Oklahoma Governor Signs Ban on Higher Wages, Paid Sick Days

Apparently it’s not bad enough that Oklahoma has refused to participate in the expansion of Medicaid. Governor Mary Fallin (R) has just signed a bill that prohibits cities in Oklahoma from passing their own labor laws.

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Cities in Oklahoma are prohibited from establishing mandatory minimum wage or vacation and sick-day requirements under a bill that has been signed into law by Gov. Mary Fallin. [...]

Opponents say those decisions should be left up to individual communities. They complain the bill specifically targets Oklahoma City, where an initiative is underway to a establish a citywide minimum wage higher than the current federal minimum wage.

More:

Fallin said she signed the bill out of the worry that higher local minimum wages “would drive businesses to other communities and states, and would raise prices for consumers.” She also argued that “most minimum wage workers are young, single people working part-time or entry level jobs” and that “many are high school or college students living with their parents in middle-class families.

That may have been the case 10 or 15 years ago, but that is not the case today. The situation was already growing dire, but the 2008 financial crisis and the resulting recession pushed more adults, many of whom are educated, into minimum wage jobs.

I assume that most Republicans are clueless on what the job market really looks like, but even if they understood I doubt they would drop the tired rhetoric.

If you’re among the working poor in Oklahoma, the Republican party is doing everything they can to keep you down. They don’t want you to have a livable wage or healthcare.

Posted in Assholery, Jobs | Tagged , , | 10 Comments

Bundy Militiamen Planned to Use Women as Human Shields

Bundy militiaman Eric Parker takes aim at Bureau of Land Management agents (Jim Urquhart/Reuters)

Bundy militiaman Eric Parker takes aim at Bureau of Land Management agents (Jim Urquhart/Reuters)

Former Arizona Sheriff Richard Mack, one of the militiamen who showed up in Nevada to defend Cliven Bundy, told Fox News that they were planning to use women as human shields if fighting broke out.

MACK: “We were actually strategizing to put all the women up at the front. If they are going to start shooting, it’s going to be women that are going to be televised all across the world getting shot by these rogue federal officers.”

A sane man would ensure that women and children are well out of harm’s way before carrying out their armed insurrection, but not these men. They planned to sacrifice women first.

Actually, a sane man would never be there to begin with because it’s none of their fucking business and because Cliven Bundy has broken the law for 20 years.

It’s a good thing I’m not in charge because, if I were, every single one of these dickless, ignorant schmucks would be rounded up.

We’re edging closer and closer to an outbreak of domestic terrorism and the conservative entertainment complex is egging it on. The right has been thoroughly brainwashed and radicalized by Fox News, Hate Radio, and the NRA.

NBC News has photos from the standoff that are gobsmacking. Apparently the Oath Keepers and Minutemen made an appearance too. You may also immediately notice that they’re all white guys.

(top photo via The Atlantic)

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , , | 29 Comments

Outreach

Is the Civil Rights Act unconstitutional? Did we make a mistake by passing it?

When asked that question by an African American constituent, Ted Yoho (R-FL) could only say that he isn’t sure.

YOHO: This country grew through a lot of growing pain. We’re going through it again. As we grow as a country and prosper, we’re going to go through it again in the future. That’s why I’m so thankful for the Constitution because it allows us to do that. Is it constitutional, the Civil Rights Act? I wish I could answer that 100 percent. I know a lot of things that were passed are not constitutional, but I know it’s the law of the land.

I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to that moment during the 2016 primary debate season when Republican candidates are asked if the Civil Rights Act is unconstitutional.

If Rand Paul runs for president, the issue will certainly come up and their responses should be enlightening.

I imagine long deliberations and diatribes when a simple ‘yes’ would suffice, and if they dare answer ‘yes’ they’ll see immediate push-back from their lunatic base of followers.

The Schadenfreude will be monumental.

