Outreach

Fox & Friends host Brian Kilmeade just can’t wrap his head around the idea that you can dial 911 for emergency assistance even if you’re an undocumented brown person.

via Media Matters

On July 23, Fox & Friends centered a discussion on how undocumented immigrants in Brooks County, Texas are “bombarding” the police department with 911 calls. [...] Kilmeade suggested Brooks County emergency response services might be strained because, “not only are they understaffed and lacking resources, now they’ve got to deal with illegal immigrants who have no business being here.” [...]

Kilmeade asked the deputy, “So those calls, you have to respond to, even though for the most part, when you get there you realize, they’re not even American citizens?

Kilmeade began his interview with the Brooks County chief deputy by playing a 911 call from an immigrant desperate for help because his cousin was “turning blue.”

Imagine the dismay of emergency responders when they arrived and found that the man who was turning blue was not even an American citizen. Shock! Horror!

Kilmeade would certainly be dismayed. He may even pause for a moment and consider letting the blue person die because they “have no business being here” anyway. They’re just “learning the hard way” that there’s a “deadly cost to crossing the border” he says.

I wonder what the reaction would be if a white American became stranded across the border in Mexico and local authorities refused to help them because they aren’t citizens.

Posted in Immigration, WTF | Tagged , , | 5 Comments

Man Suing President for Using Executive Power Wishes He Would Use More Executive Power

Picard and Riker Facepalm

It’s still not entirely clear how or if House Republicans will deal with the influx of undocumented children across the southern border, and if they don’t act before the August recces one or more federal agencies tasked with managing the situation could begin running out of money.

Speaker of the House John Boehner, for his part, hopes that Congress will do something (is he not in charge?) but he says things would be easier if President Obama would use his authority to deal with it personally.

“I’d like to act. We’ve got a humanitarian crisis on the border that has to be dealt with,” House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) told reporters Wednesday. “The president clearly isn’t going to deal with it on his own, even though he has the authority to deal with it on his own. But I do believe that Congress should act, and I hope that we will.”

He has the authority to deal with it on his own?

It seems like it was just a couple weeks ago when John Boehner unveiled his lawsuit against the president for signing executive orders.

Posted in Immigration, Stupid Party | Tagged , , | 5 Comments

Secret Border Control Agent Steve King Can’t Say Where President Obama Was Born

SteveKing-wide

Secret border control agent, Iowa congressman, and “man trying to forget what he buried in that cornfield” Steve King (R) says President Obama doesn’t appreciate the Star Spangled Banner the way you and I do because he may not be from around these parts.

“His vision of America isn’t like our vision of America. That we know,” King said about Obama at an immigration rally in Council Bluffs, Iowa, according to Buzzfeed.

Now I don’t assert where he was born, I will just tell you that we are all certain that he was not raised with an American experience,” King continued. “So these things that beat in our hearts when we hear the National Anthem and when we say the Pledge of Allegiance doesn’t beat the same for him.

It makes sense that someone who doesn’t appreciate the national anthem or pledge of alliance would volunteer to lead an ungrateful nation, doesn’t it? Maybe his apparent love for his country is actually part of a delicate ruse. Maybe his willingness to compromise and work to improve the lives of those who voted against him and hate him is only a stepping stone toward usurping all power.

Maybe his willingness to endure unprecedented obstruction, racism, unrelenting conspiracy theories, and a self-interested, bumbling press corps every single day is his own way of demonstrating that he doesn’t appreciate his position as commander in chief.

If he’s willing to suffer the likes of Steve King on his way toward destroying the nation he’s clearly more patient than I am. If I was an all-scheming tyrant I probably would have disappeared him by now or, at the very least, taped a kick-me sign to his back.

