Tag Archives: Debt

Are You Better Off Than You Were Four Years Ago?

My Monday column answers the question posed by Mitt Romney last week with a very loud YES! In a speech filled with misleading statements and nostalgic lines about how wonderful life used to be before President Obama was inaugurated, the … Continue reading

Posted in The Daily Banter | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

Austerity Does Not Stimulate Economic Growth

The best evidence in support of Keynesian economics and against austerity continues to be Europe which, rather than investing in the economy, is freaked out about debt and has been actively cutting spending to assuage the freak out. The contraction … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , , | 8 Comments

More Republican Fiscal Contradictions and Confusion in Tampa

My Thursday column continues to dissect the Republican contradictions about the debt with a mind-boggling example: When a political party not only builds a convention theme but an entire political movement around lies, myopic slogans and total fiction, there are … Continue reading

Posted in The Daily Banter | Tagged , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

The Republicans Are Still Confused About The Debt

My Wednesday column digs into the Republicans and Bobby Jindal on the debt and government spending. As I watch the convention coverage and glance across the throng of Republican delegates, I can’t help but to think, “Ah yes. This makes … Continue reading

Posted in The Daily Banter | Tagged , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

Bobby Jindal Demands More Wealth Redistribution

As predicted, a states’ rights, small government, anti-deficit, anti-debt, anti-government spending Republican is demanding federal money that’s been redistributed from taxpayers in other states. Not only that, but when President Obama approved funds for Bobby Jindal, he demanded more money. … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , , | 10 Comments

Damn Right the President Should Blame Bush for the Recession

My Monday column is a response to Jeb Bush’s request that President Obama stop blaming George W. Bush for the economy. Yes, I get it. Among the children of Barbara and George H.W. Bush, Jeb Bush is considered the “smart … Continue reading

Posted in The Daily Banter | Tagged , , , , , , | 24 Comments

Newsweek Cover Story is Hilariously Bad

The Newsweek cover story by former McCain adviser Niall Ferguson is hilariously bad. I mean Jonah Goldberg funny. I won’t review the whole thing, but here are some choice passages. He begins with this: Yet the question confronting the country … Continue reading

Posted in Election 2012 | Tagged , , , , , , , , | 14 Comments

Paul Ryan is Very Serious About Ballooning The Deficit

The primary causes of today’s deficit and the largest contributor to the national debt continue to be Bush-era policies. Policies that Paul Ryan voted for. Paul Ryan voted for the Iraq war. He voted for Medicare Part D. He voted … Continue reading

Posted in Election 2012 | Tagged , , , , | 3 Comments

Bain Aside, Romney Trails On Nearly Every Issue

From Pew Research Center’s latest poll The significant lead Romney has over the president on reducing the federal deficit is a great example of just how bad the media coverage of the federal deficit has been. Particularly during the summer … Continue reading

Posted in Poll | Tagged , , , , | 4 Comments

This Should Be Totally Annoying to Watch

The president is evidently committed to allowing the Bush tax cuts for the super-rich to expire. Though I have no idea how he’ll preserve the tax cuts for middle and lower tax brackets. I don’t see how the Republicans will … Continue reading

Posted in Taxes | Tagged , , , , | 5 Comments

The Last Reasonable Republican

As far as conservatives go, David Frum is probably the most reasonable and rational of them all. Yes, the guy who coined the phrase “axis of evil” is now one of the only Republicans who appears to understand reality. Here … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , , , , | 9 Comments

Starving the Beast & Rove's Awful New Ad Buy

[From my Daily Banter column this week...] I promise I won’t write about every single Karl Rove Crossroads GPS anti-Obama commercial that gets wet-farted into the ear-holes of American television viewers. I’ll only write about the most awful ones. And … Continue reading

Posted in Election 2012 | Tagged , , , , , | 4 Comments

The Attack on Pensions and the End of the American Dream

My Thursday column is appropriately angry. RT and Like often! The debt and deficit are evidently making American voters more insane and more self-defeating than they usually are. Conservatives, conservative financiers, anti-Obama zealots and a ridiculously complicit press corp have … Continue reading

Posted in The Daily Banter | Tagged , , , , , | 6 Comments

A Little Something for Republicans Bitching About the Debt

This: ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE — The White House is insisting President Barack Obama will not extend the Bush-era tax cuts for wealthier Americans – even temporarily. Obama spokesman Jay Carney said the president has been clear in his opposition … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , , | 10 Comments

Starving the Beast, Karl Rove Style

The new Crossroads GPS commercial from Karl Rove could actually be worse than the previous one. From my column at The Daily Banter: I promise I won’t write about every single Karl Rove Crossroads GPS anti-Obama commercial that gets wet-farted … Continue reading

Posted in The Daily Banter | Tagged , , , | 6 Comments

If Romney Wins, He'll Pay Himself $5 Million

One of the perks of being a Republican president: Under his plan, Romney’s tax rate would fall from its current 14.7 percent to 13.1 percent, while under Obama’s tax plan, Romney would pay a 34.3 percent rate. The difference in … Continue reading

Posted in Election 2012 | Tagged , , , , | 3 Comments

Reagan the Keynesian

Paul Krugman is right on the mark with this: “If you actually look at the actual track record of government spending, government employment, Reagan is the Keynesian and Obama — mostly because of political constraints, although a little bit of … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , , , | 3 Comments

Quote of the Day

“I actually lay out a plan to get us to a balanced budget within eight years.” Mitt Romney to Mark Halperin Uh. No. Greg Sargent: The nonpartisan Tax Policy Center has taken a close look at this question. It has … Continue reading

Posted in Election 2012 | Tagged , , , , | 4 Comments

Chart of the Day

More evidence in convenient chart form that President Obama isn’t the big government spender the Republicans are claiming he is. By the way, one way to infuriate your Republican friends when they tell you they didn’t like George W. Bush’s … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , , | 20 Comments

Quote of the Day

“I simply make the point, as an editor might say, to check it out; do not buy into the BS that you hear about spending and fiscal constraint with regard to this administration. I think doing so is a sign … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , , | 7 Comments