Posted in Stupid Party, Super Stupid | Tagged , , , , | 8 Comments

Far-Right ‘Shoe Truthers’ Believe Hillary Clinton Staged Shoe-Throwing Incident

“This is a farewell kiss from the Iraqi people, you dog!” That’s what a journalist named Muntadhar al-Zaidi shouted when he hurled his shoes at President Bush’s head during a press conference back in 2008.

You don’t have to dig very deeply into my archives to discover that I was neither a fan of the Iraq War nor the Bush administration. Admittedly there were times when I went a little overboard in my criticism, but I stand by much of what I wrote (the substance, at least, not so much the style). That said, when al-Zaidi winged his shoes at the president, and having been old enough to remember the assassination attempt against Ronald Reagan, I was appalled by the act and I wasn’t shy about expressing my disgust with some of my friends and peers who celebrated the occasion.

Not only was it a violent physical assault against the President of the United States, which, supporter or not, is an attack against the United States itself, but I generally find these sorts of protests to be profoundly ugly and counterproductive. It doesn’t matter if it’s Code Pink accosting Condoleezza Rice, or if it’s a kid hurling a pie at Bill Kristol. Again, I loathe Kristol and I think Rice was an awful Secretary of State, but assailing them in public is the worst, most obnoxious form of activism I can think of.

Such deeds send sends a very clear message: 1) you’ve got nothing of substance to say, and 2) you’re a child.

Such is the case with the crazy lady who hurled a shoe at Hillary Clinton the other day. Her name is Alison Michelle Ernst and, during the Scrap Recycling Industries convention in Las Vegas, she managed to get into an auditorium where Clinton was speaking. From the aisle, Ernst threw an orange soccer shoe at the former Secretary of State along with a wad of paper containing information about “Operation Cynthia,” a Bolivian op aimed at capturing Che Guevara in 1967.

As you might’ve guessed, it turns out Ernst is a conspiracy theorist of the Alex Jones InfoWars variety. Among other things, we’ve learned that Ernst is obsessed with the trial of James Holmes, the gunman who mowed down 82 people, killing 12, inside an Aurora, Colorado movie theater. However, she’s not just into the case in a courtroom drama, Nancy Grace way, Ernst insists that Holmes is a victim of the New World Order and that the conspirators behind it had brain-washed Holmes, implanting the idea for the shooting in his head, not unlike the MK/ULTRA mind-control program, a popular conspiracy theorist hobby horse. Indeed, there are numerous articles at InfoWars on the Holmes/mind-control connection.

On one occasion, Ernst disrupted the Holmes trial with loud outbursts and was obviously removed from the courtroom. Afterwards, she filed a motion that read in part:

“Holmes is an innocent man. James Holmes must be released to me asap [sic]. This is a huge conspiracy involved in with new world and a group of cabal evil worldwide crooks who want to control the world through false flag attacks akin to George Orwell 1984 [sic].”

Yeah, her cheese has definitely fallen off her cracker. She went on to write, “James Holmes [is] entering my mind through subliminal messaging and causing me to be obsessed with him on a daily basis.” I’m not sure the Alex Jones crowd has ever gone that far, but there it is.

So it should come as no surprise that there’s now a conspiracy theory surrounding Ernst herself. Yep, say hello to the “Shoe Truthers.” They believe Ernst was a Clinton plant, coached to throw the shoe and Che Guevara page at the would-be presidential candidate… READ MORE

Posted in Alex Jones, Hillary Clinton, Rush Limbaugh, The Daily Banter | Tagged | 1 Comment

Morning Awesome

Rush – “The Enemy Within” Live

Continuing our Grace Under Pressure 30th anniversary theme week.

Posted in Morning Awesome, Music | Tagged | Leave a comment

The Ranch is Mine

RanchisMine

Artist – Pat Bagley

In other news, the Manhattan District Attorney has reportedly opened an investigation into Governor Chris Christie’s office. I believe this marks 4 concurrent investigations.

Meanwhile, the Republican party of Wisconsin will vote to affirm their right to secede from the United States at their state convention next month.

