Yummy! Delicious Black Tar Refreshments!

This is what your fake-sugar soda pop looks like when it’s boiled down:

“The American Heart Association writes 180,000 annual deaths may be linked to the consumption of sugary soft drinks.”

Drink up, America! (Do not)

This entry was posted in Food, WTF and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Nefercat

    The picture of Tundradunce getting ready to blow that big gulp is scarier than the other picture. I don’t want to end up like her.

  • muselet

    Soft drinks are not healthy, certainly not in large quantities.

    However, the video at the link proves nothing. You could do much the same thing with orange juice: sugar is sugar and it’ll burn if you cook it long enough.

    –alopecia

    • Bubble Genius

      Being one who reduces juices* for fun and, if not profit, gustatory enlightenment, I’ve gotta say, nothing I’ve ever caramelized looked remotely like this.

      *Moses Supposes!

      • muselet

        I’m not surprised, but sugar will burn if you heat it sufficiently (Chemistry 101). Ask anyone who’s tried to make caramel and gotten distracted at the wrong moment.

        –alopecia

        • Bubble Genius

          I was thinking more of the, erm, texture rather than color. Real cane sugar never goes goopy like that, even when it’s a roasted marshmallow we’re talking about.

          • muselet

            It looks to me like caramel gone horribly wrong. Without knowing, I’ll guess the texture resulted because the HFCS in the cola didn’t completely evaporate during the heating process, and the color is partly due to the caramel coloring as well as the sugars starting to char (I’m now imagining legions of food chemists falling about, laughing uproariously at my ignorance).

            Regardless, this is not an experiment to try in one’s prized Falk Culinair saucepan.

            –alopecia

  • Sabyen91

    I am hungry for brownies now. Thanks!

  • Treading_Water

    By fake sugar, do you mean HFCS or Sucralose? I don’t think you can caramelize splenda, but corn syrup caramelizes just fine.

    • mrbrink

      HFCS is da devil!

  • chris ellis

    that’s just someone not knowing how to caramelize. soda may not be healthy, but this is a crock of a video.

    • mrbrink

      You know what doesn’t caramelize, or poison your body? Water. Drink more water, less black tar soda.

  • chris ellis

    As an aside, why is Palin wearing thr Star of David?