Minuteman Co-Founder: It’s Okay to Call for Gasing Immigrant Children

Jim Gilchrist, the co-founder of the Minuteman Project who is planning to revive the group and begin patrolling the southern border next Spring, expressed sympathy for a woman who said immigrant children should be killed in gas chambers during an interview on VCY America’s “Crosstalk” radio show.

via RightWingWatch

“We need to put them in a prison camp or a building and not give them any help, just lock them up with arms behind them, or otherwise we are going to put them in a building and gas them to death like they did in Germany, we can’t put up with this,” the caller said.

[...]

“I understand that lady’s angst and her resignation that we are no longer a nations of laws,” Gilchrist said. “She sees we are no longer a nation of laws.”

He continued: “Maybe the conduct du jour now is fight lawlessness with lawlessness, and if we are going to have a Congress and a president and a mob of illegal aliens who are going to snub their nose at the law, why can’t this lady feel the same way?”

Gilchrist insisted that the woman must have been simply using a metaphor and didn’t really want to put kids in gas chambers, but judging by the audio it sounds fairly serious.

I will also say, however, that this woman sounds genuinely terrified and if she’s really that terrified it’s probably because she’s been horribly misled by men like Jim Gilchrist who, rather than correct her, expressed support and said we may need to fight “lawlessness with lawlessness.”

There’s no excuse for calling for the death of immigrants regardless of how old, misinformed, or frightened you are, but men like Gilchrist and his ilk in the conservative entertain complex prey on low information voters and feed their anxieties.

Rather than use their status as public figures to set the record straight, they fan the flames and lead people down an ugly path. They are the real villains.

Jim Gilchrist may be coming to a border near you. What could go wrong?

This entry was posted in Immigration, Racism, Wingnuts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Victor_the_Crab

    Anyone suggesting innocent children need to be gassed is the lowest form of scum.

  • trgahan

    “…and gas them to death like they did in Germany, we can’t put up with this…”

    And I’D be the one violating Godwin’s law if I equated this grossly misinformed Rightwing bubble dweller and anyone apologizing for her with the Nazis…yeash…

    When it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck…..

  • muselet

    “She has no intention of putting anyone in prison, I think that was a metaphor.”

    A metaphor for what?

    –alopecia

    • Sabyen91

      Well, she clearly wasn’t serious about the prison thing. Jeez, how heartless do you think she is?

      Now, the gassing part. She meant it…

  • TimJ

    Hey, I heard this on Crosstalk! I replayed it three time it was so shocking. The best part was that the host said that the woman caller was a friend… A guest on Tony Perkins show yesterday said she was praying for someone to “take out” President Obama. The host, Craig James, briefly of Fox Sports and loser to Ted Cruz, didn’t bother to object. These guys have no idea of the demons they are unleashing, or they do and just don’t care.

    • Concern_Troll

      Same here! I listen to Crosstalk religiously (pun intended). The stuff that these people say—ESPECIALLY when Vic Eliason is at the helm—is batshit insane by even wingnut standards. For those who can stand it, there are some real comic gems there.

  • Brutlyhonest

    You silly liberals! Everyone knows the brown ones aren’t people ….

  • Christopher Foxx

    …but men like Gilchrist and his ilk in the conservative entertain complex prey on low information voters and feed their anxieties.

    Rather than use their status as public figures to set the record straight, they fan the flames and lead people down an ugly path.

    That assumes Gilchrist and the other public figures aren’t low information themselves. Gilchrist isn’t choosing to not set the record straight. He’s no more informed, or interested in being informed, than the “low info voters” he influences.