Posted in Chris Christie, Open Thread | Tagged , , , | 1 Comment

Rand Paul Contorts Himself On Immigration, Jeb Bush

rand_paul_derp

If you can read this without laughing you’re probably not yet as jaded and cynical as I am.

Rand Paul (R-LibertyLand) says Jeb Bush should have been more “artful” when he said immigrants come to America out of love.

“You know, I think he might have been more artful, maybe, in the way he presented this. But I don’t want to say, oh, he’s terrible for saying this. If it were me, what I would have said is, people who seek the American dream are not bad people,” Paul said on ABC’s “This Week.” “However, we can’t invite the whole world. When you say they’re doing an act of love and you don’t follow it up with, but we have to control the border, people think well because they’re doing this for kind reasons that the whole world can come to our country.”

If you were to only sample Rand’s comments from this, you would probably have no idea what he really believes about immigration.

Between half-assedly disagreeing with Jeb for not being “artful” enough, to finding a back-door way to agree with him in spirit, and then implying that we can’t allow people to feel good about themselves for coming here illegally; it’s gobbledygook.

It’s very libertarian, but I repeat myself.

The reflexive, knee-jerk reaction of conservatives to Jeb Bush saying something that does not demonize immigrants as sub-human leeches was predictable. And what Rand Paul had to say was not the worst of the bunch because, as has become apparent, he’s running for president, for pete’s sake.

Jeb Bush doesn’t have a chance in hell in the GOP primary if he insists on portraying immigrants as humans capable of feeling complex emotions.

Posted in Immigration, Rand Paul | Tagged , | 4 Comments

Deficit Falls for a Fifth Year in a Row

According to the Congressional Budget Office, the federal budget deficit for 2014 will be nearly $200 billion less than 2013, falling from $680 billion to $492 billion thanks in part to record tax revenue.

via Bloomberg

“This will be the fifth consecutive year in which the deficit has declined as a share of GDP since peaking at 9.8 percent in 2009,” CBO said. The 20-page report is an update of CBO’s 10-year baseline projections released in February.

The 2.8 figure as a percentage of gross domestic product is lower than the 3.1 percent average of the last 40 years, CBO said.

Many people look back at the Budget Control Act and lament it, and while the effects of sequestration have been unfortunate, it shouldn’t be forgotten that President Obama and the Democrats managed to insert a large tax increase on the rich into the bill without Republicans realizing it.

In addition to the lowest deficit since 2007, the Congressional Budget Office also reported today that revenue will surpass $3 trillion for the first time.

The U.S. government is projected to collect more than $3 trillion for the first time in the fiscal year ending Sept. 30, a 9.2 percent increase over last year, according to the Congressional Budget Office. CBO forecasts another 9 percent rise in 2015 and estimates that more than half of the increases in revenue stem from tax law changes.

Taxes on the lavish insurance plans of the rich under Obamacare will also lead to increased revenue.

It’s not rocket science. Raising taxes on rich allows the nation to pay it’s bill and it doesn’t kill the economy because most of that money was simply going to be collecting dust anyway.

I certainly don’t mean to gloss over spending cuts that have been reluctantly implemented over the past several years, but I do believe the next administration will be in a much stronger position because of the sacrifices and the progress made by the current administration.

Posted in Open Thread, Taxes | Tagged , , | 4 Comments

Mike Huckabee Not Sure if the US is More Free Than North Korea

Mike Huckabee isn’t sure who enjoys more freedom today; North Korea or the United States.

“Freedom of speech in this country, that for which the men grabbed their muskets off the mantel, did never mean that we’re to have fewer voices, but more voices,” Huckabee said. “My gosh, I’m beginning to think that there’s more freedom in North Korea sometimes than there is in the United States,” he continued. “When I go to the airport, I have to get in the surrender position while people put hands all over me,” Huckabee lamented.

My gosh, look how free people in North Korea are:

NKTorture1

Here’s some more freedom:

NKTorture2
NKTorture3

The above cartoons were drawn by Kim Kwang-il, a refugee from North Korea who spent six years in one of the nation’s gulags. He shared these drawings with the UN High Commission on Human Rights earlier this year.

