GOP Rep: Democrats are The Real Racists

Now that Congress is officially on recess, The Unhinged are free to say all of those things they were afraid to say while the CSPAN cameras were rolling.

Representative Mo Brooks (R-AL) told Hate Radio host Laura Ingraham today that the truth is Democrats are The Real Racists™. The hateful conservatives who have vociferously expressed their desires to deport immigrant children are innocents who find themselves under attack by Barack Obama.

“This is a part of the war on whites that’s being launched by the Democratic Party. And the way in which they’re launching this war is by claiming that whites hate everybody else,” Brooks told conservative radio host Laura Ingraham. “It’s part of the strategy that Barack Obama implemented in 2008, continued in 2012, where he divides us all on race, on sex, greed, envy, class warfare, all those kinds of things. Well that’s not true.”

This isn’t too far removed from ALIPAC president William Gheen’s theory that President Obama has brought immigrant children into the country just to punish “evil Whitey.”

As long as they believe this, and as long as they adamantly oppose any measure of self-examination, the Republican party will continue to be the racist party.

Handing immigration legislation over to Steve King and Michele Bachmann certainly isn’t going to help you convince anyone otherwise.

“Leadership knew they couldn’t pass their bill,” Bachmann said, and as a result were forced to agree to revisions offered by tea party members, led by Steve King (R-Iowa).

“We sat down in that room last night, HC 8, in the Capitol, and it went as smooth as silk. Steve laid it out and in less than two hours we worked it out,” Bachmann said. “It was really a painless process. But it was the first time that I’ve seen leadership recognize, with respect and admiration, the work that Steve King did. Steve helped to completely gut this bill.”

As you probably recall, Secret Border Control Agent Steve King infamously said that DREAMers are mostly drug runners who have “calves the size of cantaloupes.” Among other things.

This entry was posted in Racism and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • aynwrong

    I wonder if Mo Brooks ever decides to make an appearance on one of the Sunday shows if the host of which ever show would be willing to playback the “war on whites” nonsense to his face and see if he owns up to it or if he pulls the “I misspoke” defense. I suppose there is no point in wondering whether or not George Stephanopoulos will ever have the guts to play it back to Ingraham’s face and see if she was okay with it.

    • Nefercat

      Stephanopoulos just sat there like a stunned mullet when Giuliani said that “We had no domestic attacks under Bush; we’ve had one under Obama” on Good Morning America. No pushback at all.

      • aynwrong

        Damned liberal media!!!

  • Christopher Foxx

    “This is a part of the war on whites that’s being launched by the Democratic Party. …

    And by “war on whites” he means any effort to treat non-whites the same as whites. Gotta protect that priveledge!!

    …And the way in which they’re launching this war is by claiming that whites hate everybody else,”

    Not all whites, Brooks. Just those that do hate everyone else. You can find that type in the mirror, as can all the other Republicans.

  • muselet

    “This is a part of the war on whites that’s being launched by the Democratic Party. And the way in which they’re launching this war is by claiming that whites hate everybody else.…”

    It’s Always Projection.

    Steve Benen has a slightly different take on the writing of the House’s ridiculous bill:

    Early in July, many congressional Republicans actually intended to approve President Obama’s plan to address the humanitarian crisis at the U.S./Mexico border. But the GOP’s posture kept shifting – from amending to Obama’s plan, to destroying it, to passing a far-right proposal that wasn’t considered extreme enough, to Friday night’s sad theatrics.

    The result was effectively GOP wish-fulfillment. There was no consideration of what might be politically realistic, what could plausibly become law, or even what might address the problem in some meaningful way. Boehner and the hapless House Republican leadership effectively gave up, telling their most right-wing members to have a blast: draw up the bill of their dreams, and whatever the far-right wanted is what the chamber would do.

    Hell of a way to run a government.

      Boehner and the hapless House Republican leadership effectively gave up, telling their most right-wing members to have a blast

      Ah, yes. The patented Boehner leadership style: “I must find out where my people are going so I can lead them!”

    • Victor_the_Crab

      I can just picture what the extremists on the right drew up for the immigration bill that Michelle Bachmann praised so dearly.

      “GIT OUT ‘N STAY OUT, OR WE’LL SHOOT YA’S!!!”

      • Christopher Foxx

        Nah, that can’t be it. The majority of words are spelled right.

  • Nefercat

    “The Unhinged are free to say all of those things they were afraid to say while the CSPAN cameras were rolling.”
    ————————————-
    They were afraid to say unhinged things? Huh.

