Why Do Republicans Hate the Constitution and Babies?

After saying that the governor should send the National Guard to another state to confront the invasion of small, defenseless children during a town hall meeting, Representative Steven Palazzo (R-MS) said he wants to deport even the children who are born here inside the United States.

U.S. Rep. Steven Palazzo told constituents Monday night that Gov. Phil Bryant should send National Guard troops to Texas to help with the border crisis. [...]

Palazzo also said he would support changing federal law that allows children born to illegal immigrants in America to remain as citizens. Palazzo said he believes “anchor babies” should be deported with their parents.

The Fourteenth Amendment dictates that anyone born inside the United States is automatically a citizen.

I guess if you’re a strict constitutional originalist, you may or may not view the Fourteenth Amendment as legitimate.

It’s easy to get confused when Republicans selectively support or deride segments of the constitution depending on what day of the week it is and who the target of their ire is.

We all know the Second Amendment is sacrosanct, but other amendments are apparently debatable.

What would a theoretical constitution drafted by today’s Republicans look like?

This entry was posted in Immigration, Racism and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Christopher Foxx

    What would a theoretical constitution drafted by today’s Republicans look like?

    In its entirety:

    WE THE PEOPLE of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, insure domestic Tranquility and protection from fact-based wrong thinking, provide for the defence contractors, promote our Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to just ourselves, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

    Article II
    Section 1:
    No Person except a natural born Citizen, and a Citizen of the United States of fair complexion, shall be eligible to the Office of President.

    Amendment 2:
    Guns good. Allowed everywhere. No exceptions.

    • Toolymegapoopoo

      Amendment 3: Except Smart Guns and any gun or law that does anything to prevent children from accidentally killing themselves with them.
      Amendment 4: Science bad. Science very bad.

    • D_C_Wilson

      WE THE RICH, WHITE, CHRISTIAN MENPEOPLE of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, insure domestic Tranquility and protection from fact-based wrong thinking, provide for the defence contractors, promote our Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to just ourselves, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

  • RamOrgan

    “I guess if you’re a strict constitutional originalist, you may or may not view the Fourteenth Amendment as legitimate.”

    Or the 13th.

  • Mike_Norris

    Ashby, I know that from time to time you say that “conservatism is a mental illness.” I think that you say that kind of tongue in cheek, but I am thinking that your statement is actually scary true. I truly believe that there is clear evidence that in order to be a conservative, or a member of the current form of the Republican party, one must be somewhat–how shall I say this–stupid. At a minimum, I think in order to be a conservative, you have to have a significantly reduced intellect. I am not speaking of narrow vision–I leave that to Republican legacies like Barry Goldwater and George H.W. Bush. Today’s conservatives–and most of their devotees–are just plain stupid.
    All of their rhetoric about the president’s violation of the constitution and their constant talk of impeachment is not just about firing up their base–they believe in what they say. Republicans understand the constitution as about as far as their idiotic interpretation of the first and second amendments can take them. Beyond that, their ignorance, reduced intellect, and high rate of political illiteracy prevents them from having any strategy at all except devising new ways to fuck the president instead of governing.

    • Concern_Troll

      Ah. But are today’s Republicans drawn to the party because they’re stupid—or are they stupid because their party relies heavily on misinformation and propaganda?

  • FlipYrWhig

    What exactly do they think is going on at the border that they keep coming up with this ludicrous set of suggestions? Pancho Villa’s bandoleros doing cross-border raids? It’s just stupid. The National Guard has diddly-squat to do with anything.

  • muselet

    Clearly it’s beyond the understanding of Righties that not every situation is best dealt with militarily.

    –alopecia