Why Do Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul Hate Their Constituents?

mitch-mcconnell-ap

In case you needed another reason to vote this November (there are plenty already), Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY) says congressional Republicans will shut the government down if the president doesn’t do what they tell him to.

Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY) “has a game plan to confront President Barack Obama with a stark choice next year: Accept bills reining in the administration’s policies or risk a government shutdown,” Politico reports. [...]

The emerging strategy: Attach riders to spending bills that would limit Obama policies on everything from the environment to health care, consider using an arcane budget tactic to circumvent Democratic filibusters and force the president to ‘move to the center’ if he wants to get any new legislation through Congress.”

What McConnell is saying is that he would shut the government down to repeal Obamacare while punishing his constituents in the process for no practical reason.

Given that the president clearly wouldn’t sign a bill to repeal his signature legislation, and given that residents of Kentucky depend on Obamacare and other federal programs, McConnell is essentially pledging to hurt his constituents. He’s pledging to make his constituents’ lives more difficult for purely political reasons. And the person who will ultimately suffer is not the president, it’s you the voter.

Kentucky’s Obamacare exchange, known as Kynect, is one of the law’s biggest success stories; providing coverage to hundreds of thousands of people in the state.

So, if you enjoy getting kicked in the shins — vote for McConnell. But if you are not a masochist, consider voting for Alison Lundergan Grimes.

Kentucky Senator Rand Paul has also pledged to repeal Obamacare in its entirety.

Why do Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell hate their constituents?

This entry was posted in Healthcare, Rand Paul and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    Yes, because a government shutdown has helped the Rs every time they’ve played that particular card in the past. Do it, Mitch! Shut it down! I dare you!

    And I don’t think Mitch McConnell or Rand Paul hate their constituents. I think they’re utterly indifferent to their constituents. A distinction without a difference, perhaps.

      I was being facetious. Mostly.

      • muselet

        I have a bad habit of answering rhetorical questions.

          Do you really?

  • Ashes Defacto

    Perhaps it’s because they’ve convinced their constituents that the things they’re doing that hurt them hurts “those people” in the urban centers worse. The irony being that Eastern Kentucky is one of the poorest places in the country with an economy largely dependent upon food stamps and half racks of generic soda pop.

  • http://taste-of-ipecac.blogspot.com/ Ipecac

    As we all know, the bigger question is do these constituents hate themselves? They continue to vote these asshats into office, year after year, despite them clearly and openly saying that they’ll screw over their constituents.

    • drspittle

      They hate Obama more than anything. That’s what’s driving them now.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Why do Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell hate their constituents?

    Because their constituents don’t write five-, six- and seven-figure checks to their campaigns.

  • D_C_Wilson

    I think I see the fatal flaw in McChinless’ plan: It hinges on this Congress being able to pass bills! Even if he does become majority leader and is able to circumvent demcratic filibusters, odds good that no matter what the Senate passes, it won’t be draconian enough for the teaparty lunatics that control the House. Checkmate, McChinless!

  • DetroitSam

    “Why do Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell hate their constituents?”

    Because their constituents are too dumb to think for themselves while continuing to vote against their own self-interest.

    Do you think that the people who vote for Paul and McConnell have even the vaguest idea that they are the losers and will continue to lose?