Tag Archives: Civil Liberties

Moving Forward

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking in terms of the direction of this blog now that the election is over and I’ve reached some conclusions that I’d like to pass along. The GDAB “beat” has always been presidential politics … Continue reading

Posted in Site Note | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Comments Off

Liveblogging Election Day 2008 – Thread 1

12:35 Are we on? 1:21 Am I insane or is MSNBC running commercials for FOX News Channel? 1:22 On MSNBC, a Zamboni just totally crushed Hawaii and parts of southern California. I hope that’s not a bellwether of some sort.

Posted in Election 2008 | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Comments Off

GRRRR!

No sir. I don’t like it. Reaching out to evangelical voters, Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama is announcing plans that would expand President Bush’s program steering federal social service dollars to religious groups and — in a move sure to … Continue reading

Posted in Senator Barack Obama | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Comments Off

Alea Iacta Est

WASHINGTON – Wisconsin Sen. Russ Feingold will not filibuster a compromise version of an electronic surveillance program although he thinks it will infringe on U.S. citizens’ civil liberties. Feingold said he and other Senate opponents won’t try to stop the … Continue reading

Posted in Civil liberties | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Huckabee On Meet The Press

Huckabee just said: “But remember that your most single — critical job is that of preserving and protecting the American people.” He’s referencing the Presidential Oath of Office here. But the oath is about “preserving and protecting” the Constitution — … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Tagged , | Comments Off

Romney's Twisted America

Mitt Romney (via Sullivan): “Our most basic civil liberty is the right to be kept alive.” In other words, “You have no civil liberties if you are dead.” In other words, screw the Constitution — the scary evildoers are going … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off

The Bush Empire

Bush claims that during wartime he can do whatever is necessary — even breaking the law and violating civil liberties — in order to protect the nation. Some thoughts… Okay. The war on terrorism is going to be a long … Continue reading

Posted in George W. Bush | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

King George: A "uniter" at long last…

Who would’ve thunk it… Bush had the capacity to be a uniter after all. BRUCE FEIN, constitutional scholar and former deputy attorney general in the Reagan Administration: I think the answer requires at least in part considering what the occupant … Continue reading

Posted in George W. Bush | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Bush admits to breaking the law

“This authorization is a vital tool in our war against the terrorists. It is critical to saving American lives. The American people expect me to do everything in my power, under our laws and Constitution, to protect them and their … Continue reading

Posted in George W. Bush | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

The Iraqi election: In the long run…

Before we get back to discussing the current status of torture, propaganda, suppression of civil rights and liberties, the raping of the environment, and the lies of the Bush administration, I wanted to summarize some things about the election in … Continue reading

Posted in Iraq | Tagged , , , , , , | Comments Off

Kids will say the darndest things

The Knight Foundation (press release here) issued the results of a poll today regarding high school students and their views on civil liberties here. The two most scary results: -Seventy-five percent erroneously think flag burning is illegal. -More than a … Continue reading

Posted in Civil liberties | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Republicans? Civil Rights? Funny!

The Republicans are maneuvering to make themselves the party of civil rights. LA Times. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Republicans are so rarely the funny ones, but this is precious. Such cards, they are. And if it’s true, maybe Ken Mehlman and David Dreier … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Marriage banned at Connecticut church

Slowly, supporters of civil liberties in the religious community are beginning a counter-revolution in the name of freedom for all Americans. First, Sister Joan Chittister appeared on “Now with Bill Moyers” to throw down the civil liberties gauntlet and to … Continue reading

Posted in Civil liberties | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off

David Dreier: protest 'emboldens enemy'

Moments ago in the House debate on the electoral vote, Congressman David Dreier squealed that the objection to Ohio’s electoral vote emboldens the enemy while our country is at war. Thomas Jefferson’s corpse just threw up in his mouth. One … Continue reading

Posted in Elections | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Frivolous Lawsuits

Jerry Falwell: “Imagine God raising up an army of attorneys, far more than the ACLU has, to stand up for religious freedom in America. This is a positive thing. It’s an encouraging thing. Why do we always have to be … Continue reading

Posted in Civil liberties | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Poll: No liberties for Muslim-Americans

A Cornell University poll, announced today, found that nearly 50% of Americans think the government should restrict the civil liberties of Muslim-Americans. NY Newsday: The survey also found respondents who identified themselves as highly religious supported restrictions on Muslim-Americans more … Continue reading

Posted in Terrorism | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off