Posted in Birthers, Wingnuts | Tagged , | 12 Comments

Minuteman Militia Planning “Operation Normandy” to Deploy 3,500 Men to Stop Border “Invasion”

minuteman_project

It’s becoming increasingly difficult to keep track of the far-right’s bellicosity in the face of refugee children entering the United States. Not a day goes by without Sean Hannity, Gov. Rick Perry (R-TX), Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX), Bill O’Reilly or various screeching mobs composed of townspeople from The Simpsons brandishing torches, pitchforks and AR-15s in reaction to the over-hyped immigration issue. Speaking of Gohmert, this week he suggested that President Obama is allowing women to be raped by “illegal aliens.”

And they’ve committed at least 7,695 sexual assaults. You want to talk about a war on women? This administration will not defend the women of America from criminal aliens! By the thousands, and hundreds of thousands! Well, we know thousands, and we know people are coming in by the hundreds of thousands illegally. And this administration wants to talk about other people having a war on women when they will not defend the women that are being sexually assaulted by illegal aliens in this country!

Maybe Gohmert got his facts mixed up (shocker!) because the latest reports from the Southern border indicate that migrant women and children are the ones who are being sexually assaulted inside the U.S. An alleged 116 cases of sexual assault against children, some as young as five-years-old, by U.S. border patrol agents have been reported. One study indicated that nearly half of all female migrant workers are sexually assaulted or abused while working at farms across the Midwest.

Despite the reality of what’s really happening along the border, the saber-rattling continues in the face of the infant horde. Yesterday, the infamous Minuteman militia announced that it’s raising an army that will include 3,500 volunteers to “stop an invasion” and to secure the U.S.-Mexico border. The militia’s co-founder, Jim Gilchrist, appears to be taking his tone-deaf cues from Bill O’Reilly and Charles Krauthammer who suggested the construction of another Berlin Wall. It turns out the Minuteman Project’s wartime cosplay event is called “Operation Normandy.” From the official Operation Normandy website:

If you are familiar with the Normandy invasion of France in 1944, then you have an idea how large and logistically complicated this event will be. However, there is one difference. We are not going to the border to invade anyone. We are going there to stop an invasion.

Yes, Normandy. The operation was deliberately named after Normandy… CONTINUE READING

(ht Attorney Jason Kalafat)
Posted in Immigration, The Daily Banter | Leave a comment

Morning Awesome

Madonna – “Ray of Light”

Posted in Morning Awesome, Music | Tagged | 1 Comment

Perry Security

PerryAlamo

Artist – Dave Granlund

In other news, the co-founder of the virulently anti-immigrant Minuteman Project has announced that he will organize a revival of the group next spring.

What could go wrong?

Meanwhile, McDonald’s has fired the mother who was arrested for allowing her daughter to play in a nearby park while she was at work. If she couldn’t afford daycare before, she certainly won’t be able to after getting fired. Fuck you McDonald’s.

Posted in Immigration, Open Thread, Rick Perry | Tagged , , , | 3 Comments

Rand Paul Opens Mouth, Reveals He’s Clueless

Over the weekend the Obamas said that they would like to see their daughters work minimum wage jobs so that they would understand “what most folks go through every single day.”

That seems reasonable to most people, but Rand Paul is not a reasonable person. He’s a clueless and contrarian person.

“The minimum wage is a temporary” thing, Paul said. “It’s a chance to get started. I see my son come home with his tips. And he’s got cash in his hand and he’s proud of himself. I don’t want him to stop there. But he’s working and he’s understanding the value of work. We shouldn’t disparage that.”

The unfortunate truth is minimum wage jobs are not temporary for far too many people and they are increasingly occupied by older individuals rather than teenagers. And the Obamas did not say that their daughters should stop there, only that they need an opportunity to see “what it’s like to do that real hard work.”

I have no doubt that it’s a temporary thing for William, son of Rand, and that is reflected in Rand’s opposition to raising the minimum wage.

The president and first lady want their daughters to experience what the less fortunate go through every day so that they will understand why the less fortunate need their help.

Posted in Ethics, President Obama, Rand Paul | Tagged | 6 Comments

Idiot Quote of the Day

Cruz

Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) was the first congressman out of the gate this morning with a reaction to the DC Circuit’s ruling striking down subsidies for the federal health insurance exchange — a ruling which will almost certainly be overturned — and he hit every branch on his way down the Stupid Tree.

