Outreach: Secret Border Control Agent Steve King Edition

When Iowa congressman and Secret Border Control Agent Steve King (R) was confronted by activists from the Dream Action Coalition over his comments on their calves being “the size of cantaloupe,” how did he respond?

By praising their grasp of the English language.

ANDIOLA: I mean, cantaloupe calves?

KING: That’s drug smugglers. You’re very good at English. [Grabs Andiola's arm] You know what I’m saying. So you can understand the English language. You’re saying something that’s not true. I spoke of drug smugglers… Your ears work too, I was speaking of drug smugglers only.

Actually, what King original said is that the majority of so-called DREAMers are not valedictorians but are actually drug-runners who have “calves the size of cantaloupes.”

KING: For every one who’s a valedictorian, there’s another hundred out there that weigh 130 pounds and they’ve got calves the size of cantaloupes because they’ve been hauling 75 pounds of marijuana across the desert.

And this brings us back to why I routinely refer to Steve King as a “secret border control agent.”

Several days after King made his “cantaloupes” remark in July of 2013, he elaborated and explained that he knows this because he has personally spent nights on the border watching the shadows.

KING: For the point of public information, that description comes from many days down on the border, riding and sitting with the border patrol and without them at night, no night vision, watching the shadows come across the border, picking people up personally with my hands, unloading illegal drugs out of a vehicle with a false bottom under the truck.

I mean this is a personal experience and I sit there at night and border patrol agents would come to me one at a time in their civil clothes and talk to me clandestinely and they don’t want any names, locations, or dates. They want me to know what’s going on down there. This description is the description from that kind of experience.

Alleging that the majority of DREAMers are drug smugglers is really only the tip of the Steve King shitberg.

And yet House Republican leadership handed their border bill over to him and allowed him to call the shots last week. The Republican party is the party of Steve King’s cantaloupes.

Not to let it to go unmentioned — Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) was seated directly across from Steve King when they were approached by activists Erika Andiola and Cesar Vargas, but as soon as the two of them told King that they were DREAMers, Paul immediately got up from the table and left after taking one bite of his cheeseburger.

You can see Rand son of Ron get up and leave the table, leaving his lunch behind, in the first 20 seconds of this video.

It’s not that Republicans don’t understand, it’s just that they’re racist and they don’t like you. Their excuses are a smoke-screen.

This entry was posted in Racism, Rand Paul and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • RenoRick

    Rand Paul is such a coward. King is an asshat, but at least he didn’t flee.

  • Olivia

    Are you sure that Rand Paul wasn’t running off to find law enforcement
    to arrest them? What a great campaign ad that would be…personally
    supervising the apprehension of “illegal aliens”. Rand Paul channeling
    Gomer Pyle yelling “Citizen’s array-est, citizen’s array-est”

  • muselet

    Apart from letting Steve King demonstrate yet again that he’s a revolting little man, which he does on a daily basis anyway, I don’t see what Erika Andiola and Cesar Vargas hoped to gain from this. King is very good at deflecting uncomfortable questions and redirecting a conversation back to his talking points.

    I fully expect King to use this encounter in his reelection campaign.

    According to Catherine Thompson, who wrote a story about this for TPM:

    The aide who led Paul away from the activists, Sergio Gor, told the National Journal in an email that the senator “had a media avail after the event and that’s where we had to be.”

    If that’s the case, why sit the guy down with a burger and a bottle of something mere seconds before he’s supposed to be somewhere else? That implies that nobody on his staff can figure out how to tell time. Better than having to react appropriately to Steve King’s condescension, I suppose.

    –alopecia

    • HilaryB

      His aide must not be aware that it was recorded because you can see Rand standing at the bar behind them during the first half of the conversation. Lol.

      • muselet

        That is hilarious. Good catch.

        –alopecia

  • Kitty Smith

    Jesus christ what a moronic old white fucker. Someone needs to slap the condescending out of his dumb fucking ass. Actually no, just punch him in the face until he stops.

  • bphoon

    It’s not that Republicans don’t understand, it’s just that they’re racist and they don’t like you.

    It’s not that Republicans don’t understand, it’s just that they don’t give a shit.

  • D_C_Wilson

    When did Iowa start sharing a border with Mexico?