I don’t like the TSA any more than the next person, but I don’t think a pat-down or taking your shoes off is in the same ballpark or even the same solar system as North Korea’s gulags and work camps.

The Bundy Ranch incident, in which a wingnut rancher is facing the consequences for failing to pay fees for over two decades, also isn’t comparable.

Posted in North Korea, Wingnuts | Tagged , | 10 Comments

Jewish Center Shooter’s Associates Include MLK March Bomber, North Dakota Supremacist

MillerPerpWalk

Frazier Glenn Miller, the 73-year old white nationalist who opened fire at a Jewish community center before yelling “Heil Hitler” in Kansas City, Missouri yesterday, was close associates with Kevin William Harpham, the man arrested for the attempted bombing of a Martin Luther King Jr. unity march in Washington in 2011.

The site where Harpham shared his ideas with racist comrades, the Vanguard News Network (VNN), was created in 2000 by Alex Linder, a former National Alliance member. The VNN site motto is “No Jews, Just Right.” In addition to featuring racist and anti-Semitic blog articles, the site has become a virtual meeting place for nearly three thousand white nationalists. Linder runs the site from his Kirksville, Missouri home. He also publishes the crude racist tabloid, The Aryan Alternative, with fellow Missouri white nationalist Frazier Glenn Miller.

[...]

Miller thanked Harpham for a “gigantically large” donation of $500, according to a post on VNN in December 2006. The posting also noted that the contribution paid for nearly 7,000 copies of the tabloid and that Harpham was one of the top 5 or 6 donors from the site. Harpham also donated cash to Miller’s 2006 and 2010 congressional campaigns.

More from the Southern Poverty Law Center:

On January 17, 2011, less than 12 hours after posting on VNN, Kevin William Harpham placed an improvised explosive device concealed in a backpack along a Martin Luther King parade route in Spokane Washington. The lead sinkers in the radio-detonated IED were coated with Warfarin rat poison, evidently intended to increase bleeding. Had the device functioned, dozens of men, women and children would have been killed or injured. Harpham also distributed The Aryan Alternative.

Miller has connections to other well-known and infamous white supremacists.

According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, Miller was still posting on the Vanguard News Network forums as recently as Saturday, a day before the shooting. In his last post he reportedly wrote that he spoke with Craig Cobb.

The suspect, Frazier Glenn Miller, was a prolific poster under the screen name “Rounder” on a website called the Vanguard News Network, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center. The center, which tracks hate groups, flagged a thread Miller posted Saturday that described a phone conversation with Craig Cobb, a fugitive from Canada who tried to mold a tiny North Dakota town into an all-white enclave until he wound up in jail on charges of terrorizing residents.

If you go back a few years you’d find Republicans bleating about a Department of Homeland Security memo on the threat right wing domestic terrorists and veterans may pose, but there has been a pattern of incidents ever since vindicating everything said in it. Miller served in the army for 20 years. Harpham served in the army between 1996 and 1997.

In every sense of the word, these men are domestic terrorists.

The Southern Poverty Law Center has a comprehensive bio on Frazier Glenn Miller.

(photo via KCTV)

Posted in Terrorism | Tagged , , , | 7 Comments

The Bundy Ranch Fiasco: Another Chapter in the Continuing Story of Unhinged, Anti-Government Outrage

There are so many layers of ridiculousness in the Bundy Ranch story, it’s difficult to know where to begin. Above all else, it ended up being a fantastic opportunity for a pack of ignorant states’ rights cowboys to get intimate with their rebellion and secessionist fetishes, while figuratively pointing a rifle at the president’s head.

In case you haven’t been following along, a Mormon rancher named Cliven Bundy has been grazing his cattle on federally-owned land and hasn’t paid a penny in grazing fees since 1993. Attempts to collect the estimated $1 million in fees have ranged from revoking Bundy’s grazing rights, to numerous court orders requiring Bundy to pay what’s owed. Then, last week, the Bureau of Land Management rounded up around 400 head of cattle owned by Bundy but which were grazing on public land.

