Conspiracy Theory

Wolverines

It’s been a couple weeks so I guess we were overdue for an Obama’s Secret Immigrant Army conspiracy theory.

The executive director of Gun Owners of America, Larry Pratt, warns us that President Obama will enlist immigrants in his secret army because they’re the only ones he can count on to be loyal.

Pratt, who once wondered if Obama will have a private army to fight in his looming race war, told a listener on the conservative radio show “Crosstalk” this week that the president will enlist immigrants in his private “Praetorian Guard.”

Bring them in from out of town, they don’t have any connectivity with the folks in the area and they’re only going to be loyal to the guy who brought him,” he explained.

At some point you realize that virtually every conspiracy theory of this nature features interchangeable actors. In this case it’s undocumented immigrants who will supposedly form the bulk of the president’s army, but this is not a new idea. Conspiracy theorists such as Alex Jones have long predicted that the president (past, present, or future) will bring U.N. troops into the country to do their bidding because they’re from out of town.

The idea that a past, present, or future president will bring in outside help for their takeover is the reason “patriot” groups like the Oathkeepers exist. They believe it’s their mission to stop it.

It’s not as if this is an even remotely realistic scenario but, you know, you can do your part to stop it by buying more guns immediately.

Suckers.

Posted in Conspiracy Theory, Immigration, Wingnuts | Tagged , | 3 Comments

Outreach

Picard and Riker Facepalm

How do you spot a campaign tracker (someone watching for gaffes) if they don’t wear name tags?

According to the staff of California Republican congressional candidate Carl DeMaio, you should be on the look out for young black people who talk to you.

Specifically, the campaign manager, Tommy Knepper, said in an email exchange on April 19 obtained by The Washington Examiner, that possible trackers could be spotted if they’re young, African American, young and at a Saturday morning event, or very talkative to staffers.

[...]

1. Young-red flag
2. black-red flag
3. young at saturday morning event-HUGE red flag
4. Very curious and want to talk to staff a a lot-red flag

To put it another way, if a black person attends your weekend campaign event and asks questions about the campaign, that would be a triple “red flag” as a possible tracker. If they’re young and black and they ask questions at your weekend event, they’re almost certainly a tracker.

I just don’t think treating people of color or young people in general as suspicious because they’re at your campaign event is such a good idea if you want them to vote for you.

If you’re so afraid of people who ask a lot of questions, maybe you should come up with better answers.

Posted in Epic Fail | Tagged , , | 3 Comments

No, You!

GohmertFox
The voices in Louie Gohmert’s head have been whispering to him again.

During a radio interview with Glenn Beck, Louie said the nurses who’ve been infected with Ebola are emblematic of the Democrats’ War on Women.

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) said during a radio interview that Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Tom Frieden is “the new commander of the Democrats’ war on women nurses.”

“Because they set them up and then they throw them under the bus,” the conservative lawmaker added.

If anyone has thrown nurses under the bus, it’s administrators at the Dallas Presbyterian Hospital (a for-profit hospital) who reportedly rejected requests from nurses to place Thomas Eric Duncan in isolation.

Hospital management sent Duncan home from the ER, and when he returned the nurses who cared for him weren’t provided proper protective gear for several days.

You don’t even have to mention the fact that Republicans have been the driving force behind cuts to the CDC and NIH to clearly demonstrate the Louie Gohmert, a sitting congressman, has no idea what he’s talking about.

The accusation that this is part of a Democratic “war on women” is projection.

Posted in War On Women, Wingnuts | Tagged , , | 5 Comments

Download This Week’s After Party Podcast! $2 per Download!

bcsap_superfriend

NEW! Download this week’s show via our new Band Camp page. No subscription necessary. Only $2 per download! Major credit and debit cards accepted.

If you’re already a member, go on in.

This Week’s Pulse-Pounding Episode: “Suckerpunch Truth Bludgeon”: The Greaseman; Ted Nugent’s Illiterate Assassination Threat; SPOILERS: We Review David Fincher’s Gone Girl; SPOILERS: We Review Robert Downey Jr in The Judge; SPOILERS: We Review Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Late); Marvel versus DC Comics; The Forthcoming Slate of Justice League Movies; Zack Snyder; The Superfriends; and much more.

