Rep. Gohmert Wants to Raise Taxes to Pay for a Military Campaign Against Children

bcs_gohmert_wall

Representative Louie Gohmert isn’t interested in approving President Obama’s spending request of $3.7 billion which would fund additional processing centers, judges, lawyers, and border control agents, but he is interested in seeing his home state of Texas raise taxes to fund a hot war against children.

GOHMERT: “I’m hoping that my governor will utilize Article 1, Section 10, that allows a state that is being invadedin our case more than twice as many just in recent months, more than twice as many than invaded France on D-Day with a doubling of that coming en route, on their way here now under Article 1, Section 10, the state of Texas would appear to have the right, not only to use whatever means, whether it’s troops, even using ships of war, even exacting a tax on interstate commerce that wouldn’t normally be allowed to have or utilize, they’d be entitled in order to pay to stop the invasion.

The idea that small, unaccompanied, malnourished children coming across the border are comparable to an invading army is absolutely ludicrous and unhinged. Furthermore, over 150,000 men invaded France on D-Day, but our best estimates say that approximately 50,000 undocumented children have entered the United States. So his numbers are a bit off in addition to being a fucking ridiculous comparison.

I’m clearly going to need a refresher on the constitution because I don’t recall the part that says states can unilaterally wage a military campaign against children or anyone else for that matter.

Most of the unaccompanied children who have crossed the border are less than 10-years-old.

This entry was posted in Immigration, Wingnuts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Victor_the_Crab

    Perry, Hannity, Gohmert. Such real men’s men to stand up to the evil that is frightened children who were escaping a hellscape in their native countries, only to wonder what they arrived to. There are not enough awful words to describe these individuals.

  • Nefercat

    So. At long last, we now know what will spur a republican to cry out for raising taxes.

    Waging war against frightened, sobbing, hungry, thirsty, small children. Because they are just as scary and deadly and dangerous as 150,000 armed military troops.

    Hey “Christian” (ha!) Louie:
    Luke 16:18 “But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.”

    • Churchlady320

      Louie’s probably part of the Conservative Bible Project that is expunging all the liberal stuff from the bible such as Luke 16:18. I am NOT making this up. I am trying to reconcile the jaw-dropping inconsistency between “inerrant holy writ” and “bowdlerization”.

      • Nefercat

        I’ve seen that bible! You are right; the cognitive dissonance going on in that project is beyond mind-boggling.

        I’m sure the conservative bible interpretation involves God wanting little children to suffer as these vicious clowns have no concept of linguistics or how word usage and meanings change.

  • Lady Willpower

    Ummm. Does he realize that the invading force on D-Day was, ummm, us?

    • Nefercat

      Details, details.

      That’s exactly what they’re hoping will happen. Then they can blame Obama for dead kids.

      • muselet

        Alas, you’re probably right.

        On the bright, or at least amusing, side, even Brit Hume understands the problem with the “mobilize the National Guard” solution.

        Rick Perry, unsurprisingly, not so much.

          “But the question I’m trying to get at with you is this: if these children, who have undergone these harrowing journeys to escape from the most desperate conditions in their home countries, have gotten this far, are they really going to be deterred by the presence of troops along the border who won’t shoot them and can’t arrest them?” [Hume] asked.

          “I think we’re talking about two different things here,” Perry responded.

          Yeah. Hume is talking about reality and pragmatism. Perry’s talking about “visuals”.

  • Dennis Collins

    War ships in the Rio Grande? This man is completely insane, there is no other explanation for his comments. you can walk across some of it (the river, not the insanity). God help the folks in Texas who still have functioning rational intellects if Gomert is reelected ever. He single-handedly reduces the IQ of the state by 35 or more points.