The BLM blocked access to the cattle with corral fencing and, in response, pro-Bundy protesters began to assemble in haste — some local, but many from out of state, responding to screeching from Alex Jones and the far-right media. Bundy’s son David was arrested during the protest, inciting Cliven to threaten a “range war” against the government. Meanwhile, a video began to circulate the internet showing Bundy supporters attempting to intimidate and shout down officers from the county sheriff’s department. At least one protester was tasered during the fracas.

It’s not difficult to forecast what happened next.

Given the degree of eliminationist, anti-government rage brewing since the 2009 inauguration of President Obama, along with amplified pro-gun, states’ rights rhetoric, events could’ve very easily slipped out of hand. And, indeed, armed conflict by the gaggle of Bundy supporters against federal authorities would’ve ended very badly for the Bundy people. Any bloodshed would’ve likely escalated into a counter-attack against the government and everything would’ve collapsed into chaos.

It’s the latter scenario that prompted the BLM to release the cattle and to back off. The Bundys declared a very premature victory, while the protesters celebrated the misguided notion that they successfully intimidated the government to stand down. But in fact the opposite is true. The BLM didn’t succumb to pressure, it simply decided to pursue the case using different methods that wouldn’t involve potentially mowing down the gathering militia in a fire fight. This wasn’t a retreat, it was a redeployment. The Bundys aren’t by any means off the hook and the government has deep pockets with which to pursue scofflaws and deadbeats who don’t pay what’s owed.

And that’s one of the primary aspects of this story. This wasn’t about freedom or government overreach. This was about a rancher who’s clearly leeching off the system, and then who subsequently got all pissy-pants when, after repeatedly ignoring numerous civil attempts at collection, gathered a posse of local hooples to fight the power: armed neo-Confederate cosplayers, Ron Paul cultists, weekend warriors and Alex Jones chemtrail-busters who literally formed a line of battle and foolishly advanced upon the government corral.

Watch this… READ MORE

Posted in Alex Jones, The Daily Banter | Tagged , , , | 3 Comments

Morning Awesome

Rush – “Distant Early Warning” Live

It’s the 30th anniversary of Rush’s Grace Under Pressure album, so here comes a P/G theme week.

Posted in Morning Awesome, Music | Tagged | Leave a comment

Blow To Wingnuttery

147039_600

Artist — Bill Day

In related news, Mike Huckabee(R-Fox) reminds everyone that evolution is for the enlightened, of whom he is not.

And after Republicans victoriously blocked the Paycheck Fairness Act this week in a huge victory for mostly white men everywhere, Marsha Blackburn(R-TN) reminded the country that she finds “this war on women rhetoric almost silly.” Said the representative of old-timey Southern values, “It is Republicans that have led the fight for women’s equality. Go back through history!” Lovely place, that version of history.

And Las Vegas is evidently a front-runner for consideration for the 2016 Republican National Convention because a stripper & liquor-based economy is just too much sinful temptation for the party of economic slavers and mental abusers to resist exploiting.

Posted in Cartoons, Lying Liars, Open Thread, Republican Party, War On Women | Tagged , , , , , | 2 Comments

The Bubble Genius Bob & Chez Show 4/9/14

bcs_bobquast

Converservative: Another Special Wednesday Show; Tax Time; Senate Campaign Ad Threatens to ‘Blow Your Balls Off’; The Crazy Arms Race; Eric Holder versus Louie Gohmert; Cast Aspersions on My Asparagus; The Sound City Documentary; Texas is Insane; Ron and Rand Paul are Now Mainstream Republicans; New Clip from Alex Jones Sidekick Dan Bidondi; Our Dan Bidondi Theme Song; and much more. Brought to you by Bubble Genius, the BobCesca.com Amazon Link and the Bowen Law Group.