Posted in Bob and Chez Show | Tagged | 2 Comments

The Bubble Genius Bob & Chez Show 10/16/14

bcs_robosnowden

RELM_buttonRobo-Snowden: Shep Smith’s Fantastic Ebola Monologue; News Media Continues its Irresponsible Ebola Hype; Chuck Todd and the Kentucky Senate Race; Rick Scott Freaks Out Over Charlie Crist’s Fan; The New Foo Fighters Documentary; Glenn Greenwald’s Nothing To Hide Challenge; The New Snowden Documentary; Snowden On A Stick; and much more. Brought to you by Bubble Genius, the BobCesca.com Amazon Link and The Bowen Law Group.

Bubble Genius

There’s more political banter in the Bob & Chez Show After Party. If you’re not a member, download individual After Party podcasts for $2 each via our Band Camp page.

Download the mp3 (55 minutes, 23mb)
RSS Feed
Bob & Chez Show Archive

728 x 90 BANDC Banner

Posted in Bob and Chez Show | 2 Comments

The Bubble Genius Bob & Chez Show 10/9/14

bcs_end_times

RELM_buttonEnd Times: Big Announcement on Bob’s YouTube Copyright Fracas with Sarah Palin; Ebola and The End Times; Drudge Report Has Gone Full Apocalypse; Cable News is Disgraceful; Dr. Oz is Inciting Panic; Sam Harris and Bill Maher Versus the World; Greenwald Trolls; and much more. Brought to you by Bubble Genius, the BobCesca.com Amazon Link and The Bowen Law Group.

Bubble Genius

There’s more political banter in the Bob & Chez Show After Party. If you’re not a member, download individual After Party podcasts for $2 each via our Band Camp page.

Download the mp3 (54 minutes, 23mb)
RSS Feed
Bob & Chez Show Archive

728 x 90 BANDC Banner

Posted in Bob and Chez Show | 6 Comments

Isolation

Isolation Room

Artist – Adam Zyglis

In other news, jobless claims dipped to a 14-year low during the week ending October 11th.

Meanwhile, the Environmental Protection Agency has announced $43 million in environmental projects for Native American tribes who are unable to cope with drought in the southwest.

Posted in Jobs, Open Thread | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Is This Peak Fearmonger?

johnson_pageheader

Peak Fearmongering may be a myth, but I’d say this comes close to being the real deal.

Wisconsin Senator Ron Johnson (R) told NewsmaxTV that it’s a “real and present danger” that ISIS terrorists may intentionally infect themselves with Ebola and then travel to American as viral suicide bombers.

“Well, it’s certainly something I’ve been thinking about ever since this Ebola outbreak started,” Johnson said. “You really don’t even want to think about. You don’t even really want to talk about, but we should do everything possible to defend ourselves against that possibility because I think that is a real and present danger.”

When the Ebola outbreak began in Africa, I imagine the average person thought to themselves “I hope it doesn’t kill too many people” or “I hope it doesn’t spread.”

Ron Johnson’s first thought was “I hope ISIS doesn’t infect themselves on purpose and bring it here.”

We can treat Ebola but there’s no cure for what afflicts Ron Johnson.

Bonus:

Posted in Terrorism, Wingnuts | Tagged , , | 8 Comments

Remember The Anti-Gay Alamo

Alamo

If we don’t stop the “LGBT assault” in its tracks right now, Santa Anna is going to blow through Houston like a Hurricane according to Georgia GOP House candidate Jody Hice.

Pastors in the Houston area have been subpoenaed for records of their sermons related to their failure to gather enough valid signatures to repeal a non-discrimination ordinance. The Religious Right, meanwhile, alleges that it’s a witch hunt being carried out by a gay mayor.

Jody Hice, for his part, says Houston is “the new Alamo” where straights will face off against the horde of marauding gays in a final confrontation.

via RightWingWatch

[The] Religious Right has turned the incident into a cause celebre, and Hice is on board, declaring on his radio program that the Houston incident is “the new Alamo” for anti-gay activists.

“This is the battleground now over traditional family,” he said. “And what is going to occur over this development is that we are either going to see this in Houston, Texas, be the beginning of the end of the LGBT assault, if you will, on freedom to practice religion and of traditional family values being rightfully defended, or this is going to be a huge step toward the ultimate collapse of religious liberty in America.”

