Tag Archives: Filibuster

Doof Quote of the Day

“God, that was a dumb idea.” Mitch McConnell yesterday on the 2005 Republican effort to kill the filibuster In hindsight, it was a good idea, actually. But “killing the filibuster” is a misleading way to describe it. The filibuster should … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Republicans Are Blocking the Jobs Bill

I sincerely hope the DNC is readying the midterm commercials about this one. Brian Beutler reports: Democrats still don’t have enough votes to overcome a filibuster, and unless they can win over at least one Republican, they may adjourn this … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Bring on the Nuclear Option

The filibuster, in the modern sense, has to go. Replace it with a real filibuster in which senators who want to obstruct have to piss their pants and talk for days on end. Meanwhile, the Republicans are getting away with … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Quote of the Day

“Scott Brown Wins Mass. Race, Giving GOP 41-59 Majority in the Senate” —Village Voice headline

Posted in Quote | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

The Only Solution for 59 Votes

I don’t know if the House will pass the Senate bill as-is. The entirety of the bill can’t be passed via reconciliation (and what does get passed will be temporary and shoddy). They can finalize the compromise bill and vote … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Progressive Détente

Sargent: The two wings of the left blogosphere converging once again: FDL makes common cause with Ezra Klein to kill the filibuster. Finally. A rational channeling of the outrage — and success on this front will actually help progressives.

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Very Serious Question

Why are the Republicans against healthcare reform to the point of filibustering and stalling? They should want it to pass because, as Joe Scarborough said today, this bill is great news for Republicans.

Posted in Very Serious Question | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Loose Lips

Lieberman only opposed the Medicare buy-in after he heard Congressman Weiner praising it. And he said he was particularly troubled by the overly enthusiastic reaction to the proposal by some liberals, including Representative Anthony Weiner, Democrat of New York, who … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off

Here's an Idea

Tim F. at Balloon Juice has an interesting solution: I say pass the Liebermanized bill and let the President sign it. Then use reconciliation to get the rest. As he explains, all of the insurance regulations, which can’t be passed … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off

The Big Difference

Matt Yglesias and Ezra Klein both touched on this, but I wanted to add my two cents here. Admittedly, there were several hours last night during which I contemplated withdrawing my support for this bill. But here’s the question of … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Lieberman Wins

Flawless victory. Senate Democrats emerged from a special caucus meeting Monday night determined to pass a health-care bill by Christmas — but without the Medicare buy-in plan that liberals had sought as an alternative to a government insurance option. Unacceptable. … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

'Get it done?'

Ryan Grim reports that Rahm Emanuel personally visited Reid’s office and urged him to cut a deal with Lieberman. “Get it done,” he reportedly said. If accurate, Emanuel is wasting his time. Cut a deal on this and Lieberman will … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Joe Lieberman? Meet Joe Lieberman.

Via Ezra Klein, here’s Joe Lieberman praising the virtues of allowing people to buy into Medicare and Medicaid. Yep. This isn’t ancient history either. This video is from THREE MONTHS AGO!

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Lieberman Loves Jujyfruits

Matt Yglesias nails the “double-crossing” Lieberman: The leverage that Lieberman and other “centrists” have obtained on this issue (and on climate change) stems from a demonstrated willingness to embrace sociopathic indifference to the human cost of their actions. That’s exactly … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Harkin Revisits Nuclear Option

Years ago, Tom Harkin came up with a reasonable solution for killing the filibuster — a gradual phase out. Ironically, Lieberman was on board with the plan. The plan he announced with Lieberman 14 years ago would have slowly scaled … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Not Good Enough

New poll: More than 80 percent of Democrats say they believe Sen. Joseph Lieberman (I-Conn) should be stripped of his powerful chairmanship in the Senate if he ends up supporting a Republican filibuster of health care reform, according to a … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Manhattan Project

Here’s a wild card for passing the healthcare reform bill. But to support it, we have to choose hypocrisy to get healthcare. The nuclear option. Change the rules so only 50 votes are needed to break the filibuster. Hell, 55 … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , | Comments Off

The Gang of Dicks

Okay, so the Gang of Dicks, Presidents Joe Lieberman and Ben Nelson, won’t support the Medicare Buy-In or the public option, and Nelson wants Stupak language in there, too. So unless I’m very mistaken, there are only three options left … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , , , , , | Comments Off

Intolerable

Prepare to lose your shit. Two key senators criticized the most recent healthcare compromise Sunday, saying the policies replacing the public option are still unacceptable. Sens. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) and Ben Nelson (D-Neb.) both said a Medicare “buy-in” option for … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Bill Nelson Might Filibuster PhRMA Deal

Interesting: Sen. Bill Nelson, a Florida Democrat, said on Sunday that if leadership doesn’t work with him on his amendment that would break the White House deal with Big Pharma, he won’t be there to support the bill.v [...] Nelson … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , , | Comments Off