What Could Go Wrong?

The Associated Press reports that during a recent incident along the southern border, Border Patrol agents who were pulling immigrants from a canal were approached by group of seven armed militiamen who never identified themselves as such.

Agents assumed the camouflaged crew that joined in pulling the immigrants from the canal’s milky green waters was a tactical unit from the Texas Department of Public Safety. Only later did they learn that the men belonged to the Texas Militia, a group that dresses like a SWAT team and carries weapons but has no law-enforcement training or authority of any kind. [...]

“How do they identify themselves? Do they have badges? How do we know who they are?” asked J.P. Rodriguez, a spokesman for the Hidalgo County Sheriff’s Office. “If they’re all just dressed in camos, it’s kind of hard to distinguish whether they’re law enforcement or not. … There’s a lot of potential for stuff to go wrong.”

The AP reports that the situation ended without any shots fired, but what about next time? What if the next group of militiamen intend to shoot?

Apparently the Border Patrol has asked themselves the same question because following this incident they issued a memo warning agents that the militia is out there.

The Southern Poverty Law Center recently issued a report on the Texas Militia who, judging by the looks of things, are big fans of Call of Duty. They also use code names to avoid identifying themselves.

CoDMilitiaTexas

There is absolutely no good that can come from having unnamed, unidentified, and armed militiamen patrolling the border.

This entry was posted in Immigration and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Nefercat

    Oh, how they want to shoot someone. It’ll be just like Call of Duty, but with better special effects!

    They have no law enforcement training or authority of any kind? Then when are they going to be charged with impersonating law enforcement officials? Do they get a pass if they do not actually present a badge? Are people afraid to go after them?

    • JMAshby

      All good questions, but it’s Texas and their attorney general is running for Governor.

  • j hentai

    cosplay is normally quirky & oddly charming, but not in this case. morons!

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    They don’t need no stinkin’ badges!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ

  • muselet

    Loving the camo capris in the photo. They just scream “butch,” don’t they?

    –alopecia

  • Treading_Water

    Maybe it’s just me, but this seems like the exact opposite of a well regulated militia.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Sure, but where does “well regulated militia” appear in the Constitution. I’ve checked with these guys and they swear it isn’t there.

      Of if it is, it doesn’t mean what it says it means.

      And if it does, it isn’t something that has to be followed anyway.

  • waspuppet

    Nothing a few militia members shot dead by the Border Patrol wouldn’t fix.

    I’m sure conservatives would “explain” how that would be wrong while Michael Brown deserved to be shot.

  • Christopher Foxx

    “If they’re all just dressed in camos, it’s kind of hard to distinguish whether they’re law enforcement or not. … There’s a lot of potential for stuff to go wrong.”

    How about not just assuming someone in camos is a law enforcement officer? I mean, it’s not like the existence of militia groups near the border hasn’t been well publicized.

    Legitimate law enforcement should wear their badges prominently. (Kinda surprised that isn’t already the case.) Anyone without a badge is assumed to be non-legit (rather than the other way around, which is what this unit seemed to do). Anyone wearing a badge who isn’t entitled to one gets arrested on a serious charge.

  • Christopher Foxx

    They also use code names to avoid identifying themselves

    If they were so sure of the rightness of their actions they wouldn’t be ashamed of them. They are cowards who know what they are doing is wrong.

    —–

    Unrelated topic: Ashby, anything you can do to help prompt an answer to why I’ve been suddenly banned from The Daily Banter??