CRUZ: “The D.C. Circuit’s decision today in Halbig v. Burwell is a repudiation of Obamacare and all the lawlessness that has come with it. The Obama Administration, through the Internal Revenue Service, has attempted to dispense revenues to the states without proper congressional authorization, robbing Congress of its constitutionally-provided power of the purse. This decision restores power to Congress and to the people and if properly enforced, should shield citizens from Obamacare’s insidious penalties, mandates, and subsidies. This is a significant victory for the American people and the rule of law, but we must not rest. Americans will continue to lose jobs, pay higher premiums, and receive fewer healthcare choices because of this disastrous law. Every last word of Obamacare must be repealed to restore jobs, growth, and opportunity in our country.”

The idea that Congress had no intention of providing subsidies to the federal exchange is, in a word, preposterous. And yet that was the reasoning two Republican judges on the D.C. Circuit Court used in their ruling today. A ruling that was contradicted just two hours later by the 4th Circuit.

The ruling has nothing to do with ‘insidious penalties and mandates,’ but if enforced it would certainly lead to higher premiums.

Is that what Ted Cruz wants? Higher premiums? Based on this statement we can infer that Ted Cruz thinks higher premiums are a bad thing, but it’s also clear that he believes today’s ruling is a great victory for opponents of affordable healthcare. Cruz has contradicted himself within a single paragraph.

By all means, Ted Cruz should continue to campaign against repealing “every last word of Obamacare,” including the words that provide Medicaid to millions of people, keep children on their parents’ plans, and end pre-existing conditions.

Campaign on that and see how far it gets you in the general election.

Posted in Healthcare, Quote, Stupid Party, Super Stupid | Tagged , , | 8 Comments

Senator Ron Johnson’s Lawsuit Against His Own Staffers Thrown Out, Paul Clement Fails Again

johnson_pageheader

Wisconsin Senator Ron Johnson (R) filed a lawsuit against the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) in January of this year, challenging the rule that allows congressional staffers (including Johnson’s staffers) to receive subsides when enrolling in Obamacare.

His lawsuit has been thrown out of court because neither he nor his staffers were personally “injured” by the rule.

The judge dismissed three complains from Johnson — that the senator was burdened by having to determine who qualifies as “official staff,” that the rule hurt his reputation with voters for accepting unwarranted benefits and that it violates his constitutional right to equal protection by treating him differently than other federal employees.

The judge found the injury to Johnson’s reputation unconvincing and said the senator cannot claim injury under the Equal Protection Clause.

Johnson said he will have his staff review the ruling to determine if he should file an appeal.

That would be the same staff he is actively trying to deny subsidies to.

Given that the Plaintiffs receive, at worst, a benefit, they cannot claim to be injured under an equal protection theory,” [Judge William Griesbach] said.

Common sense prevailed in this case.

In other cases? Not so much.

I would be remiss not to add that Ron Johnson was represented in this case by former Solicitor General Paul Clement, and if you’re a regular reader here you’re probably familiar with Clement’s documented failures.

Clement represented House Republicans in their case to uphold the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). He also represented the National Federation of Independent Businesses (NFIB) in the case against the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare). And he represented Arizona in the case against the state’s “Papers Please” anti-immigration law SB1070.

Clement is currently representing Seattle-area businesses in their case against the city’s $15-per-hour minimum wage ordinance.

As long as they keep hiring him, they’ll keep losing.

Posted in Congress, Healthcare | Tagged , , , | 8 Comments

45 Years After Apollo 11: Debunking the Top 11 Moon Landing Conspiracy Theories

Rasmussen released the results of a poll on Monday showing that 23 percent of Americans believe President Obama wasn’t born in the United States. By itself, that number isn’t too shocking. But when you add the percentage of people who “aren’t sure” whether the president was born here, the total climbs up to a disturbing 40 percent. Come to think of it, those numbers aren’t disturbing, they’re perverse.

