Dan Snyder’s Outreach Campaign Continues

Snyder

You can’t make this shit up.

Washington football team owner Dan Snyder’s outreach program, the Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation, has solicited artwork from a Native American tribe in New Mexico that proudly depicts the Redskins logo.

That’s enough of an insult — asking a native tribe to glorify a slur in their artwork — but apparently local artists have also been asked to not show up drunk.

via Deadspin

DrunkRedskins

This is just as exploitative as it is tone deaf. Native Americans live under a high rate of poverty (higher than any other minority and twice the national average) and the multi-billion dollar Washington football team franchise is offering to pay them for their artwork featuring a demeaning portrait of themselves.

Presumably the artwork purchased by Snyder’s foundation will be transported back to the team’s home field and displayed as some sort of proof that not all Native Americans are offended by the team’s name.

Dan Snyder has been advised by Ari Fleischer, Frank Luntz, Lanny Davis, and George “Macaca” Allen on public relations.

This entry was posted in Ethics, Racism, Sports and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    To be fair, I don’t think the Washington NFL club’s logo is demeaning. Its nickname is demeaning.

    By way of illustration, in the case of the Cleveland baseball club, I think the opposite is true; the nickname is not demeaning, but the logo is.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Cleveland’s baseball club has actually taken measures to distance themselves from their Chief Wahoo logo, such as featuring the block “C”, from their caps, as well as their script logo on their uniforms. Their offensive logo is either downplayed or ignored altogether.

      • GrafZeppelin127

        Yes; they won’t admit it publicly, but they are gradually phasing it out.

    • JMAshby

      It’s a fair point, however I also think it’s fair to link the Washington logo directly with the name of the team while the “Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation” is asking for submissions. And if the name of the team is ever changed, it seems highly unlikely to me that the logo would remain the same.

      • GrafZeppelin127

        I’d actually like to see them keep the logo, uniforms and colors.
        I think it’s possible to change one and not the other, although most of the alternative names are problematic somehow. “Washington Warriors” seems to be the most popular, although there’s already an NBA team called the Warriors (not that the NFL would care; the Carolina Panthers followed right on the heels of the Florida Panthers). “Washington Redhawks” is also popular, but there’s already a ‘Hawks team in the NFL, the Seattle Seahawks. “Washington Renegades” would work too, and they could keep their “R” accessories, although they might balk at using a team name from the USFL (but, again, the Panthers). I’ve also heard Washington Scouts, Washington Potomacs, Washington Natives and Washington Tribe.

        • Christopher Foxx

          Potomacs, or the name of some other tribe that was in the DC area, should be used.

          • GrafZeppelin127

            I actually looked that up some time ago, and found that there really aren’t any. At least, none that could plausibly be used as the name of a football team. You would think there would be, but there arent.

          • Christopher Foxx

            You would think there would be, but there arent.

            Granted it was a swamp pre-DC. (Well a less metaphorical swamp, at least.) But I’d still think there must have been tries in the area.

            An actually tribe name strikes me as more appropraiate (assuming they stay with an “native” theme) than “scout” “warrior” or any of the other proposals that basically say “this is the pigeon hole we’ll put natives in now”.

          • GrafZeppelin127

            Sure, but the trick is to find one. The real trick is to find one that makes sense geographically and is also marketable. Easier said than done.

        • JMAshby

          I don’t have the time to look it up right now, but I recall a piece about the huge some of money the team could rake in by changing the logo because of the new merchandise.

          • GrafZeppelin127

            That’s always true. But sometimes changing the logo and colors just to sell new merchandise backfires in a big way. See, e.g., this.

        • JMAshby

          Wait, here’s a solution that I could get behind. It keeps the same colors anyway. http://deadspin.com/wanted-native-art-with-redskins-logo-and-colors-drunk-1618686583/1619788490/+Sean-Newell

  • muselet

    It won’t happen—artists gotta eat, just like the rest of us—but it would be funny—and fitting—if this solicitation got zero response.

    –alopecia

  • imavettoo

    Looks to me like the call for entries was put out by the Tribal Governmet of the Pueblo of Zuni rather than by the Washington Redheads. Guess they know their members better than outsiders do.

    • JMAshby

      Guess they know their members better than outsiders do.

      I read this as: their local government is calling them drunks so they must in fact be drunks.

      Thanks for classing it up around here.

      • imavettoo

        Yes, I guess stating the obvious would class the joint up a tad.

  • Christopher Foxx

    Scrolled down to see the highlighted portion, wondering how bad it could really Oh, my lord!