John Boehner Still Doesn’t Know What He’s Suing For

bcs_boehner_sobbing

Offering no specifics whatsoever, Speaker of the House John Boehner attacked the president for his “flippant dismissal” of the House Republicans’ supposedly-impending lawsuit in an Op-Ed written for CNN.

That’s why, later this month, we will bring legislation to the House floor that would authorize the House of Representatives to file suit in an effort to compel President Obama to follow his oath of office and faithfully execute the laws of our country.

The President’s response: “So sue me.”

What’s disappointing is the President’s flippant dismissal of the Constitution we are both sworn to defend. It is utterly beneath the dignity of the office. I know the President is frustrated. I’m frustrated. The American people are frustrated, too.

Although the House will authorize a lawsuit at the tail end of the month, that doesn’t necessarily mean a lawsuit will be filed at that time. And until an actual lawsuit is filed, we may not know the specifics of it. That’s assuming it will be any more specific than Boehner has been up to this point.

Congress will go on summer vacation shortly after authorizing the lawsuit, meaning when Congress returns from vacation we’ll be in the heart of campaign season.

I don’t think that’s a coincidence. Prospective wingnuts can brag about the lawsuit they’re going to file during a month of town hall meetings.

That’s right, town hall season is almost upon us and the crazy are crazier than ever.

This entry was posted in Congress, Ethics, President Obama and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • notoriousbob

    Hey Ashby, at that link the guy at the end of the clip references 13 EOs that have been unanimously overturned by the SCOTUS. I had no luck trying to find what these are about. Any insight?

  • muselet

    I was struck by the *ahem* very precise language in the CNN piece:

    “But too often …” “… at times …” “… the President’s habit …” “… the President’s whim …” “… has consistently overstepped his authority …”

    John Boehner should let the staffer who wrote it do something he’s better suited for. Making balloon animals would seem to be ideal, given the sheer volume of hot air.

    But let’s pretend for the moment that the argle-bargle blargh! unaccountably published by CNN under his name accurately reflects Boehner’s position. The Constitution makes no mention of one branch of the federal government filing a lawsuit against another (I’ve looked, twice, and it’s simply not in there). So Boehner is proposing an extra-constitutional response to what he perceives as extra-constitutional behavior on the part of Barack Obama.

    What the Constitution does say explicitly is that the Congress can remove from office a sitting president—precise language here—”on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.”

    Feel free to follow the actual constitutional remedy here, Mr Speaker Boehner. If you’re so gosh-darned angry over all the unconstitutional interpreting and prioritizing of laws being done by that awful dusky person occupying the Oval Office—never mind that every president since George Washington has done those terrible things, too—then file articles of impeachment.

    Please put up or shut up, Mr Speaker, because this lawsuit business is both unconstitutional and tiresome.

    –alopecia

  • Robert Scalzi

    I recently saw a meme with a picture, it had Boehner on the left and Obama to his right (in the photo used)
    Boehner was saying “I was serious about that lawsuit , why are you still smiling ??” to which Obama replied “I am a constitutional lawyer , and you are an Idiot”
    that about sums it up – Boehner is an Idiot wish I could find the meme to share but….

    • Christopher Foxx

      Gosh, that took all of two seconds “googling” for the phrase you quoted Obama saying.

      https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrVi1ceCIAAYUoE.png:large

      • Robert Scalzi

        well thanks but you didn’t have to be an asshole about it Chris – you could have just posted it with out the put down. Kinda douchy

        • Christopher Foxx

          you didn’t have to be an asshole about it Chris

          I prefer Christopher.

          And you’re right. I knew I was being a bit obnoxious when I wrote it.

          But in my defense, it was painfully easy to find and if you’re going to make a point of saying you “wish[ed you] could find the meme to share but….” it seemed you could have spent a few seconds actually making an effort to do so.

          • Robert Scalzi

            I refuse to use Google and it did not come up on my bing searches – albeit I didn’t try for too long as I remembered the quote

          • Christopher Foxx

            I refuse to use Google

            I tend toward Google, although I often find Bing has better image results. At least they’re better about not making you sign in to get unfiltered results.

            But I’m curious. Why the refusal to use Google? Their tendency to violate their own original mission statement of “Don’t be evil”? I”m not sure Microsoft’s Bing (or any other major search) is that different in that respect.

  • Mike_Norris

    The Speaker has no idea how frustrated I am. Fuck him and the lawsuit he rode in on.

  • Nefercat

    “What’s disappointing is the President’s flippant dismissal of the Constitution we are both sworn to defend.”
    ——————————————-
    No, no, Boehner! The President wasn’t flippantly dismissing the Constitution! He was flippantly dismissing you and your cat box of a law suit. Feel better?

  • Zen Diesel

    I guess it’s too much to ask the HOR to pass a jobs bill before going on VaCa, oh wait, they have passed 40 bills, but the mean ole Harry Reid won’t bring them in the Senate. /snark

  • LTanya Spearman

    People need to petition to sue his sorry a@# for wasting taxpayer money and not doing his damn job.
    As speaker he blew taxpayer $$ money on:
    GOP political shutdown cost $24 BILLION
    Threaten Country Default cost $17 BILLION + Downgrade country credit rating AAA > AA
    $$$ MILLIONS on Phony Hearings, Investigations, Indep. Prosecutor (DOMA)
    $$$ MILLIONS Cut Funding to Embassies Security, Veteran Benefits, SNAP

    Now the Bonehead Drunk going to waste more Taxpayers money on another hair-brain scheme & Taking away taxpayers JOBS in the process.
    The Highway Trust Fund Act is coming due, and if this cowardly drunk don’t reauthorize funding a est. 700K people will lose their jobs.

    This is all for personal gain and power…