In an age when information is so readily available, you’d think that ease-of-access to a universe of facts would breed a more informed, less gullible and, let’s face it, less stupid public. Nope, it hasn’t really worked out like that. The internet appears to have merely served as a bottomless cup of confirmation bias in support of all varieties of ridiculous conspiracy theories, from the existence of testosterone-sapping juice boxes to weather weapons to chemtrails to, yes, spritzing vinegar on chemtrails to make them vanish. In fairness, it’s not just the internet, by the way. Formerly respectable networks like Discovery and History Channel are now the homes to popular shows about bigfoot and ghost hunting.

One of the many conspiracy theories that’s flourished online is the alleged staging of the Apollo 11 Moon-landing inside a Hollywood studio. Simply put, the over-arching conspiracy theory suggests that instead of going to the Moon, the U.S. government hired a Hollywood director to stage the entire thing right here on Earth where NASA would pass it off to the American public as a legitimate achievement.

The whole thing from top to bottom is a great big pile of horseshit.

So, in honor of the 45th anniversary of the stupendous Apollo 11 mission, which, yes, actually delivered two astronauts, Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong, to the surface of the Moon (Michael Collins manned the orbiting command module), then returned them safely to Earth, let’s debunk the top 10 theories that claim to prove the landing was a hoax.

1) President Nixon was behind the hoax.

It’s easy to make Nixon the villain in any scenario because Nixon, in general, was a villain. Yes, he was president during all of the Apollo missions that landed on the Moon. But the Apollo missions begin when he was elected nor did the program end because Nixon left office in disgrace — there simply wasn’t enough congressional support to continue funding it.

2) The American flag appears to flutter in the breeze, but there’s no breeze on the Moon.

This one might be the dumbest of the litter. The only time the flag moves is when Armstrong and Aldrin are planting it on the surface. The top seam of the flag contained an aluminum rod that was designed keep the flag permanently taut, so when the flag was being set up, the aluminum rod moved with the motion of the astronauts adjusting the flag pole. With very little gravity on the Moon, the movement of flag continues briefly after the pole is planted. Additionally, the poor quality of some of the film and video footage gives the illusion of movement due to distortion and interlacing.

3) There isn’t a starfield in the photos from the surface.

You know how we’d know for sure the Moon landing was staged? If there were stars in the photos. This would prove that the stars were artificially created in a studio, bright enough to match the brightness of the Moon’s surface as it reflected the harsh daylight. In order to capture detailed photos in such bright sunlight, the astronauts used an extremely fast shutter speed… CONTINUE READING

(ht Washington DC DUI Lawyer Shawn Sukumar)
Posted in Space, The Daily Banter | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Morning Awesome

Norman Greenbaum – “Spirit in the Sky”

Posted in Morning Awesome, Music | Tagged | Leave a comment

Do Nothing Congress

Keep Out

Artist – Rob Rogers

The Houston Chronicle has an excellent article on how immigrant children actually travel to the United States and all that the process entails.

Meanwhile, border sheriffs are less-than-impressed by Texas Governor Rick Perry’s order to send 1,000 national guard troops to the border to essentially do nothing.

“At this time, a lot of people do things for political reasons. I don’t know that it helps,” said Cameron County Sheriff Omar Lucio. [...]

“I don’t know what good they can do,” Lucio said of military personnel. “I need people who I can hire who know the community, the language and who can help.”

Hidalgo County Sheriff Eddie Guerra also told the McAllen Monitor that the Guard troops can’t make arrests and he didn’t know what their objective would be.

Perry appeared alongside Attorney General Greg Abbott to make the announcement. Abbot is running for governor.

Photo op.

Posted in Immigration, Open Thread, Rick Perry | Tagged , , | 2 Comments

Report: 20 Million Insured Under Obamacare

According to the New England Journal of Medicine, 20 million additional people have been covered by Obamacare.

They reached the 20 million total this way: 1 million adults under age 26 enrolled in their parents’ plan; 8 million enrolled in private coverage through the insurance marketplaces; 5 million enrolled in private coverage directly through their insurer; 6 million enrolled in Medicaid.

