Setting the Record Straight on Chris McDaniel

Chris McDaniel’s hometown newspaper — the Laurel Leader — assures us that the sometimes-keynote speaker for neo-Confederate meetups can’t be racist because he once played basketball.

“It’s been frustrating to see so many people in the black community be convinced that Chris McDaniel was a racist just because someone they trusted told them he was,” the editorial, published on July 2, read. “If they did a little research on their own, they would find out that McDaniel was a basketball standout at South Jones and Jones County Junior College.”

Oh.

Coincidentally, Chris McDaniel addressed a neo-Confederate conference in Laurel, home of the newspaper that tells us he can’t be a racist because he played basketball.

In August [2013], McDaniel addressed a neo-Confederate conference in Laurel, Miss., near his hometown of Ellisville. A local chapter of the Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV), the Jones County Rosin Heels, hosted the two-day event, which the group described in invitations as a “Southern Heritage Conference” for “politically incorrect folks.” Attendees were advised to dress in “Confederate uniforms and antebellum ball gowns or wee kilties.” McDaniel’s appearance at the Rosin Heels heritage conference was not a one-off occurrence; weeks earlier he was the keynote speaker at a separate event in Jackson.

SCV1

Next they’ll us that being a neo-Confederate Lost Causer has nothing to do with racism.

The Mississippi Republican party has certified the election results, declaring Thad Chochran the winner.

Chris McDaniel and his supporters aren’t going away quietly, however. His staff and supporters are still pouring over data in the search for black voters who supposedly don’t belong.

McDaniel has supporters in Washington, too. Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) is calling for an investigation. The Senate Conservatives Fund also sent $70,000 to the McDaniel campaign to challenge the election results.

This entry was posted in Racism, Sports and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Ipecac

    “If they did a little research on their own, they would find out that McDaniel was a basketball standout at South Jones and Jones County Junior College.”

    What — the — fuck.

    • Churchlady320

      White racist code for : that’s all the talent Black people have so rock on, African-Americans. Rock on.

  • muselet

    TPM ran a photo of the editorial (at the link) and it’s well worth reading.

    Don’t misunderstand, it’s wrong-headed and cringe-inducing, but it’s also a window into the soul of someone who doesn’t seem to understand why racism is considered a bad thing.

    As for the intra-party strife over the Mississippi runoff election, all I can do is quote the estimable Roy Edroso, who said (in a different context), “Feed, cannibals. Feed!”

    –alopecia

  • Imma Commenter

    I wonder how many of these McDaniel supporters told us to get over it when the SCOTUS gave the presidency to Bush over Gore?

  • 1933john

    Ya”all Come, Ya Hear!

  • Nefercat

    ““It’s been frustrating to see so many people in the black community be convinced that Chris McDaniel was a racist just because someone they trusted told them he was,””
    ——————————-
    Yes, of course. Those people in the black community only think McDaniel is racist because someone they trusted told them so.

    It’s not as though they can think for themselves, right? The only ideas in their heads are put there by others, right?

    It couldn’t possibly be because so many people in the black community have seen with their own eyes McDaniels doing racist things, or have heard with their own ears McDaniels saying racist things, and then used critical thinking skills to draw their own conclusions.

    I just saw a similar concept yesterday regarding rape (“you only think you were raped because someone told you that you were”) or words to that effect.

    This line of bullshit just makes me want to pound my head against a wall. Or commence to drinking.

    • Churchlady320

      I seriously recommend the latter over the former. The latter is something from which you can recover.

  • Hemisemidemiquaver

    B. Hussein Obama, the President of the United States since January 20, 2009, continues to play basketball to this day.

    I wonder what sins (other than being blackity-black-black-black) that absolves him of?

  • Churchlady320

    And here I thought all along it was the GOP conservatives who wanted “open primaries” to lure disaffected WHITE Dems over to their camp.
    You bought it. You pay for it.