You’ve Got to Be F*cking Kidding Me

steubenville

One of the teens who was convicted in the infamous Steubenville rape case is back on the goddamn football team.

Ma’Lik Richmond, one of two teens convicted in the rape of a 16-year-old girl in Steubenville, is back on the roster of the Steubenville Big Red football team.

Richmond was found delinquent of raping a 16-year-old girl in March 2013, and must register as a Tier II sex offender every 180 days for 20 years.

So there’s a registered sex-offender, a guy who raped a girl while his friends joked and filmed it, on the same football team that essentially created him. The girl was later left in the street in a puddle of her own vomit, by the way.

Given that multiple school officials were charged for obstruction of justice and tampering with evidence, among other things relating to the rape case, I find this to be unfathomable.

They’re running with scissors in Steubenville; asking for a repeat offence. Because apparently it's okay if you’re convicted of raping one of your fellow students. You can resume playing.

This is so unbelievable to me at first I thought it may be a hoax, but apparently it’s true according to multiple sources.

Remember when a CNN reporter lamented the end of their football careers? So much for that. Maybe school officials and the head coach agree with Richard Cohen that it was merely a “so-called rape.”

What a shithole of a town.

This entry was posted in Sports, WTF and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Toolymegapoopoo

    Other schools in the league need to refuse to play Steubenville…in all sports. This is a travesty and it appears that not many people in that shithole give a fuck. I hope karma is a real thing.

    • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

      That’s a great idea. I hope it catches on with the other schools in more sane towns.

      • Christopher Foxx

        Other schools in the league need to refuse to play Steubenville…in all sports.

        I like it. It would be an easy way for the other schools to say “Steubenville clearly disagrees, but WE don’t condone rape.”

        I like it, but I’m not holding my breath.

    • Tee Moore

      Well, they let NFL & NBA players stay in the league…..

  • Robert Scalzi

    Will they be changing the team name to the Stuebenville Sex Offenders as well now??

  • muselet

    When reached for comment, Jefferson County Chief Probation Officer Fred Abdalla Jr. said, “There’s no law against it that states he can’t play. There’s no OHSA rules that they’d be violating, then I think the boy should be allowed to play. Malik Richmond has done everything the court has asked him since he’s been sentenced.”

    Interim Superintendent Melinda Young says part of the current athletic policy states that any student convicted of a felony will be suspended for one calendar year.

    Clearly neither of them cares about the girls attending Steubenville High School.

    –alopecia

    • Kitty Smith

      See “everyone loves football, hates women”

      • muselet

        That pretty much sums it up, I’m afraid.

      “There’s no law against it that states he can’t play.”

      Ah, yes. The “that which is not forbidden is mandatory” excuse.

      Frequently used by morally bankrupt people who are unable to tell right from wrong unless someone else gives them a list of what isn’t allowed.

  • Kitty Smith

    Of course. Everyone loves football players. Who gives a shit about bitches anyways?

  • Ashes Defacto

    I don’t know how things worked where you went to high school. But I recall that the football team was allowed to get away with damn near anything, often at the expense of the rest of the student body. The only difference between this and events that have happened across the country is that in Stubenville they recorded what they did. Even so it took an incredible amount of effort to hold anyone accountable.

    • JMAshby

      That’s how it worked at my school too, but in this case they were actually convicted and now registered. It’s astonishing.

  • nomoremister

    I don’t know what you’re so upset about – hey, it’s not as if he smoked a joint!