Mixed Messages

Representative Steve Pearce (R-NM) was among a delegation who visited Honduras and Guatemala last week and he says violence is not driving immigration to the United States, however the delegation was afraid to leave the hotel during their stay.

Congressman Steve Pearce said Wednesday that most immigrants from Central America who are crossing illegally into the United States are driven by economic reasons, not fear of physical danger in their homeland. [...]

Pearce said he and the rest of the House delegation that visited Honduras and Guatemala did not venture from their hotel very often because of the dangers, but the message they received in both countries was consistent: “Send back our children.”

If delegates and congressmen who presumably have an armed security detail are afraid to leave their hotel, what must impoverished children be dealing with?

This entry was posted in Epic Fail, Immigration and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • chester miller

    Different state (NM), not MN. They have Bachman. Pearce is our version of the same thing..

    • JMAshby

      Just a typo I didn’t catch. I know Pearce isn’t from Minnesota. Thanks for pointing it out.

  • fry1laurie

    Those people have braver children than we have politicians.

  • Nefercat

    ““Send back our children.””
    ————————
    Uh-huh. So Cruz’s “holding children for ransom” is how they are going to play this? The President swooped down into the calm safe haven of Honduras and Guatemala and snatched these children out of their parents’ arms so that his good friends Perry and Hannity could have really cool badass photo-ops, no wait, uh, hmm…

    If parents are asking for their children back, can it be because they have seen the screaming monsters in the US threatening them and heard of the suggestions for shooting them as they dodge land mines?

  • muselet

    Steve Pearce spent a weekend cowering under the bed in his hotel room because those terrible brown countries are so violent and dangerous!, but the people who live amidst of all that violence and dangerousness aren’t leaving because they fear for their lives, they’re leaving because of jobs?

    In what reality does that make sense?

    Is there anything these tough-guys aren’t afraid of?