What Could Go Wrong?

Here’s an idea: let’s nullify EPA regulations and allow coal plants to spew unlimited amounts of pollution into the air.

Rep. Nick Rahall (D-WV) on Tuesday introduced the Protection and Accountability Regulatory Act of 2014, which would nullify proposed rules recently announced by the EPA limiting carbon pollution from existing coal plants. Rahall’s bill would also nullify other proposed EPA regulations limiting carbon pollution from new coal plants, modified coal plants, and reconstructed coal plants unless Congress specifically acts to allow them.

Nick Rahall clearly doesn’t care about the health of his constituents in West Virginia.

Coal pollution can be linked to tens of thousands of deaths and illnesses every year. The regulation of emissions from coal plants is not just about global warming; it’s also about health. New regulations have actually reduced deaths that can be linked to pollution by as many as 10,000 per year.

Is Rahall is more concerned about the opinions of Big Coal lobbyists than he is the well-being of citizens in his own district?

This entry was posted in Congress, Environment and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • fry1laurie

    Maybe Congress-hole Rahall can go home and drink some of the delicious, pure drinking water the state is also famous for.

  • Christopher Foxx

    Is Rahall is more concerned about the opinions of Big Coal lobbyists than he is the well-being of citizens in his own district?

    Rhetorical question, of course.

  • muselet

    “The Protection and Accountability Regulatory Act of 2014″? The protection of what, exactly? (Yes, I know, extraction industry profits.) Accountability to whom, exactly? (Yes, I know, extraction industry executives.)

    Also too, I don’t know about anyone else, but to me this—

    “The EPA needs to get their head out of the clouds and come back down to Earth where the rest of us must live and work,” Rahall said in a statement. “We don’t need more regulation to solve our energy challenges—we need more innovation.”

    —sounded better when Homer Simpson said it.

    –alopecia

  • Ken Kohl

    “Is Rahall is more concerned about the opinions of Big Coal lobbyists than he is the well-being of citizens in his own district?”

    I’m going with “..Is Rahall is more concerned about the donations of Big Coal lobbyists..”

  • D_C_Wilson

    In other fun coal news . . .

    The owner of the largest independent coal producer in the U.S. is threatening to sue the Environmental Protection Agency over its new regulations on carbon emissions from existing coal plants, saying the agency has been lying about the existence of global warming, and that the earth is actually getting colder.

    In an extended profile published last month, Murray Energy Corp. founder Robert Murray told WV Executive that the EPA’s claims that climate change exists violates the federal Data Quality Act, which requires agencies to rely on quality, objective information to inform its decisions.

    http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/06/10/3447370/murray-coal-warming-is-fake/

    You may remember Robert Murray as the guy who made this workers take a day off without pay to act as props in Romneybot photo op. Or as the guy who then fired several of his workers just because Obama won re-election. Or maybe you remember him as the owner of some of the mines with the worst safety records in America.

    But let’s go for it. Have the EPA bring in climate experts and he can bring in a few crackpots to show some cherry picked data to “prove” the Earth is cooling. This could turn out to be the Kittzmiller v Dover case of climate science.

    • muselet

      And then the ruling against the idiots gets appealed and appealed and winds up in front of the Supremes, who decide by a 5-4 vote that science violates the constitutional right to extract and burn fossil fuels (it’s right there, in the mumble-mumble Amendment, you could look it up).

      No good thing will come of this lawsuit.

        “mumble mumble Amendment”
        Perfect.

      • Hemisemidemiquaver

        “mumble mumble Amendment”

        Either that or Roberts will cite a previous opinion of his to discover a new right to pollute.

        Perhaps, since people can emit carbon dioxide without regulation and, since corporations are people, corporations can also emit carbon dioxide without regulation.

        I think the welcoming sign to Hell says “Corporations are people, my friend.”

        • muselet

          Too bold a move for Roberts. Scalia and Alito, though …

          –alopecia