Arms Race

Public colleges in Idaho had no plans to arm their campus police force, but now they have no choice.

Idaho public colleges did not previously arm their campus officers. But Idaho State University director of public safety Steve Chatterton said equipping officers with guns has become necessary to “maintain a safe and secure campus environment” now that others are legally permitted to walk on campus with guns, Reuters reports. Boise State University is also seeking public funds to cover a program to arm its campus officers, at an estimated cost of $1 million per year.

I’m sure the state legislature will gladly give Boise State all the money they need to equip their officers; money which inevitably goes into the hands of the firearms industry.

Meanwhile, the only requirement for carrying a gun on a college campuses is taking an eight-hour class taught by the NRA.

See how that works? The firearms industry is working both angles of putting more guns on the street and the state legislature is the great enabler.

“I can say no cellphones, but apparently I can’t say no guns,” University of Idaho physics professor Francesca Sammarruca told the Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

Shame.

This entry was posted in Education, Guns, Idaho and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    What could possibly go wrong?

      Among other things, the law also prohibits police from demanding to see the weapons permit of someone seen carrying a gun.

      You have to produce a driver’s license on demand, but not a gun permit.

      The legislators certainly aren’t hiding their utter lack of respect for law and order anymore.

  • Christopher Foxx

    I can say no cellphones, but apparently I can’t say no guns,” University of Idaho physics professor Francesca Sammarruca told the Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

    I like to think that, were I a professor there, I’d make a rule that no guns were allowed in my class. Should any student point out that I can’t make that rule and bring a gun to class, the entire hour of instruction would consist solely of me looking expectantly at the student waiting for him to leave with his gun.

    If the dozens of other students in the class want an education, the asshole with the small dick gun would have to leave.

    Peer pressure and public shame are very powerful when folks bother to actually use them.