That number would be quite higher if every state was required to expand Medicaid.

Nearly 6 million people are currently being denied coverage by their governors and state legislatures who refuse to expand Medicaid.

As we all know, there is no greater threat to our way of life, capitalism, and apple pie than healthcare for the poor. Well, except maybe busloads of immigrant children.

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , | 1 Comment

House GOP Pass Another Amendment That Does Nothing

Two weeks ago House Republicans passed an amendment that would prohibit the Energy Department from blocking approval of offshore-drilling permits. The problem, of course, is that the Energy Department has nothing to do with offshore-drilling which falls under the purview of the Interior Department.

Last week House Republicans apparently passed another amendment, sponsored by Representative Pat Meehan (R-PA), that does nothing. The amendment to the Financial Services and General Government appropriations bill bans the use of funds to renovate the bowling alley in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building. And in this case, the renovations were already canceled.

But Rep. José Serrano (D-N.Y.), the top Democrat on the House Appropriations Financial Services subcommittee, said Meehan’s amendment was “silly.” He noted that the GSA had already canceled the project, as the federal contractor posting was pulled on July 9. It is unclear what the cost would have been for the renovation for the bowling alley, which has been in use since 1955.

In all seriousness, Meehan stood by his amendment that does nothing.

“I suspect it is only silly if you are the people who don’t care about the important expenditures of the taxpayers of the United States of America,” Meehan said. “This isn’t some trivial issue. This is a question of priorities at a time where every family is struggling.”

Actually, this is quite trivial.

Posted in Congress, Stupid Party | 6 Comments

Mixed Messages

Representative Steve Pearce (R-NM) was among a delegation who visited Honduras and Guatemala last week and he says violence is not driving immigration to the United States, however the delegation was afraid to leave the hotel during their stay.

Congressman Steve Pearce said Wednesday that most immigrants from Central America who are crossing illegally into the United States are driven by economic reasons, not fear of physical danger in their homeland. [...]

Pearce said he and the rest of the House delegation that visited Honduras and Guatemala did not venture from their hotel very often because of the dangers, but the message they received in both countries was consistent: “Send back our children.”

If delegates and congressmen who presumably have an armed security detail are afraid to leave their hotel, what must impoverished children be dealing with?

Posted in Epic Fail, Immigration | Tagged , , | 6 Comments

Wisconsin GOP Argue Over Who’s the Biggest Fan of Impeachment

JindalStupidParty

The clown show that is the race for Wisconsin’s sixth congressional district has apparently devolved into a competition to see who can make the most ridiculous case for impeaching President Obama.

All four Republicans running for the seat have their own reasons or variations of the same basic message.

via TPM

“He should be impeached for so many things,” state Sen. Glenn Grothman (R) said at the forum.

You begin to see the markings of a totalitarian state,” he added about the pattern created by the administration’s IRS and NSA scandals.

“So many things.”

State Sen. Joe Leibham (R) said that if Obama lied about how much he knew about the IRS scandal, that would be “grounds for impeachment.”

“His presidency is a scandal,” Leibham said. “He has destroyed America from the great capitalistic country it used to be.

America was destroyed and no one told me?

State Rep. Duey Stroebel (R) said the administration’s response to the Benghazi attack topped his list of scandals.

President Obama is doing his best to tear the country down,” Stroebel added later.

picard_riker_double_facepalm

Tom Denow, the fourth candidate who has never held elected office, agreed with the other candidates that a special prosecutor should investigate the IRS scandal, according to the Journal Sentinel.

Sometimes I wonder if Republicans will still be bleating about the IRS and Benghazi two years from now in 2016.

None of the issues they continue to campaign against will be resolved by 2016 because there is nothing to resolve. In their alternative universe, these are earth-shattering scandals that prove everything they ever thought about President Obama, but in reality they will remain as they are — fake scandals that led nowhere — and take their place among the undying conspiracy theories of yore.

