Do Something. No, Don’t Do Something.

While Republicans say the influx of undocumented children from Central America is a pressing issue that requires immediate attention from the president, they aren’t willing to approve funding to address it.

The president “is asking to use billions of taxpayer dollars without accountability or a plan in place to actually stop the border crisis,” Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.), chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, said in a statement.

Asked if he thought lawmakers would approve the proposal, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) said, “No, given the mood here in Washington, I don’t have confidence it will happen.”

The president’s $3.7 billion request (a drop in the federal bucket) would, among other things, fund additional processing facilities and the personnel needed to run them as well as hire additional judges and lawyers to manage the legal necessities and ramifications of deportation.

The president’s proposal demonstrates that he is serious about tackling the issue in a prudent manner, but Republicans have other ideas.

Ron Johnson (R-WI) and Tom Coburn (R-OK) are proposing that we immediately put kids on planes and send them directly home wherever that may be.

This is not a serious proposal from serious people. And Johnson and Coburn are clearly not aware that their plan wouldn’t be legal under current law.

The formal process of deportation that the children must go through is the reason President Obama has requested additional funds to deal with the situation. This process will take a great deal of time given the number of children and the number of lawsuits this event will likely generate.

If Republicans don’t like the law, they should agree to compromise and pass comprehensive immigration reform.

Senator Marco Rubio’s reversal on immigration is particularly shameful. He has transformed from a dubious ally on immigration reform to a man who won’t even approve the funding necessary to ensure that children are properly housed while they await deportation.

The White House undoubtedly expected congressional Republicans would reject the president’s proposal. The onus is on them now.

This entry was posted in Immigration, President Obama and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Ipecac

    Cruel, heartless bastards don’t want to solve this problem. They’re too busy trying to score political points against the President. If they solve it, they can’t bitch about it.

    Farging iceholes.

    • hanadora444

      Worse,a solution might even make ObMa look good. And we all know that Obama Must Always Fail. Always.

  • Zen Diesel

    I apologize in advance but if you can stomach stepping into bizarro world for a few minutes check out the article about Glenn Beck on Breitbart site. The Beckster is off his meds again, because he is actually advocating decency towards the children. The Mongos of the Breitbart site isn’t taking to kindly to the generousity the Beckster is proposing. The comment section is pure comedy gold.

    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2014/07/08/Glenn-Beck-to-Bring-Soccer-Balls-Hot-Meals-to-Illegals-We-Must-Open-Our-Hearts

    • muselet

      I get the feeling Glenn Beck’s ghostwriter has generated another book-like artifact to be flogged this holiday season. No other explanation fits.

      It’s remarkable how quickly the commenters at Dead Andy accuse each other of apostasy. Simply acknowledging that these are largely unaccompanied minors and not advance scouts for an invading army is enough for the Grand Inquisitors to recommend burning at the stake. That is a frightening place.

      Damn…I just returned from the rabbit hole. I’m a little dizzy from reading all the craziness in the comments–as well as trying to decipher the grammar and spelling.

      Damn…

      • Zen Diesel

        There was a part of me that truly enjoyed watching the Mongos turn on the Beckster. However, their comments made me realize that they really don’t understand that this situation is a refugee situation not an immigration situation. Since many of the Mongos aren’t critical thinkers “they constantly confuse the debt with the deficit “, they lack the capacity to show any since of sympathy towards the children.

  • trgahan

    “This is not a serious proposal from serious people.”

    Nor is it intended to be.

    To the majority voters of our conservative party, Hispanic people, even their children, simply aren’t human. So unless they can frame and roof a McMansion, rake leaves, or run a vacuum cleaner out they must go and the more callous and brutal the method the more righteous the person proposing it.

    For conservative representatives, I am sure the plan is to use this to keep the momentum started by the Hobby Lobby decision to keep selling the “White Conservative Christian America (aka Real Americans!) is WINNING AGAIN! Let’s take back our nation!” line to the frothy base into November.

  • Nefercat

    “And Johnson and Coburn are clearly not aware that their plan wouldn’t be legal under current law.”
    ————————-
    I don’t know about that. I don’t think they care whether it is legal or not. The only thing that matters is demanding that the President obey their demands. If he does, they will immediately jump on his lawlessness. If he doesn’t accede to their demands, they will just keep screaming that he is breaking the law because their base also doesn’t know or care what the facts are.

    • Badgerite

      I would say I was disappointed in Johnson, except that I never had any real expectations where he is concerned.

  • aynwrong

    So, if I have this right;
    The GOP is not going to vote to fund the thing that they are demanding the President do and when he is unable to do the thing they are demanding he do due to their refusal to fund it they are going to blame Obama for not doing the thing that they demand he do.
    F***ING A$$HOLES!!!

    • bphoon

      Perfect circular “logic”, GOP-style.

  • muselet

    According to Steve Benen, it’s getting worse:

    Senate Minority Whip John Cornyn (R-Tex.), for example, is demanding a presidential photo-op at the border.

    “If it’s serious enough for him to send a $3.7 billion funding request to us, I would think it would be serious enough for him to take an hour of his time on Air Force One to go down and see for himself what the conditions are,” Cornyn told reporters. “I think it would be instructive for him.”

    Words cannot express the contempt I have for these people.

    –alopecia

    • Nefercat

      And then they will accuse him of exploiting the situation for a photo-op.

      • muselet

        Of course.

        –alopecia