Outreach: Rep. Gohmert (R-TX) Says Immigrant Children are Terrorists and Rapists

GohmertFox

Representative Louie Gohmert (R-Batshit) says immigrant children from Central America have been coached to say they’ve fled violence in their home countries.

Why would someone coach them to say that? Because, according to Gohmert, they’re terrorists and rapist who only appear harmless.

via RightWingWatch

“Texas and the United States is [sic] being invaded and we’re in danger,” Gohmert said, before alleging that most of the unaccompanied minors are lying when they tell border patrol agents that they are escaping gang violence in Central America and have been coached to make such claims. Gohmert said minors end up telling officers that “we were told to say that we were fleeing gang violence.”

The congressmen went on to say that “the penetration of criminals and terrorists across our southern border” represents a threat to the U.S. comparable to the threat of a nuclear strike from Iran against Israel.

Gohmert also says the real War on Women is President Obama’s enabling of these child rapists who obviously travel thousands of miles just to commit rapes.

GOHMERT: If you want to talk about a War on Women, talk about the president not securing the border that allowed 7,000 women to be raped or sexually assaulted in Texas.

This would be a good time to remind you that the overwhelming majority of children who have migrated here from Central America are under 10-years-old. A majority of them haven’t even entered puberty. They’re children. They came here looking for food and shelter because some damn fool led them to believe America was a land of compassion and opportunity.

We may know that Louie Gohmert is a disturbed man who belongs in a padded cell, but each insane thing he says encourages the armed lunatics who’ve decided to take matters into their own hands. And the ironic truth is it’s more likely his words will lead to the death of local law enforcement than the mythical invading rapists he speaks of.

This entry was posted in Immigration, Wingnuts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    How did this man reach adulthood without stepping in front of a railroad train or drinking a can of paint?

  • Username1016

    I would dearly love to stand him up in front of THE ACTUAL CHILDREN, who are mostly under ten (and how much under ten? Are we talking about eight-year-olds? five-year-olds?) and ask him to repeat his remarks with the cameras rolling. It would top Sarah Palin’s interview in front of the turkey slaughterers for a visual. Wow.

    • JMAshby

      My understanding is the average age is around eight. That’s based on news reports. There are teenagers who have recently crossed as well, but they are fewer.

    • D_C_Wilson

      I doubt he possesses the self-awareness or the empathy to realize what he’d be saying to them.

  • Sabyen91

    It is really disturbing when stump-stupid meets evil…

  • muselet

    I listened to the first audio clip at the link, and was struck by this (my transcription, 1:22–1:49):

    You also need to know that Marine Corps General John Kelly, who is commander of SOUTHCOM, the area that includes our southern border, he has made the statement that the penetration by criminals and terrorists across our southern border is an existential threat.

    Wow, says I, that’s a big story. Why have I not seen anything about it?

    So, off to the Googles I go. Searching on the name John F. Kelly brings up mostly biographical references. The name plus “criminals” just changes the order in which results are displayed; likewise with “terrorists.” So I try the name and “existential threat” and bingo.

    Sorta.

    General Kelly did an interview or exchanged emails or something with Defense One (I’d never heard of it, either, but it’s a legitimate site focusing on military matters), which published a story on 5 July under the headline, “Top General Says Mexico Border Security Now ‘Existential’ Threat to U.S.”

    The actual comment by General Kelly:

    “In comparison to other global threats, the near collapse of societies in the hemisphere with the associated drug and [undocumented immigrant] flow are frequently viewed to be of low importance,” Kelly told Defense One. “Many argue these threats are not existential and do not challenge our national security. I disagree.”

    In other words, the general believes having failed states across our southern border represents a serious, existential threat.

    And water is wet, fire is hot, and Louie Gohmert doesn’t have the brains the good lord gave celery.

    As for the second piece of audio, well, it’s Gohmert. What more needs be said?

    –alopecia

  • earl hickey

    I believe all these children are wonderful , beautiful, smart and deserving of a break. I still don’t want them in the US simply because we can’t afford them. America , this is what you get when you spend trillions on stupid wars and waste trillions more bailing out the 1%. you don’t get to a nice thing like helping out deserving children. I blame Bush for our having to turn away deserving children.

    • Sabyen91

      Considering much of the damage in Central America is driven by our drug war we can’t just turn them away with a clean conscience.

      • earl hickey

        We will just have to live with a dirty conscience. this should serve as a reminder to us to keep our finances under control so that we are ready for emergencies. i hope the lesson sticks in our collective consciousness for centuries.

        • Sabyen91

          Well…I am glad you can live with that.

        • FlipYrWhig

          This is odd logic, though. Do you not donate to charities because you still owe money on your house? Long-term debt and short-term cash flow aren’t an irreconcilable problem. Regardless of where you see yourself on the ideological spectrum, I think you’re going awry here. What a country can and can’t “afford” isn’t nearly so zero-sum as you’re making it sound.