There’s more political talk in this week’s After Party — Friday at Noon eastern time. If you’re not a member, subscribe already. Only $6/month, cancel any time.

Download the mp3 (54 minutes, 23mb)
RSS Feed
Bob & Chez Show Archive

Bubble Genius

Posted in Bob and Chez Show | 25 Comments

Pope Francis Crowd Surfs The Vatican Mosh Pit On Palm Sunday

Pope Francis, continuing to spread the gospel of denouncing everything conservative ideology represents by taking it to the streets and into the warm embrace of the masses:

Pope Francis-- Palm Sunday. 2014.

Pope Francis– Palm Sunday. 2014. (AP)

And the Lord said, ‘take unto this “selfie,” and spread thine message of love and liberal propaganda…’

Palm Sunday Mass in St. Peter's square at the Vatican, Sunday.  (AP)

Palm Sunday Mass in St. Peter’s square at the Vatican, Sunday. (AP)

I think I see Ellen in there somewhere. But this could be the first pope to be ‘selfied.’

At any rate, the images of Pope Francis being gobbled up by the adoring masses are only bolstered by the ideas coming out of his mouth. Ideas that are tantamount to an economic revolt in this country and the world over. Talk about your modern day radicals.

And the crowd goes wild…

Posted in Liberalism, Photography | Tagged , | 4 Comments

Great Save, Mr. President

Deplaning in Austin, Texas this past Thursday for the marking of the 50th anniversary of The Civil Rights Act at the LBJ Presidential Library, President Obama fought off aggressive wind gusts which were posing a direct threat to the honor of the first lady, saving her from a “Marilyn Monroe moment.”

Barack Obama

AP Photo

AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster

AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster

They say it’s the toughest job in the world.

AP Photo/Pat Sullivan

AP Photo/Pat Sullivan

It has its moments.

Posted in Michelle Obama, Photography, President Obama | Tagged , | 6 Comments

Over Ten Million Enrolled Is The New “Failure”

President Obama, with outgoing Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, and his nominee to replace Sebelius, current Budget director Sylvia Mathews Burwell, in the Rose Garden Friday. (Photo/Susan Walsh)

President Obama, with outgoing Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, and his nominee to replace Sebelius, current Budget director Sylvia Mathews Burwell, in the Rose Garden Friday. (Photo/Susan Walsh)

With the news of Secretary of Health and Human Services Katherine Sebelius resigning, now that she’s essentially saved the Affordable Care Act from:

The relentless onslaught of GOP-led government shutdowns and threats of economic destruction, especially in the weeks leading up to, and during, Health.gov going live.

The Supreme Court’s mixed messages on states’ rights and expansion of healthcare insurance, as well as its continued questionable ethics in entertaining ideas of “religious liberty.”

Over fifty repeals to return to the good old days of health insurance industry death panels.

Half the country’s governors still refusing to expand Medicaid.

The spending and misappropriation of millions by right wing billionaires and their orbiting think tanks to launch anti-Obamacare ads on the public airwaves.

Countless hours of right wing radio talking heads blasting it like rhetorical warships firing off stupid bombs from the shores of Jim Crow era yesteryear.

We should be able to honor a modern day American hero and champion of the people, right? Someone who faced down numerous congressional oversight committees and public town hall gatherings and promotional appearances to see the greatest expansion of health insurance since Medicare?

As usual, the clowns in the crazy car have opted for mocking and deriding this monumental achievement by re-writing the history and the rules of success:

Other reviews have been mixed, but most of the reviews I’ve seen being widely disseminated seem to be reflecting in a vacuum where the Republican party is not at all a dishonest broker and merely acting as the “loyal opposition” to preventing people from acquiring health insurance, and never once obstructing its passage. Like, “No, no, this is her fight, so let her pick herself up from the jack-booted mob stomping.” This is why terrible people win– There’s no political cover and rallying support for recognizing and doing the right thing.

