has repeatedly voted against closing the prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. In fact, they voted against closing it as recently as last month. Every time the Obama administration has taken steps to close the prison, Congress has thrown up roadblocks.

If congressional Republicans didn’t their piss their pants and forget their name for two hours every time someone mentions bringing detainees into the United States to stand trial, we wouldn’t be in this predicament. But here we are. They’ll say “not in my backyard” and then point fingers at the Obama administration.

If you take a stroll down memory lane, you’d find Lindsey Graham and John McCain making the exact same arguments against infamous Boston Bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

This entry was posted in John McCain, Terrorism, Torture and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • WiscoJoe

    The only thing more predictable than the Republican response is the people that will use the Republican response as evidence that Obama and Democrats need to be punished for not doing enough to shut down Gitmo.

    • Churchlady320

      When you see the likes of Jill Stein argue that she could do what Obama doesn’t because SHE, without a shred of experience, has the MOXIE he hasn’t, then you know the elimination of Civics 101 was not a coincidence. Her platform posited that she could do things that the Congress constitutionally must do. Ignoring that separation of powers was MIND boggling.

      Stupid people exist on both sides, and I’m getting tired of them all.

  • RenoRick

    You’re in a pre-9/11 mindset, aren’t you? Argle bargle AMERICA!!!

  • Hemisemidemiquaver

    Timothy McVeigh killed far more people than Khattala and McVeigh got read his rights, had a lawyer, never escaped and was executed. The same should (and more than likely, will) happen to Khattala.

    Why does McCain, etc. hate America?

    • Christopher Foxx

      Because it’s run by a black man who beat him in a fair fight.

      • trgahan

        the ultimate insult indeed….

  • trgahan

    Thanks to Rubio, Graham, and McCain for helping prove radical Islamic terrorists paranoid fever dreams about the United States as correct. Constantly screaming that brown skin, a funny name, and allegiance to a non-Christian god means laws (much less basic human decency) doesn’t apply only re-enforces a terrorist’s belief system.

    Adding, just wait….if the capture of Khatallah gives President Obama an up tick in approval ratings be ready for these same people to rush in front of a camera and talk about how Khatallah is a nobody, Obama is wasting resources, and this guy isn’t even worth a trial in small claims court….

  • muselet

    Sweet merciful McGillicuddy.

    “America remains at war, and a return to the failed law enforcement approach of the 1990s is not an adequate response to the very real threats we face,” Rubio said.

    Marco Rubio apparently prefers indiscriminately blowing up dusky people—the US approach to terrorism from 2001–2008—to finding and capturing people responsible for terrorist acts. Oh, and if the US truly is at war, I’m sure one branch or another of the military would be happy to sign Rubio up for a tour.

    Lindsey Graham and his bestie, John McCain, seem to think Ahmed Abu Khattalla has Terrorist Superpowers! and we should all be very afraid! Only the tropical air of Guantánamo Bay will render those terrifying Terrorist Superpowers! inactive.

    Since Khattalla has already been charged in federal court, I wouldn’t expect him to be treated the way the cowardly Rs want, which is a good thing indeed.

    –alopecia

    • https://www.facebook.com/Phydeaux.Speaks Bob Rutledge

      Oh, and if the US truly is at war, I’m sure one branch or another of the military would be happy to sign Rubio up for a tour.

      Surely they have higher standards than that.

      • muselet

        Maybe he could get in on a moral waiver.

    They have so much faith in the American system, that they never want to actually use it.

    Actually, it’s not a matter of lack of faith. They just really, really want to be Jack Bauer.

  • Zen Diesel

    I think what they really mean to say is “Job well done Mr. President” /snark