Posted in Stupid Party, Super Stupid | Tagged , , , , , , | 12 Comments

Idiot and Troll From Washington Decries Idiots and Trolls From Washington

rand_paul_derp

You can give Obstructionist Extraordinaire Rand Paul credit for one thing — he knows how to stroke the monumental egos of disillusioned, libertarian tech bros.

Rand decried the “disaster” of Washington — a disaster he helped create — and told them that they can do what government cannot at a conference in Silicon Valley over the weekend.

I have nothing but optimism when I’m out here because I see amazing potential for growth away from the disaster that is Washington. I don’t have to think there has to be a governmental solution for everything,” the Kentucky senator told hundreds of people gathered in a hotel ballroom here. “… Don’t be depressed with how bad government is. Use your ingenuity, use your big head to think of solutions the marketplace can figure out, that the idiots and trolls in Washington will never come up with.

Of course there are many things government can do but has not been allowed to do by Senator Rand Paul and his Senate Republican colleagues.

Rand doesn’t merely think there isn’t a governmental solution for everything; he thinks there isn’t a governmental solution for anything.

As for being an idiot and a troll — it was “stand with Rand” Paul who embarked on a 13-hour filibuster over drones and then later said he would be okay with using a drone to take out a petty liquor store thief.

Posted in Rand Paul, Stupid Party | Tagged | 6 Comments

You Won’t Believe How Bill O’Reilly Wants to Secure the U.S.-Mexico Border

There are certain historical ideas and precedents that we probably shouldn’t embrace if we want people to take us seriously. For example, we shouldn’t describe a solution to a problem as the “final solution.” Likewise, no one should ever say anything resembling “slavery was good for the blacks because…” (I’m looking at you, Pat Buchanan), or if someone within ear-shot begins to say “that Bin Laden guy was right about one thing…” please feel free to karate chop them in the throat.

If you find yourself inadvertently traveling down such a road, you’d better slam the ejector-seat button and get the hell out as best you can. But if you choose to deliberately ignore this basic rule, I don’t even want to know you.

Take Bill O’Reilly for example. Last week on his show, he went there. During a segment in which he chatted with guest Karl Rove about the immigration situation, O’Reilly suggested that it’d be a fantastic idea to build a wall along the entire length of the U.S.-Mexico border — just like the Berlin Wall.

If O’Reilly was a normal human being on a collision course with sounding like he’s about to positively invoke the Berlin Wall, he would’ve aborted long before the words “Berlin Wall” gurgled out of his face-hole. Sadly, O’Reilly isn’t a normal human being, and so, like Charles Krauthammer before him, he clearly sees the Berlin Wall as a masterstroke of genius to be borrowed and duplicated, rather than a ghoulish symbol of totalitarian oppression — a shameful relic of history to be avoided at all costs… CONTINUE READING

(ht Immigration Attorney April Cockerham)
Posted in Immigration, The Daily Banter | Tagged | Leave a comment

Morning Awesome

The White Stripes – “Seven Nation Army”

Posted in Morning Awesome, Music | Tagged | Leave a comment

The Bubble Genius Bob & Chez Show 7/17/14

bcs_uncle_rico

RELM_buttonUncle Rico: Malaysia Airlines Jet Shot Down Over Ukraine; Pro-Russia Separatists to Blame; The World is Going to Line Up Against Putin; Putin is Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite; Howard Stern Prankster Calls MSNBC During Ukraine Coverage; NBC News Replaces Its Gaza Reporter with Richard Engel; Qualifications to be a Writer for First Look Media; Limbaugh Disagrees with Limbaugh About Impeachment; and more. Brought to you by Bubble Genius, the BobCesca.com Amazon Link and the Bowen Law Group.

There’s more political banter in the Bob & Chez Show After Party. If you’re not a member, subscribe already. Only $6/month, cancel any time.

NEW! Download individual After Party podcasts for $2 each via our Band Camp page.

Download the mp3 (53 minutes, 22mb)
RSS Feed
Bob & Chez Show Archive

Bubble Genius

Posted in Bob and Chez Show | 4 Comments