It’s not clear if Jody Hice understands that the Alamo ultimately fell to the enemy.

Also not clear: if he understands that the Alamo is located in San Antonio.

Jody Hice will probably be a member of Congress come January.

Posted in Georgia, Religion, Wingnuts | Tagged , , | 5 Comments

Florida Governor Rick Scott is an Embarrassment

In case you missed it, this has be seen to be believed.

Florida Governor Rick Scott refused to take the stage at the gubernatorial debate last night because Charlie Crist had a small fan under his podium.

The real awkwardness begins around 50 seconds into the above video. The crowd in attendance broke out into laughter and then boos after the debate moderators announced that Governor Scott would not participate in the debate because of the small fan under Crist’s podium.

Rick Scott eventually took the stage several minutes later.

I can’t recall a more embarrassing debate moment this side of “oops” or “please proceed.”

Posted in Epic Fail, Rick Scott | Tagged | 8 Comments

DOCTOR Rand Paul Doesn’t Know Shit About Shit

Dr. Rand Paul has no idea what he is talking about.

If that were true, we would see many more infected people here in the U.S.

Thomas Eric Duncan, the Dallas man who died from Ebola, was in close proximity to over 100 people before his death and so far only two nurses who treated him without protective gear have been infected.

Duncan reportedly spent hours in a hospital waiting room in close proximity to dozens of other people and so far none of them have become ill. Duncan also spent time close to his family but none of them have become ill either. He also spent time in close proximity to other passengers on his flight into the US.

Unless your cocktail party is actually a secret orgy, I think you’re safe.

And while we’re on the subject of Rand son of Ron, he’d really like the first lady to know that he’s eating donuts. Because he’s a rebel like that.

Posted in Rand Paul, Super Stupid | Tagged | 16 Comments

Serious Risk

Health Risk

Artist – Rob Rogers

In other news, a study conducted by the University of Delaware found that white people are more supportive of voter ID laws if they’re shown pictures of black people voting.

Meanwhile, infamous end-times lunatic and conspiracy theorist Glenn Beck will accompany Washington football team owner Dan Snyder in the owner’s booth this weekend, because Dan Snyder is terrible.

Posted in Glenn Beck, Open Thread, Racism | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Out of Control Spending

The federal budget deficit has decreased to it’s lowest level since 2007 thanks primarily to economic growth. Furthermore, the federal government also posted a larger surplus, beating most estimates.

via Bloomberg

Treasury Secretary Jacob J. Lew said the fiscal improvement is partly tied to stronger growth, as the nation’s unemployment rate dropped to 5.9 percent in September from 7.2 percent a year earlier. Still, the deficit is forecast by the Congressional Budget Office to start widening again as an aging population prompts more spending on Social Security and health care. [...]

Last month the government posted a $105.8 billion surplus, compared with a $75.1 billion surplus September 2013, today’s figures showed. The median estimate in a Bloomberg survey of 23 economists was for a surplus last month of $90 billion, with estimates ranging from $53 billion to $106 billion.

While I’m sure the Congressional Budget Office, I have to say I’m increasingly skeptical of predictions that we will face Deficit Doom in the near future.

The fact that the economy has drastically turned around under a Democratic president is not reflected in polling, as you might have guessed, because Americans are pretty dumb.

You have to be ignorant to place more trust in the Republican party’s handling of the deficit given that they produced the record setting deficits of yesteryear; given that their policies would explode the deficit all over again.

Posted in Economy | Tagged , | 6 Comments

We’re Still Learning How Terrible the Bush Admin Was

The New York Times has an enlightening article on the plight of American service members who uncovered old, decaying chemical weapons in Iraq who were systematically marginalized and even denied treatment.

I recommend reading the entire piece, but here’s the gist:

From 2004 to 2011, American and American-trained Iraqi troops repeatedly encountered, and on at least six occasions were wounded by, chemical weapons remaining from years earlier in Saddam Hussein’s rule. [...]

The American government withheld word about its discoveries even from troops it sent into harm’s way and from military doctors. The government’s secrecy, victims and participants said, prevented troops in some of the war’s most dangerous jobs from receiving proper medical care and official recognition of their wounds.

