Pray the Regulation Away

Sepeaking of Big Coal, this is bewildering.

Regulators from the Alabama Public Service Commission have asked residents of Alabama to pray that the Environment Protection Agency will change it’s mind on regulating carbon emissions.

At their news conference today Cavanaugh and PSC commissioner-elect Chip Beeker invoked the name of God in stating their opposition to the EPA proposal. Beeker, a Republican who is running unopposed for a PSC seat, said coal was created in Alabama by God, and the federal government should not enact policy that runs counter to God’s plan.

Who has the right to take what God’s given a state?” he said. [...]

I hope all the citizens of Alabama will be in prayer that the right thing will be done,” she said.

The Public Service Commission’s job is regulate the rates utilities can charge their customers and what amount of profit they are allowed to earn from it.

Rather than assure the citizens of Alabama that they will not allow utilities to charge them extra without evidence that it’s really necessary, and even though the Alabama Power Co. apparently has not said what impact the new regulations could have on prices, they’re asking for prayer to stop the EPA.

A prayer to continue polluting the air with reckless abandon. Because Jesus.

I give up.

This entry was posted in Environment, Religion and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    If there is a god, he/she/it must be terribly embarrassed by dumbasses like the members of the Alabama Public Service Commission.

    Oh, hey, speaking of dumbasses:

    “The Obama administration should be concerned about a potential world at war instead of something dumb, like a war on coal,” [Paul Reynolds, an Alabama representative to the Republican National Committee] said [at the PSC press conference]. “What we’re dealing with is government run amok.”

    And when rising sea levels drive populations from their homes, your “potential world at war” will become a real world at war. Government running amok will be the least of your worries at that point, and your precious AR-15 won’t be much help against a few billion angry, hungry, desperate people.

    Head, meet desk.

    –alopecia

    • j hentai

      but unfortunately, it’s not their head meet my desk (repeat until bored).

      • muselet

        That would be more satisfying.

        –alopecia

        • j hentai

          amen!

    • D_C_Wilson

      They’ll blame it on Obama.

      • muselet

        But of course.

        –alopecia

      • Sabyen91

        The anti-Christ talk will be full-throated.

  • 1933john

    Not to worry, if you have
    your finger up your ass,
    you can’t “shit a brick”.

  • Christopher Foxx

    “Who has the right to take what God’s given a state?”

    Well, by the same argument, who has the right to take what God’s given out of the ground?

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    Texas prayed for rain a couple years back with Rick Perry leading the charge and that devastating drought in the southwest just went…….oops!

    https://www.google.ca/#q=american+drought+texas+pictures

  • Hooverville Follies

    I suggested to my wife, who heads a faith-based environmental program, that she make Alabama her new mission field. Actually, that primitive level of awareness might drive her nuts.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Jeebus fleebing cripes on a popsicle stick. We are so f***ed…..

  • Sabyen91

    “Who has the right to take what God’s given a state?”

    Hmm, let’s see.

    Jer. 2:7. I brought you into a fertile land to eat its fruit and rich produce. But you came and defiled my land and you made my inheritance detestable.

    Ezekiel 34:17-18. As for you, my flock… Is it not enough for you to feed on good pasture? Must you also trample the rest of your pasture with your feet? Is it not enough for you to drink clear water? Must you also muddy the rest with your feet?

    Lev. 25:23-24. The land is mine and you are but aliens and my tenants. Throughout the country that you hold as a possession, you must provide for the redemption of the land.

    Read your own book, hypocrite.

  • americanadian

    Well, apply the same thinking to marijuana or magic mushrooms. Growing up we had magic mushrooms growing on our lawn & others just walking down the street. I was always amazed at how I could be locked up for picking them & eating them or just having some in my pocket. All created by GOD also (or the flying spaghetti monster). Let em argue coal is created by GOD. And 6000 years ago, too.

  • CaptYossarian

    I say let’s pray Alabama away. Not that prayer ever solved anything, but hope springs eternal, heh?