Why Do They Keep Talking About Impeachment?

Why do Democrats Republicans keep talking about impeachment?

Yesterday Rep. Bill Flores (R-TX) said that a number of House Republicans would support impeachment even if it’s not a great idea.

“If you were to ask persons and many folks in the House, has the president violated the law and will he be worthy of impeachment, I think a fair number of people would say yes,” Flores said during a telephone town hall last week, according to audio obtained by Buzzfeed.

Today Mike Huckabee said the president has clearly committed impeachable offenses.

Mike Huckabee appeared on Monday’s edition of Iowa-based Steve Deace’s radio talk show, where he said President Obama “absolutely” deserves to be impeached but cautioned that Republicans should not pursue impeachment at this time since the GOP doesn’t have the votes to convict him in the Senate.

“There’s no doubt that he has done plenty of things worthy of impeachment,” Huckabee said.

Of course if you ask me this is a misnomer because you can go back nearly four years and find rumblings of impeachment over Solyndra and Fast and Furious (both of which were spawned by Bush-era programs), but most of the talk in the beltway press has been that “both sides” are responsible for bringing up impeachment and Republicans have accused Democrats of concocting a fundraising scheme.

The truth is Republicans have been talking about impeachment at town halls, on talk radio, and at private fundraisers for years and they continue to talk about it today.

This entry was posted in Stupid Party and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • i_a_c

    Yeah, so if Republicans keep bringing up impeachment and Democrats call them out on it, it’s the fault of “both sides.” Uh-huh.

    Sure, it’s for the Democrats’ political advantage, but who cares? It’s not their fault that the whackaloons in the GOP do politically stupid stuff.

  • muselet

    Via Steve Benen, a more-or-less comprehensive list of Republicans who have called for—or at least hinted at support for—impreaching the president, going back to 2011.

    “There’s no doubt that he has done plenty of things worthy of impeachment,” Huckabee said.

    Yeah? Name three.

      Exactly. They all keep saying there’s “plenty of things” but they never name anything legitimate…at least not that I’ve heard.

  • Lady Willpower

    He said “FOLKS!” That right there is an impeachable offense these days.

  • Badgerite

    Their idea of the Rule of Law is that if they don’t have all the power, it’s against the law.
    And the ‘natural order’ of things.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Someone refresh my memory; did Republicans try to impeach, or talk about impeaching, Jimmy Carter?

    If they didn’t, it’s probably because they defeated his re-election bid so they didn’t have to.

    The reason I ask is because I’m wondering whether this is going to be a thing from now on.

    Step 1: The American People elect a Democratic President with a Democratic Congress after Republicans wreck the economy.
    Step 2: Republicans go apeshit, freak out over everything the Democratic President says, does and tries to do, as if it’s the End of Civilization.
    Step 3: Republicans ride that psychotic hatred, fear and paranoia to massive mid-term victory and take control of Congress halfway through Democratic President’s first term.
    Step 4: Democratic President wins re-election despite (2) and (3).
    Step 5: Republicans impeach second-term Democratic President for stupid, bullshit reasons, knowing they won’t get a conviction.
    Step 6: Public hates Republicans for impeaching Democratic President, but blames “both sides,” decides they’re both “just as bad,” and elect a Republican President because really, what’s the diff?

    We’re f***ed.

    • muselet

      Well, Lyndon LaRouche called for Jimmy Carter’s impeachment—what a surprise, since he’s called for the impreachment of every president since he started wearing long pants—but it doesn’t look like anybody particularly serious did. That may have been because the Richard Nixon impeachment was still fresh in everyone’s minds, plus the Rs hadn’t gone off the rails yet.

      Your Steps 1–5 seem likely, unfortunately, but I fervently hope you’re wrong about Step 6.

        Steps 1-6 already happened from 1992-2000. We’ve now repeated steps 1-4 from 2008-present. Step 5 will occur either late this year or early next year. We’ll see about Step 6 after Step 5.