“I felt more like a guinea pig than a wounded soldier,” said a former Army sergeant who suffered mustard burns in 2007 and was denied hospital treatment and medical evacuation to the United States despite requests from his commander. [...]

Congress, too, was only partly informed, while troops and officers were instructed to be silent or give deceptive accounts of what they had found. “ ’Nothing of significance’ is what I was ordered to say,” said Jarrod Lampier, a recently retired Army major who was present for the largest chemical weapons discovery of the war: more than 2,400 nerve-agent rockets unearthed in 2006 at a former Republican Guard compound.

According to interviews and information obtained under the Freedom of Information Act by the Times, military personnel discovered at least 5,000 chemical warheads, shells and other munitions.

To be clear, these are not the Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMDs) the invasion was based on. According to the Times, these weapons were manufactured prior to Operation Desert Storm in 1991 during Iraq’s war with Iran. Furthermore, these weapons were manufactured with our help.

In five of six incidents in which troops were wounded by chemical agents, the munitions appeared to have been designed in the United States, manufactured in Europe and filled in chemical agent production lines built in Iraq by Western companies.

I don’t know if blindly sending men into the field to recover chemical weapons and then concealing their existence is evidence of a cover up or incompetence, or both, but it is entirely characteristic of the Bush administration doctrine of flying by the seat of your pants.

The timeline provided by the New York Times goes beyond the Bush administration (2004) into the early years of Obama administration (2011) and I get the impression that the full extent of the legacy of poor treatment of veterans left behind by the Bush administration (and exacerbated by austerity) is beyond the scope of what we currently know.

We deployed men and women to a war zone, and in some cases to chemical weapon dumps, without body armor or protective gear, and when they returned home they were greeted with bumper sticker ribbons and little else.

“Support the troops” my ass.

This story seems prescient given the GOP’s recent hardon for redeploying ground combat troops to Iraq which would undoubtedly reignite the quagmire that President Obama ended.

Posted in George W. Bush, Iraq | Tagged , | 7 Comments

Bring Your Guns

A Republican state representative in Ohio is forgoing the backyard barbeque and holding a “machine gun social” instead.

“This is a nice event,” state Rep. Ron Maag (R-OH) told the Cincinnati Enquirer for an article published on Tuesday. Scheduled for Oct. 23 at a nature center, his fundraiser will let people as young as teenagers shoot machine guns with the presence of an instructor, the paper reported. [...]

“People need to understand. There’s doctors, there’s lawyers, there’s businessmen and women, there were judges, there were superintendents of schools,” he said.

It doesn’t actually make me feel better to know that doctors, lawyers, judges, and school superintendents will be at the event. It only makes me question their impartiality, competence and sanity.

Posted in Gun Fetishists | Tagged , , | 4 Comments

Rick Santorum is Preparing to Run for President, He Says

Santorum

Former Republican presidential candidate and second place finisher Rick Santorum tells RealClearPolitics that he’s preparing to run for president again.

“I’m doing everything right now as if I’m running,” he said. “So we’re moving forward and trying to line up supporters — both grassroots and donors. We’re talking to folks who might be interested after the [midterm] election to come and help the team, so we’re starting to put the pieces together, but we’re not going to make the final decision until 2015.”

Santorum says he’s preparing for another run because, historically, candidates who finished in second place in previous elections fared better in the next election.

I’m not so sure that will be the case for Santorum because the social landscape has changed dramatically in just the last two years, with same-sex marriage expanding to more than half the country.

On the other hand, Santorum may view this as his moment and opportunity to run against it, but he’ll have to compete with Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) who has wasted no time in calling for a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage. In either case, it seems inevitable that the Republican candidate in 2016 will be solidly anti-gay.

But what a joy it would be if Santorum, a man who brought us classics like “blah people,” does run again.

Also this:

Posted in Election 2016 | Tagged | 11 Comments

Mitch McConnell Continues to Slither Under the Radar: Repeal Obamacare — Except for Kentucky

Regardless of whether the Republicans win enough seats for a majority in the U.S. Senate, there’s a very real possibility that Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) will be defeated by Democratic challenger Alison Lundergan Grimes. But if the traditional news media continues to miss one of the most damning stories on McConnell, it could swing the election away from Grimes and back into the Republican win column.

