Rand Paul Stands for Everything and for Nothing

RandStamps-JoelPett

There’s some truth to what Rand Paul told the New York Times this week about same-sex marriage and conservative red states, but once again Rand son of Ron demonstrates that he stands for everything and for nothing.

“If you tell people from Alabama, Mississippi or Georgia, ‘You know what, guys, we’ve been wrong, and we’re gonna be the pro-gay-marriage party,’ they’re either gonna stay home or — I mean, many of these people joined the Republican Party because of these social issues,” the congressman said. “So I don’t think we can completely flip.”

However, Paul said the GOP could eventually learn to “agree to disagree” and should embrace a “bigger tent” of ideals if it wants to win elections.

Which is it?

If the party is going to evolve, it apparently won’t begin with Rand. He told an audience in Iowa this week that he supports a constitutional amendment defining marriage as a union between a man and a woman, with a side bonus of misleading single parent shaming.

“I’m in favor of the concept,” the Kentucky Republican told an audience in Iowa. “I am in favor of traditional marriage, and I think that’s been the foundation for civilization for thousands of years.”

“And the loss of the idea of marriage is probably the leading cause of poverty in our country, in the sense that if you kids before you’re married, your chance of being in poverty is three of four times that of anyone else,” he continued.

Single parents are the leading cause of poverty? If you really believe that, why not embrace same-sex marriage?

Of course the fact that wages have stagnated even as productivity has skyrocketed could also be the leading factor.

Rand son of Ron opposes raising the minimum wage, by the way, because raising the minimum wage will hurt poor minorities and children, he says. What they really need is a corporate tax cut in their neighborhood. I shit you not.

The New York Times piece on Rand Paul and the supposed “libertarian moment” is filled with contradictions and empty double-speak.

(cartoon: Joel Pett)

This entry was posted in Ethics, LGBT, Rand Paul and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    “And the loss of the idea of marriage is probably the leading cause of poverty in our country[.]“

    If that’s not the single absolute stupidest thing I’ve heard any politician say in the last few decades years months weeks, I don’t know what is.

    • JMAshby

      It’s a pretty common and popular opinion on the right, particularly among the marriage purists.

      If you ask me its the last refuge when you’re either afraid of really standing for something or when you’ve run out of other ideas. And it’s distinctly libertarian in that it’s a copout or backdoor way to argue against gay marriage without really directly doing so.

      The thing is several states have tried this exact argument in court in support of their gay marriage bans and they weren’t able to actually produce evidence of it or at least not enough evidence to convince a judge.

      But then there’s Paul Clement who actually argued the exact opposite in support of DOMA.

      In short: libertarians are frauds.

      • GrafZeppelin127

        Oh, I’ve always known libertarians were frauds. I figured that out years ago when one of them proudly proclaimed to have never studied, nor even considered learning about, Constitutional Law because he considered the entire field to be illegitimate.

        Libertarians admire themselves far too much just for being libertarians, to be taken the least bit seriously.

  • muselet

    The only thing Rand Paul truly believes is that he wants to be President of the United States. If that means changing every position he’s ever taken—and peevishly lying about having held different positions before—then that’s what he’ll do.

    –alopecia