For Republicans still promising to repeal it, the sadistic idiot fight goes on. And, with Paul Ryan’s budget being voted on and passed by House Republicans this past Thursday(219-205), the GOP is looking beyond simple repeal and are instead voting to ‘drown the government in a bathtub’ and brag that all those defensive scratches on their arms and faces are just battle-scars, babe.

Rep. Paul Ryan said after the vote,

“What this budget comes down to is a matter of trust,” said House Budget Committee Paul Ryan, who authored the budget. Republicans put their trust in individual Americans while Democrats put more trust in government, he said. “Who knows better: the people or Washington? We have made our choice with this budget.”

Rep. Nancy Pelosi was quick to remind people that these maniacs are pretty much mental and emotional degenerates at heart, saying of this week’s passage of the Ryan budget,

“Some people think it’s so ridiculous to dismiss as a joke,” she said just before the House recessed on Thursday. “It’s not funny. It’s deadly serious. And it’s not good for children and other living things.”

It’s not funny and it’s about time the U.S. media woke up to the fact that Republicans have gone insane and are not snapping out of it anytime soon. When you’re voting to end Medicare, cut SNAP and funnel the proceeds toward the military and tax cuts for the wealthy, repealing Obamacare is the best of the worst that you can do.

Rather than reflect on the legacy of a glitchy website’s roll-out, why not reflect on the fact that Katherine Sebelius has done more good for the American people than the entire Republican party that is quietly voting to rob America’s poor and working class?

Anyone using the website glitches as the lasting legacy of Katherine Sebelius while conveniently glossing over Republican sabotage and continued efforts to destroy America’s last line of defense between sickness and starvation and unprecedented corporate profits, should be ashamed of themselves. Anyone using unflattering polls to gauge the popularity of the Affordable Care Act have the stink of misinformation on their hands.

Katherine Sebelius took on some of the most powerful forces in America, sometimes when it seemed like it was her against the world, and she won. We all won.

Posted in Congress, Corporate Crime, Election 2014, Elections, Ethics, Far-right Intellectual Violence, Healthcare, Republican Party, Wingnuts | Tagged , , | 8 Comments

National Blade Association

NBA

Artist – Clay Bennett

In other news, the Pennsylvania teenager who went on a stabbing spree at his high school, injuring 21 students and staff, has been charged with 4 counts of attempted murder and 21 counts of assault.

So far none of the victims have died because their attacker was wielding knives. If he had a gun there’s no telling how many could have been killed.

Meanwhile, a free healthcare clinic in rural Arkansas is closing it’s doors after 15 years of operation because Obamacare is now covering their former patients.

Posted in Guns, Healthcare, Open Thread | Tagged , | 2 Comments

The Daily Show vs NCAA

This may be my favorite thing of the week.

Some of the players integral to the NCAA tournament do not have enough money to eat, but I guess that’s the price you pay to be involved in a struggling start-up charity tournament like March Madness.

While many big-time college sports schools have made a mockery of academic standards for athletes in order to continue to compete at the highest levels, creating no-show classes, pre-determined majors and grades to maintain the illusion of academic compliance; point taken.

If they’re broke, why fix it?

Posted in Comedy, Education, Sports | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

The Miami-Dade County Elections Department Are Dicks

The fact that you will no longer be able to use the bathroom at polling precincts in Miami-Dade County is not as amazing to me as the reason why.

After a disability rights lawyer asked the county elections department if bathroom facilities at polling precincts were accessible to the disabled, the department responded in the most asinine way possible.

[He] received a written response announcing that the county would close all restrooms at polling places “to ensure that individuals with disabilities are not treated unfairly,” a January email stated. “[T]he Department’s policy is not to permit access to restrooms at polling sites on election days,” Assistant County Attorney Shanika Graves said in a Feb. 14 email. Elections Department officials did not immediately respond to ThinkProgress inquiries.

Nice bathroom you got there. It would be a shame if something happened to it.

It’s not clear if it’s even legal for the department to do this as it seemingly violates the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Posted in Voter Suppression | Tagged | 13 Comments