    • JMAshby

      There are things they will say at town halls and on talk radio that they will not say on the floor of congress. To varying degrees.

      Michele Bachmann, for example, went on the radio to say that the president is planning to conduct medical experiments on immigrant children. That was prior to them handing the legislation to her.

      • Nefercat

        Okay, that makes sense. The inner workings of their heads don’t, but what you say does.

  • Brutlyhonest

    If only there was a way for the republican “leadership” to pass legislation without the asshats in the tp wing ……

    • Christopher Foxx

      If only there was a way for the republican “leadership” to pass legislation without the asshats in the tp wing

      Answer is easy: Work with Democrats to craft compromise legislation.

      • muselet

        And if the leadership tried, the backbenchers would react … badly. John Boehner would rather not be defenestrated, hence the constant bowing and scraping to the Rightier-than-thou fringe.

        But you knew that already.

          But you knew that already

          Of course. And Boehner is a pathetically weak and cowardly leader, completely incapable of keeping his back benchers from reacting like children.

          It’s that “John Boehner would rather not be defenestrated, hence the constant bowing and scraping” part that’s been a significant contributor to decline of the Republican party.

          • muselet

            You can’t lead people who refuse to follow.

            Yes, I’m sorta defending John Boehner, who’s stuck between the proverbials. My sympathies are limited, mind, but he has a caucus which thinks it owes the leadership no allegiance whatsoever. The best he can do, or thinks he can do, is try to damp down the wilder impulses of the caucus and wait out the storm.

            Couldn’t happen to a more deserving guy.

            You can’t lead people who refuse to follow.

            If they just utterly refuse then, well, yeah, it can be impossible. But it’s extremely rare you find someone who pushes it that far.

            Tea Partiers are self-absorbed selfish people. If Boehner had any leadership skills he’d make it clear that they’d be one-term Congresscritters if they didn’t rein it in. Their interest in being in the exclusive club would override their “principles”.

            Unfortunately, cowardly Boehner (and the rest of Republican “leadership” didn’t get it under control when it began and now it would be harder. Boo hoo for them.

        • Sabyen91

          But I think that would be good for the moderate Republicans. They need to realize they are at war with teabaggers for the soul (ok…the conscience? Oh, that is worse. Well, you know what I mean) of the party. The moderates are not winning the war of attrition.

          • muselet

            Well, yes of course, but … (There’s always a “but,” isn’t there?)

            The GOP created the Tea Party in the first place and like the Frankenstein monster it refuses to be controlled by its creator (or the genie is out of the bottle or some other metaphor that’s out there just waiting to be tortured). The Tea Party was never more than a rebranding of the die-hard base of the GOP. Abandon—or even just alienate—them and the party implodes.

            I started saying several years ago that the GOP would eventually split in two, the glibertarians and the talibangelicals, and those two groups would fight like the Kilkenny cats (and conduct endless purity purges) until neither was a viable party. I’ll amend that prediction to add the TPers as a third faction, but I’ll stand by the rest.

            The question is what sane conservatives will do. I’m a Lefty, and I can’t emphasize enough that we need a sane Conservative Party in the US, but I don’t know how popular that opinion is on the Right. It may well take the Wall Street Journal writing off the GOP as a band of incorrigible screwups to make it happen; that would have no effect on the TPers, but might be a wake-up call for the normals in the party.

            The Chinese do not, contrary to popular myth, have a blessing/curse, “May you live in interesting times.” Which is a pity, because it’s such a useful expression. Especially when one lives in interesting times.

            Abandon—or even just alienate—them and the party implodes

            Not if they’d actually been any good at that outreach or the governing they claim they’re good at. Either way they’d have been able to replace the lunatic base with something more centered.

            But modern Republicans are selfish children with no real interest in either, only in preserving their own privilege in the short term. They’re deluded idiots who think they are doing both outreach and governing well.

            They used to be different, and bettter. http://www.usnews.com/dbimages/master/23484/HP_110930_Ike_Poster.jpg

  • waspuppet

    They’re so proud of this bill that did not become law.

  • muselet

    In case you missed it: Ed Kilgore waded into Mo Brooks’s particular corner of the Righty fever swamp this afternoon. He’s not much impressed.

    –alopecia

  • Badgerite

    These guys wouldn’t know what it was like to suffer true discrimination if discrimination hit them over the head with a cantaloupe.