Todd “Legitimate Rape” Akin is Talking About Legitimate Rape Again

Former congressman Todd Akin (R-MO) continued his comeback tour today by appearing on MSNBC and offering a non-apology apology for his use of the phrase “legitimate rape.”

“Legitimate rape is a law enforcement term. And it’s abbreviation for legitimate case of rape,” said Akin. The former congressman added, “If I had been choosing my words better, I should have said legitimate case of rape. And I have acknowledged that it is a poor choice of words.” [...]

“This is something that was intentionally misunderstood and twisted for political purposes,” he said.

Even if you’re feeling generous and accept the idea he merely misspoke when he used the term “legitimate rape” (and yet here he is defending its use) that doesn’t explain his assertion that the human female body has a way of “shutting that whole thing down” if it was a legit rape.

“Legitimate rape” is not a law enforcement term and “legitimate case of rape” doesn’t make it better in the context he used it. He asserted that children can’t be conceived during a real rape, and if they are it wasn’t real.

I can only imagine how Republican surrogates and campaign operatives feel about Todd Akin’s comeback tour.

DoingGreat

This entry was posted in WTF and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Lady Willpower

    Are you kidding? They’re on his side. They think he was unfairly persecuted. They will rally around him like they did with Georga “Macaca” Allen.

    • muselet

      Oh, absolutely the base agrees with him, but Todd Akin’s inability to shut up is complicating things for the party leadership and saner campaign operatives. Only a few kooks—and candidates running in the reddest of red districts in the reddest of red states—will publicly express support for Akin’s views. It could be amusing to watch candidates try to weasel out of agreeing or disagreeing with Akin.

      If we’re very lucky, Todd Akin’s book tour will last until November.

      I was referring to the people charged with actually winning a campaign. The campaign managers and staffers who are responsible for doing the real work of running a campaign. Even if they do agree with him, they’d prefer he shut up.

  • muselet

    Todd Akin: the gift that keeps on giving.

    –alopecia

  • Username1016

    So, let me get this straight, “legitimate case of rape” is a law enforcement term BECAUSE –? Because law enforcement in this country thinks cases of rape default to “illegitimate” ones, meaning the woman is lying? God damn. We have such a long way to go.

  • vgranucci

    IOW, all those sluts are lying.