Give Me Your Tired, Your Poor, Your… No, Scratch That

The Tweedledee and Tweedledum Duo of Lindsey Graham and John McCain are demanding that we send children packing and threaten to cut aid to their home countries if more children follow.

“It’s a humanitarian problem but it’s apart from immigration reform, this is a specific problem created by the impression that if you get to America that you can stay,” Graham said on CBS’s “Face the Nation.”

“We’ve got to turn that impression around, send these children back and tell the countries in question that if you don’t keep them and take care of them we’re going to cut all aid off.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said on the same show that anyone seeking asylum should instead go to the U.S. embassies and consulates and “we’ll beef up those capabilities.”

McCain also called for cutting aid this afternoon.

“We should tell these countries in Central America that no more aid, no more assistance, no nothing until they stop this from happening,” Arizona Sen. John McCain told KFYI radio in Phoenix.

I’m not sure who the “we” is John McCain refers to when he says that “we’ll beef up those capabilities,” because if it’s congressional Republicans he’s referring to he may want to check with them first.

We, as in America, could “beef up” the capability to immigrate legally or seek asylum if House Republicans would agree to pass a comprehensive immigration reform bill, but as things stand John McCain is more or less encouraging President Obama to take executive action.

Barring that, if we do cut aid to the home countries of child immigrants, what would happen then? The situation could grow worse.

It may be about time to shut down the Statue of Liberty or at least close her for maintenance.

This entry was posted in Immigration, John McCain and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    It’s almost enough to make one think Senators and BFFs Lindsey Graham and John McCain have no understanding of what’s going on in Central America, and no understanding of how to solve any problem without resorting to punishing, bombing, arming, or “taking out” someone.

    But that couldn’t possibly be, could it?

    –alopecia

  • Nefercat

    “that if you don’t keep them and take care of them”
    ————————————————-
    Oh, they’ll take care of them all right.

    Do these two belligerent clowns not realize that a) if their country was able or willing to care for them, they would not have fled, and b) it is very likely that it is the government they are fleeing from?

  • jimmyt

    I dont remember the statue of liberty setting policy, it is French after all.

    Also she never mentions free welfare, rent, healthcare , or education.

    • JMAshby

      I can’t tell if this is a serious comment or a joke.

      • Victor_the_Crab

        No, he’s being serious. Just check into his posts and you will find a lot of right wing drivel from that asshat.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Also she never mentions free welfare, rent, healthcare , or education

      Nor does she say “Give me your tired, your poor,
      Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
      So that I can send them back to you”

    • nathkatun7

      I am in favor of sending Jimmyt, John McCain and Lindsey Graham back to Europe.

      • muselet

        What did Europe do to deserve that?

        –alopecia

        • nathkatun7

          Sorry, Muselet. I have absolutely nothing against Europe. I just wanted to highlight the fact that the ancestors of Jimmyt, John McCain and Lindsey Graham were all immigrants from Europe.

          • muselet

            Understood. I just couldn’t pass up the joke.

            –alopecia

          • jimmyt

            aww the welfare crowd is angry

          • Bosma

            Dude, I absolutely guarantee that at some point or other, at the very least-DOZENS if not more of YOUR relatives that came over here from Europe, either came here as an illegal or migrate worker who at some point was “sucking off the teat of big government” when their chips were down, because that is exactly what a free thinking society does for its people- Expect hard work, then help them when their chips are down so that they can brush themselves off and stand back up and make something of themselves (those bootstraps that you right-wingers LOVE to jerk off over). That is what is refereed to as an investment in something. And its SO convenient for an asshole like you to forget all of that (or to just lie about not having used the system in that way himself) and kick someone else when they are down. Pussy….

  • Zen Diesel

    Johnny Rotten Judgement and Calvin Candie whining about the President is getting tired. They need to seriously go away, and shut their piehole.

  • Badgerite

    They are all about the life of children. Until they are actually born. I guess that is the point at which they become “takers”.

    • Christopher Foxx

      They are all about the life of children. Until they are actually born.

      No they’re not. They’re all about controlling others to preserve their own positions of privileged. Before and after life begins.

      • Badgerite

        Well, that too.

        • Christopher Foxx

          Well, that too.

          FTFY.

          • Badgerite

            Thanks.

  • Christopher Foxx

    and tell the countries in question that if you don’t keep them and take care of them we’re going to cut all aid off.

    In other words, the usual utter lack of logic or compassion that is all we ever see from conservatives:
    If you’re in a situation that you can’t get out of without help, then you have to get out of it yourself before we’ll give you any help.

  • Christopher Foxx

    but as things stand John McCain is more or less encouraging President Obama to take executive action.

    Obama should call him on that. Have a public exchange with McCain where McCain’s hypocrisy and Republican self-contradictions are inescapably obvious. “So, John, you want the Republicans to stop blocking immigration reform? Or you saying, given that inaction, that you want me to take executive action on my own?”

    • Tony Lavely

      Calls for a ‘Please proceed, Senator.’