The other night, the candidates squared off in a televised debate, and the news media takeaway the played directly in McConnell’s favor: Grimes continues to sidestep questions about whether she voted for President Obama and, as Tommy Christopher pointed out, her question-dodging prompted NBC News’s Chuck Todd to outrageously suggest that by refusing to answer the question Grimes has “disqualified herself.” This is somehow the big national story: Grimes’s choice for president, and why she refuses to discuss her votes. Again, we’re not talking about legislative votes or even decisions she’s made as Kentucky’s Secretary of State — her choices in the voting booth.

Between this and the wall-to-wall Ebola hysteria, the traditional news media has attained full clown-show status. Chuck Todd might as well be wearing giant red shoes, squirting Joe Scarborough will a seltzer bottle, while a chimp on roller skates flogs Willie Geist with a cartoon-sized Wiffle bat.

What’s been almost entirely overlooked out of Kentucky, regardless of the cable news venue, is an issue that speaks directly to the rotting core of the Republican Party. McConnell keeps insisting that he will help to repeal the Affordable Care Act, aka. “Obamacare,” even though a plurality of Kentuckians love the ACA insurance marketplace there, known as “Kynect.” On top of that, 60 percent of Kentuckians support the expansion of Medicaid, as authorized by the ACA. By the way, that 60 percent? I should clarify: it’s 60 percent of Kentucky Republicans. Kentucky Republicans by a supermajority margin support the expansion of Medicaid per the dreaded Obamacare law. Support rises to 79 percent among all Kentuckians.

Yet Mitch McConnell wants to repeal the law. Sort of?… CONTINUE READING

Posted in The Daily Banter | 2 Comments

Morning Awesome

Nicola Conte – “Kind of Sunshine”

Posted in Morning Awesome, Music | Tagged | Leave a comment

Diagnosis

Diagnosis

Artist – David Horsey

In other news, Texas Attorney General and gubernatorial candidate Gregg Abbot says it doesn’t matter if same-sex marriage will “produce societal benefits.” Even if it does, he argues, it is the job of the state to promote having children.

I must have missed the part in the constitution that says the state should promote heterosexual marriage in the interests of reproduction.

This man will be worse then Rick Perry.

Meanwhile, Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker says the minimum wage is pointless because, obviously, the wage fairy will swoop down and give people high-paying jobs if the government would just get out of the way. It’s what Free Market Jesus intended.

It’s a nice bedtime story.

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged , , , , , , | 5 Comments

Scott Brown Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop ISIS-Ebola-Border Fearmongering

Former Senator Scott Brown continues to shit himself over the thought of Ebola-carrying terrorist criminal persons crossing our southern border with Mexico.

When asked if we should place restrictions on traveling to or from West Africa, Brown went much further than he was prompted to go and tied the question into border security.

At 0:25

BROWN: I think it’s all connected. For example, we have people coming into our country by legal means bringing in diseases and other potential challenges. Yet we have a border that’s so porous that anyone can walk across it. I think it’s naive to think that people aren’t going to be walking through here who have those types of diseases and/or other types of intent, criminal or terrorist. And yet we do nothing to secure our border. It’s dangerous. And that’s the difference. I voted to secure it. Senator Shaheen has not.

It continues to amaze me that Brown has chosen to make border security the centerpiece of his campaign in New Hampshire which is 2,000 miles away from the southern border.

And make no mistake, this is a campaign with racial undertones that is focused on the southern border with Mexico rather than the border New Hampshire shares with Canada. That is not a coincidence. There have been no documented cases of immigrants or other undocumented persons walking across the border with Ebola or with the intent of committing terrorism. Furthermore, there have been no documented cases of Ebola in Mexico.

Even if it were a possibility, are we suppose to accept the idea of someone infected with Ebola making the perilous journey across the border on foot? Does that make any sense?

Whether prompted to or not, Scott Brown has taken questions about ISIS and Ebola and turned them into a border security issue at a time when our border is more secure than it has ever been.

The irony is that a scenario in which an American infected with Ebola crosses into Mexico is more plausible.

Posted in Terrorism, Wingnuts | Tagged , , | 8 Comments